Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012
SteveT

Octobersteve is on a distinguished road
Keeping in touch in the Bahamas

We are cruising from Maine to the Bahamas this fall. How do cruisers keep in touch by phone and internet while away. I think we're all set while in the US. However, Verizon and AT&T will charge us dearly, especially for data to our smartphones and laptops/ipad while in the Bahamas. Does it make sense to get a Batalco (sp?) cell phone and subscribe to the local internet provider, or is wifi prevalent?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-10-2012

bandaidmd is on a distinguished road
Re: Keeping in touch in the Bahamas

International SIM Cards from $5, International Cell Phones from $19, World and Satellite Phones
This is what i plan to use on an upcoming trip to Mexico.
I don't want any surprizes in my verizon bill when i get home .
Old 09-10-2012
Banned

ParadiseParrot is on a distinguished road

You can have your phone unlocked if its dual or multi radio band. Else buy a new pnone as above. Get a new sim card for the phone when you get to bahamas.

Telecommunication

All the info u need should be on this page.
Old 09-11-2012

bandaidmd is on a distinguished road

Solid info by parrot ,the company i referenced is the only one i have found that lets you get all this taken care of "before" leaving the states. Hopefully more will come along with first hand knowledge because I'm basing my response on the research I have done from home for my upcoming trip.
Old 09-11-2012

CapnBones is on a distinguished road

When I last traveled to Greece I took my unlocked phone and bought a SIM as mentioned above, definitely the way to go. Also friends of mine have a Wifi range extender antenna and said when they cruised that more often than not they could hit unlocked Wifi.
Old 09-11-2012
BJV

bvander66 is on a distinguished road

Spent two winters in Bahamas, about to start our third and here is what we do.
-Have a GSM phone that is unlocked and we have a BATELCO SIM card which gives us a Bahamian phone number. This can be expensive calliing back to US & Canada, but allows cheaper calls within the Bahamas and a emergancy phone number for family back home.
-Some people buy from BATELCO data plan, not sure on cost, but the do have some plans available. BATELCO is the Bahamain telephone company and they have towers on almost every settlement throughout the Bahamas so lots of wireless avail, just can be pricey.
-Wifi is avail in most major centers, not so much at smaller settlements. We have a wifi marine bridge, which is essentially a powered antenna (they run about $300) which extends your range. Wifi is readily available at major marinas and throughout the Sea of Abaco Cays. Many cafes, restaurants and bars have wifi, just be ready to pay for them. Some settlements have wifi avail at local church as well.
-We have a Spot Messenger which we use every time we move, and this gives family/friends our location and the knowledge all is well. The cost ~$100 and the service is ~$100/year.
-In areas with good wifi skype works well (voice only mode) and calls are typically $0.02/min
-For weather we typically rely on our SSB which gives us Caribean Wx (Chris Parker) and NOAA weather forcasts.
Old 09-11-2012
Warm Weather Sailor

Vasco is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Octobersteve View Post
We are cruising from Maine to the Bahamas this fall. How do cruisers keep in touch by phone and internet while away. I think we're all set while in the US. However, Verizon and AT&T will charge us dearly, especially for data to our smartphones and laptops/ipad while in the Bahamas. Does it make sense to get a Batalco (sp?) cell phone and subscribe to the local internet provider, or is wifi prevalent?
If you are concerned about costs, and who isn't, take a cheap unlocked GSM phone with you. Buy a Batelco sim card (Batelco is the only game in town). Email your Bahamian number to your family and friends. Outgoing calls to the US about 50 cents a minute but incoming calls are free!!. Have them call you. We usually put $20 on the sim card (pay as you go) but hardly use any of it as most of our calls are incoming. As others have said wifi is available at most centers. For the past few years we have been using less and less wifi to keep in touch, relying on the cell phone. Every year it seems that the wifi changes, some years better access, some years poorer access. An unlocked phone is the answer.

Get your sim card from a Batelco office or a re-seller. We get a new one every season email the number to all our contacts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.