SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   marina etiquette question (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/91856-marina-etiquette-question.html)

VallelyJ 09-07-2012 08:31 PM

marina etiquette question

I'd have thought there'd be posts on this, but can't find any.
Do people normally tip marina help when you get a pump-out, and if so, how much and under what circumstances?
It seems like the kind of dirty job I ought go tip the person a few bucks for. OTOH, marinas charge enough and it's their job to pay their help. What do others do?
Thanks for input on this.
JV

jnorten 09-07-2012 08:44 PM

Re: marina etiquette question

You're right to tip a few bucks. At the fuel / pump-out dock, or even in non-marina settings, when someone is friendly and helpful, a tip is a thoughtful act. When our garbage man at home takes trash from a home-improvement project, the mailman at Christmas, etc. are all instances where we tip something.

CalebD 09-07-2012 08:45 PM

This is really a personal preference thing I'd guess.
Some states allow marinas to charge a fee for a pump out and some do not.
MD allows them to charge a fee, NY does not.
Some places in NY are DIY pump out so I feel no compunction to tip someone for doing nothing.
On behalf of myself and the other cheapskates here I'd ask you not to go too wild with your tipping as then the staff will be expecting all of us to tip as well!

Siamese 09-07-2012 09:23 PM

I would never degrade anyone by tipping them:laugher

I tip for meals. I don't stay at hotels where tipping is necessary. And I don't tip for much of anything else. Certainly not a pumpout.

bljones 09-07-2012 09:35 PM

I always tip for a pumpout, because i figure the minimum wage that the dock jockeys get paid is not nearly enough money to put up with my sh*t.

I would never degrade good customer service by NOT tipping.

RobGallagher 09-07-2012 09:37 PM

Tipping is a personal choice. If you feel someone deserves a little extra give it to them. If not, by all means don't.

I do know that marina employees get tipped, but it would not be expected.

If in doubt, like at a pump out (station or boat) I judge the level of service.

Then I think to my self, "self.. this nice kid is probably in school or this nice gentleman is retired or this nice man might be in between jobs and doing this to just get by, so self.... I think I throw him a fiver and it might go to a six pack, tuition, or maybe it will help pay the rent, so I hope they enjoy it"

or

"self... this guy/gal is a lazy asshat and I hope they figure out why they don't get tipped before it's too late for them"

Either way, I sleep well :D

DRFerron 09-07-2012 09:44 PM

It's my understanding that tipping is more of a U.S. thing. Maybe I'm wrong.

So, there is a marina on the Bay that in the summer hires young ladies for the fuel dock who perform the service in bikinis. Would that make a difference to tipping?

RobGallagher 09-07-2012 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRFerron (Post 919630)
It's my understanding that tipping is more of a U.S. thing. Maybe I'm wrong.

So, there is a marina on the Bay that in the summer hires young ladies for the fuel dock who perform the service in bikinis. Would that make a difference to tipping?

Well, yes, it is more of a US thing. In my experience, among the expat society in "2nd world countries" it's a matter of war between Yanks and Brit/Euros with the Asians somewhere in the middle.

The Olde Continent hates us because we drive up prices and make the strippers, bartenders, hookers and coffee jerks put up a tip jar and tend to give shite service to repeat customers who don't tip.

Then again, leaving a good tip can get you stiff drinks or...

IMHO tipping pays for itself in the long run. It's good for the economy and it assures you get to the front of the line. That, sadly, pisses off the non-tippers of the world. And, sadly for them, they stay at the back of the line and never get a free drink or an extended lap dance :laugher

They do tend to die with more money though.;)

chrisncate 09-07-2012 10:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRFerron (Post 919630)

Depends if Cate has got my wallet in her purse..

(she does)

miatapaul 09-07-2012 10:35 PM

I like to tip with non monetary way whe possible. I think a six pack makes a bigger impact than the same amount of money. Or an invitation to a gathering on the dock. This has been my experience both on the giving and receiving end.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk 2