Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree16Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-08-2012

CapnBilll is on a distinguished road
Re: marina etiquette question

I offer tips whe I get good service, there was one marina where they handed it back saying they wern't allowed to keep them, but I'm sure he apreciated the offer, and the report I gave to management that he was doing a great job.

It never hurts to give out a few extra, I believe it will come back to you some day.

I am happy, and successful, and I believe one reason is, I don't put money above people.
Old 09-08-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tspooner View Post
I don't know if all pump out facilities are the same or different as I've only visited my local one once in the year that I've had my boat. I secured the boat myself then searched out the dock attendant who handed me a nozzle which I inserted into the waste hole on the deck then he flicked a switch. When the pumping was finished he flicked the switch off and handed me a garden hose which I inserted into the hole and he turned on a tap. We repeated the first step over again now that I knew what my function was and then we were done. I paid him the standard $10.00 and neither one of us got a tip! When I was a kid I worked at a gas station and pumped the fuel, cleaned the customers windows (without asking) and checked the underhood liquid levels (after asking). The customers never got out of their cars and I never ever got a tip. It didn't occur to me that marina/boat service would be any different.
I don't think that scenario would generate a gratuity from me either.

My last pump out was done by calling the pump out boat to come to me. The gentlemen pulled up, tied himself off, opened my deck fitting pumped the boat out, closed my deck fitting, then hosed off the area on my deck and topsides with his hose even though he was careful not to spill a drop. He was pleasant and we shot the breeze about the weather and boating and whatnot during the 10 minute process. I gave him a ten bucks. Usually it's five, but, that's all I had and it was too nice a day to ask for change.

Oh, there is no fee for pump out boats in my neck of the woods. I can even order one online and schedule it ahead of time. I don't even have to be on the boat (I don't feel comfortable doing that, but the option is there.)

Last edited by RobGallagher; 09-08-2012 at 09:58 AM.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-09-2012

VallelyJ is on a distinguished road

Thank you all for the replies.
The consensus seems to be that pumpouts and other marina services, unlike table service at a restaurant, don't automatically require tipping. That works for me. I like the idea of tipping for especially good service--though I can't tell an exemplary pumpout from a mediocre one--and for service at a place where you intend to return. Tipping well but intermittently sounds effective. Intermittent reward reinforces behavior better than regular, predictable reward does, according to behavioral scientists.
I do think tipping has gotten out of hand in America. Tip jars next to cash registers irritate me. I don't feel like making up for an employer's failure to pay a decent wage. Assuming that 20% at a restaurant is now standard, rather than 15%, bugs me, too. 15% is still standard. The cost of a meal has gone up with inflation, and so has 15% of that.
So I intend to tip with discretion. When circumstances make me want to tip, I will. When tipping will ensure future advantage, I'll tip reluctantly. When I never plan to return to a place, I'll keep my money, maybe find one of those lap dance places. Just kidding.
Thanks again for your ideas.
John V.
Old 09-09-2012
Daysailor wannabe cruiser

lans0012 is on a distinguished road

I try to carry a stash of fives for this stuff. Marina guys and gals go the extra mile to give you an extra push, an extra long reach for the hose, fend you off the bad piling, or whatever. In FL, in the summer especially, you should tip because the guy or gal will be breaking a sweat no matter what. You know they don't get paid squat and they can keep you from getting another ding on the rail, or can keep you from looking like a dumba$$.

Just tip...it's only like .005 of a boat buck.
Old 09-10-2012

Serendipitous is on a distinguished road

We've always tipped for pump-outs. The cost for the pump-out itself is usually $5-10 and depending on the level of service we give the person $3-5. Haven't had anyone refuse it yet!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Jessica
Muskegon, MI
89' Sabre 34 Targa

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-10-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

If the job is a tipping job like a waitress then the money she gets for wages in this country doesn't pay the gas to get to work. Now I know in other country's employers either pay a living wage or go out of business Darwin style. But here either tip or don't eat in the restaurant. Most places around the water with tourists like Florida just add it to the bill to help those who don't know any better.

And if you want Johnny on the spot service from someone working less than a living wage then tip up front like I do. Go to a busy nightclub and make the bartender wait for a tip see what happens.
Sometimes a few bucks up front to the server or dock boy makes all the difference between a great stay and a lousy one. Hey at 160 dollars plus plus a night for a 40 footer in KW maybe the 10 bucks up front will let you get close to your moneys worth.

Last edited by ParadiseParrot; 09-10-2012 at 10:38 AM.
Old 09-10-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

If they offer to flush the tank with fresh water - sure I'll tip. If it's a kid who only does the minimum and resents having to do it - nope.
My last 2 pump outs were at Magothy Marina - friendly staff that goes the distance to take care of you. The girl (hefty, rubber boots, can't miss her) there offered to flush the tank until clean water came out - took her 15 minutes of fill and pump to get there. She got a 20.
Whether she spends it on cell phone bills or credit hours at college is up to her.

Pump out in Md is regulated at 5 bucks - no Marina makes money on that.
Old 09-10-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

If it weren't for people too cheap to tip, tipping wouldn't work. For those that argue against it, keep it up.

p.s. the best tippers are typically those that have made a living on tips (waiters and bartenders themselves). The worst are those that have zero pay grade difference based on competence or effort (teachers and municipal employees). No offense intended toward the exceptions to the rule.
jimrafford likes this.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-10-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

I'd like to think that I'm an exception but only due to my incompetence in math. It's just easier for me to figure out 20% than 15% or 18% in my head.

If the service is exceptionally poor then I will haul out my calculator or pencil and leave 15%, but never less.

But I do appreciate the fact that waiters are dependent on those tips augmenting their paychecks.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 09-10-2012

tomandchris is on a distinguished road

Donna, if you give 15% for exceptionally poor service then you are accepting that as the standard. If that be the case how much should you give for exceptionally great service? 5% extra or 15% extra?

If you give a really poor service/servor 15% I hope you at least complain to management on the way out the door so they can improve the situation. If I get poor service I will ask for the manager. I won't stiff the server without the server and the manager knowing why...otherwise I am guilty as well.

On the OP question I take good care of marina personnel and they take good care of me. It is worth the dollars spent to get the extra good service.