Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road
Re: Tell me one more time

Does the geography work for the liveaboard marina sidney777 suggested? You two move aboard and both work - you work a few years longer than you'd planned, she works a few years shorter than planned, you both save like crazy during the meantime and cruise summers, vacation weeks, etc? You then go cruising, a little later than you'd hoped, but earlier than you might have otherwise, and you're together?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project:
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

We're going to the boat show at Annapolis next month. We signed up for the "hands on the wheel" event and they gave us 6 boats to choose 3 and of that we will take the wheel of two, each on a different day.

The list:
A. Fountaine Pajot 40
B. Fountaine Pajot 43
C. Lagoon 440
D. Island Packet Estero 36
E. Jeanneau 372 Sun Odyssey
F. Hylas 54

We picked B, D & F but don't know which two we'll get. After that experience I'm afraid what I might do. Maybe hang on the ankle of some poor salesperson and say, "Take everything I have! I just want that boat!" The last time I was behind the wheel was in Newport a couple of years ago. We took one of those three hour cruises. I told the crew I was experienced and available for anything. Once we were out the guy at the helm said, "Julie. Take the wheel." I was in heaven! Later they both said how great it was to be able to enjoy the ride instead of having to be at the wheel all the time. Then I started telling them to trim the sails.

We told the Annapolis people we'd like one day to be on a cat. I've never been on one.

I have a feeling I'll come back a very changed person, if I come back at all.
HDChopper likes this.
Old 09-11-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Don't get on a cat... it will ruin you! I will never be able to afford a cat. However, after chartering a big cat, I am going to have a very hard time talking my wife into cramming onto a mono.
AKscooter likes this.
Old 09-11-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barquito View Post
Don't get on a cat... it will ruin you! I will never be able to afford a cat. However, after chartering a big cat, I am going to have a very hard time talking my wife into cramming onto a mono.

Actually, that worries me. Somehow the idea of having a "home on water", where you can fill the bathtub with water and know the water will stay there makes people forget things like waves.

However, I have been "programming" my partner.

"Cats are very wide. Most dock slips won't handle them."

"If a cat goes turtle, good luck righting it!"

"How can you enjoy burying the rail in a cat?"

"Monohulls were built from the expert's knowledge of the sea and what she can dish out. Cat's were built by powerboaters" (I made that last one up.)
Old 09-11-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road

So we get a sad song about money and limits...and you come up with a 40 foot catamaran as a boat you're evaluating?!?! Thats a *DREAM BOAT* for many *wealthy* sailors!! Time for some perspective...there are people cruising the oceans on $3000 re-floated derelicts (Fatty Goodlander for example)...now *THAT* is the sirens call of the sea.
Old 09-12-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by night0wl View Post
So we get a sad song about money and limits...and you come up with a 40 foot catamaran as a boat you're evaluating?!?! Thats a *DREAM BOAT* for many *wealthy* sailors!! Time for some perspective...there are people cruising the oceans on $3000 re-floated derelicts (Fatty Goodlander for example)...now *THAT* is the sirens call of the sea.
I have to sort of agree. Your list of boats:

Quote:
The list:
A. Fountaine Pajot 40
B. Fountaine Pajot 43
C. Lagoon 440
F. Hylas 54
Is sort of making it hard for me to sympathize with your house vs. boat dilemma. I read a review on the Hylas 54 (beautiful boat) stating its purchase price was around 700k.
Old 09-12-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

To have an long term adventure you need to buy a boat. Renting is not an option for most.
You can rent a house. IF your retiring then your old. Old people don't live forever...sorry but that the facts. You can't take the house with you.If you get big sick they will seize the house to pay for long term care and put you in a home.Then the house will be gone.

You can't sail a house and this website is about sailing. What did you think you would get for advise here.

As to the other guy? IF you can afford 700k for a boat you can have both boat and house.IF you didn't know this already it means your not the brightest bulb in the pack as they say. So where did you get 700k? Stop wasting everyone's time with lies.
Old 09-12-2012

peoples1234 is on a distinguished road

Clearly.....some people need a lesson in reading comprehension.

Quote:
We're going to the boat show at Annapolis next month. We signed up for the "hands on the wheel" event and they gave us 6 boats to choose 3 and of that we will take the wheel of two, each on a different day.

The list:
A. Fountaine Pajot 40
B. Fountaine Pajot 43
C. Lagoon 440
F. Hylas 54
She never said that she was buying any of those boats or even looking at them seriously. It is kind of like when you buy the Groupon coupon to drive a Ferrari around a parking lot for three laps. Yea, you can say you drove a Ferrari, but really you didn't DRIVE a Ferrari. You certainly aren't buying the Ferrari.
Old 09-12-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by peoples1234 View Post
She never said that she was buying any of those boats or even looking at them seriously.
In fairness, she also didn't say that she was not seriously looking. Her whole post made it sound like those were the types of boats she was in the market for.
Old 09-12-2012
formerly posting as eryka

wingNwing is on a distinguished road

Her budget is a moot point - those are the ONLY 6 boats you can choose from for this event! Really - the boat show is about selling new boats; the lower-budget boats aren't going to promote themselves with this expensive route.

Cinderella, CSY 33, Photo by Joe McCary

Regret for the things we did can be tempered by time; it is regret for the things we did not do that is inconsolable. - Sidney J. Harris

Shameless self-promotion - my blog for the Annapolis Capital newspaper:
still has some glitches to be worked out. Until then, I'm posting at:
and
! And a new project: