Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012

H and E is on a distinguished road
Re: Single-handed Sailing, So. Calif.

I single-hand my Catalina 25 quite often. The boat is rigged so the only thing I have to do on deck is handle the main. (Furler on headsail) I added a Tiller Clutch, which works quite well to leave the helm for various reasons. I installed a trap in the slip that makes arriving much easier. Departing is not a problem. The slip is into the prevailing wind so I leave the engine at idle in forward until I get the bowlines in place. All the lines stay on the dock when leaving. The trap keeps the boat somewhat centered in the slip at the bow. I grab the port stern line first on the way in. (Boat walks to port when I put it in reverse)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2012

rlltrash is on a distinguished road

Thank you all very much for the information. It is quite helpful.

However, the original intent of this post was to seek information about online forums (and other resources) dealing with Single-handed sailing. I sidetracked the topic by asking the first two responders about boats.

So, please let me know if you know of any good single-handed sailing forums and/or other resources. If anyone would like to contact me directly, my email address is: < rlltrash@yahoo.com >

I have another post in the "Boat Review and Purchase Forum" that asks about boats that are suitable for single-handed sailing. The post's title is: "Faster than a Cal 20". I would be very happy to hear more suggestions about them.

Thanks, Richard
Old 09-12-2012

NewportNewbie is on a distinguished road
I think we got your original intent and the general consensus is there are not a lot of forums focused JUST on singlehanded sailing and since ALOT of the people here singlehand you might use this forum for the same purposes. So ask away or search "singlehanded" and you may be surprised.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-18-2012

TriCoastRich is on a distinguished road

Hi Richard,
I'm actually somewhat in the same "boat" as you. Pun... may be intended.
I took 2 courses of sailing classes in MDR, but I've been away from it for a while. I want to get back into sailing, but knowing that my family or friends may not be there when I have my days off (which are weekdays) I will have to be mainly soloing around. So, this thread is very useful and interesting to me as well. I'm just trying to decide what the best way to get back into it is. MDR is the closest harbor to me, and I work near there as well.

Good luck!
Rich
Old 09-18-2012

seaojoe is on a distinguished road

As I get older, I scrutinize potential boats more than ever.
My present boat is one that I can work from the cockpit.
It helps a bunch in planing my moves. I single hand all of the time. Plan your moves well in advance. When I'm leaving the dock, I tie all lines together, except one, which is my aft spring, that lies on the dock. That is my first line that I grab to ease her into the slip. I do not have roller furling, and I thought that would make things more difficult. It hasn't, and I've learned to work around it.
This is the first boat that i've owned with a self tacking jib. That, along with running all lines aft, make this a treat.
Shout if I can help.
barefootnavigator likes this.
Old 09-18-2012

weinie is on a distinguished road

Seojoe, What boat is that? She looks beautiful!

OP,
When I first got back into sailing and purchased my Catalina 27 a couple of years ago, I soon realized how impractical it was going to get people to find the time, between work and families, to come with me. And then on those days that they did, I often found that between cell phone calls, return deadlines, etc, I began to realize I enjoyed going out by myself more than not.

Unfortunately, at least on my boat, an autopilot is pretty much essential if you are going to single hand. It can be done without it, but you'll find that its easier turn "otto" on and go on deck to free a sheet that got caught on a hatch or whatever than to stop, heave to, fix the problem and then accelerate again. I also hit the auto tack buttons to tack, and have plenty of time to throw off the old sheet, haul in the new and then re-trim the main while the wheel handles itself. And finally, its just really nice to get the sails trimmed, a course set, and let "otto" do his thing while you walk around, grab a drink, take a leak, fish, or do what ever.

Perhaps if my friends were experienced sailors, I might enjoy their company more. But for now, its me and otto.
Old 09-19-2012

rlltrash is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaojoe View Post
As I get older, I scrutinize potential boats more than ever. My present boat is one that I can work from the cockpit. It helps a bunch in planing my moves. I single hand all of the time. Plan your moves well in advance. When I'm leaving the dock, I tie all lines together, except one, which is my aft spring, that lies on the dock. That is my first line that I grab to ease her into the slip. I do not have roller furling, and I thought that would make things more difficult. It hasn't, and I've learned to work around it.
This is the first boat that i've owned with a self tacking jib. That, along with running all lines aft, make this a treat.
Shout if I can help.
Seaojoe

What kind of boat do you show in your photo? It looks very nice.

Richard
Old 09-19-2012

seaojoe is on a distinguished road

Not wanting to hijack this thread....In 1964, she started he life as a Sparkman and Stephens design, Sailmaster 22, built in Holland. Her deck and cabin were removed, she was stretched by adding 2' to her stern, bowsprit added and converted to a cutter. She's powered by a small yanmar that sips fuel. This work was done by her prior owner. She sails like nothing else I've owned, including a sistership, a stock Sailmaster 22, 5 years ago.
Thanks for your kind words.
Old 09-19-2012

Brewgyver is on a distinguished road

Seajoe, so it's a 24' (plus sprit) cutter? Sounds like fun! Do you have any other pics of her?

Thanks!
Old 09-19-2012

montenido is on a distinguished road

There has been some great advice already, so I'll keep mine short. I would recommend a Catalina 30 for single-handing. They are lots of fun, and can be had for very cheap. I have single-handed my C30, my C36, and now my CSY 44, which is a bit of a handful. As mentioned earlier, plan your moves well in advance. The most stress and work will be docking, at least it is for me.

Enjoy, Bill

"There is no unhappiness like the misery of sighting land (and work) again after a cheerful, careless voyage."
Mark Twain

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.