SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Help with Identification Please? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/91901-help-identification-please.html)

Kalina-Lona 09-09-2012 02:50 AM

Help with Identification Please?

Hi...we have been looking at a 1981 Irwin 28.5, so we thought? I went to the library and starting reading a book on how to buy a used sailboat.
There was an article on how to identify the "Huli Identification Number"
When I took the picture of the stamping on the transom, I didn't realize how poor the quality of the picture was. I was able to read the last 4 letters and I'm sure it identifies this boat as being built in 1977.
The article read as follows:
12 Elements....first 3 elements designate the builder...2 elements designate the model...3 elements designate the hull series...4 elements designate letters/numbers when construction began. August is Month "A"
I wanted to attach the photo here, but can't? I'd appreciate if someone would volunteer please to help me read this H.I.N. if you could send me your email via PM that would be great.
Thanks All,

Ron

CarbonSink62 09-09-2012 08:21 AM

Re: Help with Identification Please?

Can't you upload the pic to a photo sharing site and post the link?

Ken

Kalina-Lona 09-09-2012 09:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarbonSink62 (Post 920095)
Can't you upload the pic to a photo sharing site and post the link?

Ken

I suppose Ken... I was hoping that someone would have a photo program that would enhance the pictute I took and I would just send it to their email. I'll wait and see if that happens first, if not I'll have to do something else?

Ron

rikhall 09-09-2012 01:25 PM

Ron

Scroll to the bottom of this page and see if the information helps.

Rik

boatpoker 09-09-2012 05:50 PM

There are actually three different versions of HIN/MIC codes. Here is an article that tells how to decipher all three. "What's a HIN"

Kalina-Lona 09-10-2012 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boatpoker (Post 920248)
There are actually three different versions of HIN/MIC codes. Here is an article that tells how to decipher all three. "What's a HIN"

Thank you so much! The picture I took of the H.I.N is poor quality and would like someone to look at it and see if they can read it as is, or can enhance it on their computer to read.
I want to make sure I'm right before I approach the seller and advise him that his boat is a 1977 and not a 1981 as he advertised.
Cheers,

boatpoker 09-10-2012 08:23 AM

Send me the picture in a PM and I'll see what I can do.

rugosa 09-10-2012 09:43 AM

I'm in St Catharines and can meet you at boat - does that work? PM to confirm with contact info

boatpoker 09-10-2012 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rugosa (Post 920454)
I'm in St Catharines and can meet you at boat - does that work? PM to confirm with contact info

I'd be happy to look at your picture but I don't have time to drive to St.Catharines to look at the boat.

zeehag 09-10-2012 10:39 AM

hard to id something unseen without numbers or pix....