Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012

SollaSollew is on a distinguished road
Boat Trim

I have a sense that my 33 foot boat is a bit less than level. She leans aft slightly probably due to large tanks for a boat this size. I understand that one wants to keep one's bow as light as possible but I was wondering whether under these circumstances, it would make sense to add some weight forward until I can zero a bubble on a spirit level.

What do people think? Any naval architects out there with suggestions.

Eric
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough
Re: Boat Trim

Your boat should reasonably sit on the designed waterline, which should have provisions for water tanks, etc. Assuming for whatever reason, your stern is squatting than it would be a good idea to try to rearrange storage to move weight forward, or avoid full water tanks. Any boat should perform better overall if sitting properly on the waterline.
Old 09-11-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

I am no naval architect, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

My boat was not floating perfectly evenly when I bought her, just like yours. I removed about 200 lbs. of unnecessary weight (for my purposes) by going through every locker and removing all the accumulated unnecessary gear, supplies, maintenance items, etc., and a water heater from one of the cockpit lockers. I also moved some of the heavier items around to try to balance out the weight better. As much as possible, I try to keep the weight low and toward the center of the boat. Since I usually daysail, I keep most of the items off the boat and I sail with an empty water tank. When I load the boat up for an extended cruise, the additional weight of water, food, drinks and ice will alter the floating balance of the boat again.

Lighter is almost always better. My boat now floats well above its designed water line and I believe the performance is always better when the boat is as light as possible.
Old 09-11-2012
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Smile Re: Boat Trim

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameswilson29 View Post
I am no naval architect, but I did sleep in a Holiday Inn Express last night...

As much as possible, I try to keep the weight low and toward the center of the boat.
To reiterate James - you want the bow and stern to be as light as reasonable possible to prevent hobby horsing. Low and on the center line keeps the metacenter as low as possible which is where you want it to be.

To some degree "squat" should not bother your sailing characteristics. Running downwind with a jib the bow will "push down." In larger seas having the bow up a little high is not a bad thing. I am assuming you are talking about an inch or two, obviously if the stern is under the water line you need to get some of the weight out.

A more typical problem on cruising boats is a built in list from storing too many heavy things on one side. Presuming we are talking about a degree or two the impact on the sailing characteristics is nil.

I would not worry a great deal unless the squat is severe.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-11-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Some boat suffer in choppy conditions without enough weight forward.
Old 09-11-2012

paulk is on a distinguished road

Adding weight forward will perhaps make the boat float on her lines, but adding weight will slow you down. It will also serve to increase "hobbyhorsing", since there will be more inertia in the (forward) end, wanting to keep going up, or down, in each wave. If it is done right, adding weight in the ends can make a boat more seakindly: it rises and falls more slowly because the waves have to lift a heavier object than before. Concentrating all the weight 'midships makes for quick, sharp movements of the ends.Everything in a boat is a balancing act. You may have to see what works for you and just do it.