Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-12-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road
Re: Tell me one more time

WOW! See what happens when words are taken out of context? I become a multimillionaire!

Just an FYI: This "Take the Wheel" event is a little money making gig for someone at the Annapolis Sail Show. For $250.00 (we dug deep for that) a couple can "take the wheel" of a sailboat. They don't tell you much after that, until after you purchase tickets.

I really expected a selection of boats that would cover the range of what the average sailor would buy, not a list that ranges from a 38' Island Packet (not a cheap boat by any means) to a 54' Hylas - pocket change, if you're a billionaire.

When I saw the list, I really thought this whole thing was a bit deceiving but I figured I'd never be able to own any of these (except maybe an old IP) so why not be a millionaire for the day?

Now watch, we'll get there and there will probably be 20 or more people waiting to take the wheel and each of us will probably spend 10 minutes behind the wheel before we have to hand it over.

BTW - Hylas no longer makes a 54' so that boat they included on the list is used. I'm expecting the rest to be also.

But seriously, this is the boat I was looking at buying but someone beat me to the punch.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-12-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
WOW! See what happens when words are taken out of context?
Happens a lot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JulieMor View Post
Just an FYI: This "Take the Wheel" event is a little money making gig for someone at the Annapolis Sail Show. For $250.00 (we dug deep for that) a couple can "take the wheel" of a sailboat. They don't tell you much after that, until after you purchase tickets.

My first reaction was that I'd be gobsmacked before I pay $250 to take a short sail on a boat. But, according to the website, the cost gets you:

Join us at the US Sailboat Show in Annapolis, MD for our interactive "Take the Wheel" workshop. It's a full-day program at the show that features a morning seminar session followed by a demo boat ride in the afternoon. The program includes a 2-day show ticket and is packed with extras throughout the day including a light breakfast, midday lunch, wine tasting social and more!

The workshop cost of $149 per person or $200 per couple includes:

A two-day boat show pass
Morning seminars
Afternoon on-the-water boating experience
All instruction and printed materials
Continental Breakfast and Lunch
Wine tasting social hour
Friday, October 8, 2010 or Saturday, October 9, 2010

THE SEMINARS

What Boat is Right for Me?
This seminar focuses on the different types of boats available and how you can use them from racing, weekend cruising, to bluewater sailing. Participants will learn about different design considerations, propulsion systems and sail plans.

Getting Out There: Boat Buying and Chartering
This seminar will address the options available to new boaters including chartering, boat clubs, and buying a new or used boat. You will also learn about the buying process from dealing with a broker or dealer, to surveying and sea trialing your future boat.

What Do I Need to Know?
This short seminar will cover what you need to know before you leave the dock. From required safety equipment, to registration and licensing, you will learn how to prepare yourself and your boat for safe boating.

So there's more to it than just a short boat ride for $250 (and I didn't have to buy a ticket to find out). It's a program geared towards novice boaters who want to see if sailing is for them and not someone ready to buy a boat. It sounds like something I might have done if I'd known about it. Sounds like a fun day and ALL of it appears worth the money.

This program is offered at all of the US Boat-sponsored shows.

Julie, I think you'll have a fabulous time!
wingNwing likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 09-12-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
My first reaction was that I'd be gobsmacked before
Geez, Donna... a handful of PMs with tdw and you're starting to 'talk' 'Stralian!

To Julie.. sounds like the 'day at the wheel' should be a decent outing, but one of the risks of attended boat shows in general is that by the time you've toured the lot and seen the price sheets you leave thinking, "maybe $250K for a boat isn't so bad after all" even when your realistic budget was $60K.

The boat's you may get a ride on will not likely be very representative of what you may actually be able to buy, so try to keep perspective.. I'm sure you'll both have a great time.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)

Last edited by Faster; 09-12-2012 at 03:32 PM.
Old 09-12-2012
A mod and her dragon

DRFerron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Geez, Donna... a handful of PMs with tdw and you're starting to 'talk' 'Stralian!
Please don't tell him that. It'll just go to his head.

Catalina 30 TRFK

Contributing Editor
magazine

Rock Hall Cruising Station

All things that are, are equally removed from being nothing. John Donne
Old 09-12-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

The other problem with boat show's is you get hung up on new boat smell and clean- and then every boat you can afford Isn't good enough anymore.
Old 09-12-2012

Frogwatch is on a distinguished road

You'd best find out if you can really spend much time on a boat with your spouse. It took me years but I finally realized that spending time with my wife aboard was so stressful that I'd rather be at work. So, I sail with friends and about twice a year I go places with her on the boat but never for more'n a couple of nights.
Now,as to finances, a good small boat can be bought for about $10,000. So, sell the house up north and buy a foreclosure in FL and use the difference on the boat.
Old 09-12-2012

night0wl is on a distinguished road

smells like a timeshare presentation to me...
Old 09-12-2012

JulieMor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRFerron View Post
It's a program geared towards novice boaters who want to see if sailing is for them and not someone ready to buy a boat.

Julie, I think you'll have a fabulous time!
Just the idea of spending some time away from home, getting to see new boats and taking the wheel of one (or two) of them and that's all I needed to hear. While I might be bored with the novice stuff, my partner might learn something. She's sailed but hasn't had many of the experiences I have.

I realize I'll be walking away with that feeling a kid gets leaving the puppy dog in the window but we haven't been anywhere for over two years. And I'm not worried about being sold by a slick salesperson because there's one thing keeping me from buying that puppy dog, money.

Thanks Donna for the well wishes. I know it will be fun!
Old 09-12-2012

SeaQuinn is on a distinguished road

Consider compromises....like buying a smaller boat that you could sail on weekends and vacations and even live on part of each week if it suits you. Then upgrade when you both retire.
Old 09-12-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster View Post
Gobsmacked is not so unusual over here. It is in my American English dictionary and I use it on occasion. So did my mother. I hear it used about as often as I hear thunderstruck.

Tom
Pasadena, MD

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.