SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Single-handed Sailing, So. Calif. (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/91894-single-handed-sailing-so-calif.html)

rlltrash 09-08-2012 08:55 PM

Single-handed Sailing, So. Calif.

I am looking for an online forum (like this one) that deals with single-handed sailing, especially in southern California. The Single-handed Sailing Society in San Francisco has a forum section on their website, but that is the only one I have been able to find. The Pacific Singlehanded Sailing Association is located in Los Angeles, but their website does not have a forum. Do you know of any others?

My wife doesn't sail much and the children have all grown and left home. I figure that learning to sail solo will at least triple the number of sailing days I get. Where can I get answers to all my questions?

Richard

lajimo 09-08-2012 09:28 PM

Single-handed Sailing, So. Calif.

There are plenty of folks with good advice for single handed sailing on this forum - ask away.

travlineasy 09-08-2012 09:58 PM

Re: Single-handed Sailing, So. Calif.

Lots of folks single hand sail on this forum, including myself. Some with relatively small boats, some with boats in the 40s. All questions are relevant, so don't be bashful - ask away.

Cheers,

Gary :cool:

rlltrash 09-09-2012 01:54 AM

Thanks to both of you for your offers. Following is a little background (I will spare you most of the details.) Many years ago I sailed centerboard sloops on the Great Lakes (Lightnings, Flying Scots, and a few Thistles and Stars). I want to get back into sailing now and looked first at the boats I knew.

But, things are no longer the same. I will now sail along the coast of southern California where there are swells as well as waves. Since the children are all grown and gone, I seldom have crewmen handy. And, single-handed self-rescue in one of the above boats is next to impossible.

As much as I like small boats, apparently keel boats are the way to go for single-handed sailing off shore. I started looking for 18'-22' keel boats, but now I have been told that bigger is better, 30'-35' is best if I want to do any racing. (Day sailing is my first interest, but I do want to do some PHRF racing occasionally.)

So, the first question is what kind of boat should I really be looking for? The answer to that question will determine what kind of keel boat instruction, etc. I need before going solo in a big strange boat. Without a boat (or type of boat) in mind, it is hard to plan a course of action. (More questions to follow.)

Richard

ScottUK 09-09-2012 02:08 AM

http://sfbaysss.org/tipsbook/SinglehandedTips.pdf?id=1

WDS123 09-09-2012 08:02 AM

The biggest group of single handing sailors in SoCal are the Schock Harbor 20s

Harbor20.org

But the Harbor 20 isn't going to take you to Catalina, that would be a Schock Harbor 25 also designed for single handing

Harbor25.org

n0w0rries 09-09-2012 11:12 PM

Look to the local yacht clubs.

I belong to SYC, we have a SH/DH race every year but you just missed it.

NewportNewbie 09-10-2012 01:18 AM

I singlehand sail ALOT in SoCal out of Newport Beach. I am in Schock Santana 30. Very easy boat to sail and I have been in some pretty rough stuff as well. These boats can be had in good shape in the 10-15k range. There is a Santana 30/30 thats a very fast boat and for racing its great...less comfortable than a Santana 30 but faster and can probably be singlehanded fairly easily. They are more expensive in the 20k range, but I have seen some that were well used for under 10. I personally wouldnt look at a boat under 27 feet and I'd prefer a 30. In my opinion a 35+ becomes a bit too much to handle, but it depends on how the boat is rigged...It can be done. I once asked here the biggest boat you can comfortably singlehand. That depends on the person. There are people here that single hand 50 footers...Thats probably beyond my comfort zone, but a 30 is my perfect size right now. Its big enough so I dont feel like its too small in rougher water, but small enough to dock and maneuver in the harbor singlehanded. So I would look at boats in the 30 foot range. J boats are nice especially if you want to race...J/29s and J/30s are out there...but not for under 20k maybe 30...Hope that points you in the right direction.

MikeinLA 09-10-2012 03:00 AM

I've been sailing one of two Catalina 36s out of Marina del Rey for the past 26 years. If you want to learn to singlehand, I'll loan you my friends.:laugher I also actually singlehand often, mostly on weekdays when everyone is working. You will find that if there is any difficulty, it will be in docking/undocking. This is where a coastal fin keel boat like a Catalina excels. My boat handles like a really long car. Extremely predictable, relatively low windage and it stops on a dime (almost). I don't think I've touched the sides of my slip while docking in the last 20 years, even on windy days. Although I have a regular main, they can be had with a furling main which is really easy to handle. Just get yourself a reliable autopilot and you'll be set to go. The one thing I would mention about size, I moved up from a Catalina 30 (also a nice boat). The first thing I noticed was that when in choppy water, the 30 would bounce over it, but the 36 cuts through it providing a more stable platform. Aside from this, the 36 makes a great shoreside condo when you just want to hang out.

Mike

rbrasi 09-10-2012 01:36 PM

I singlehand my Cal 2-30 at least twice a week out of MDR, like Mike, mostly mid-week. It's comfortable going coastal or over to Catalina. It's the only boat I've ever had, so I couldn't compare. Mine is cockpit rigged and has roller furling, fin keel, tiller steering on a spade rudder. I don't use an autopilot. I only leave the cockpit to grab a snack. The waters here are pretty reliably tame. I see no reason to go smaller (you could always rent a dinghy sailboat if you wanted the sport of it). If I feel like tacking out of the channel, I do. It's good practice and when traffic is light, no one cares.