Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree6Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2012
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road
Don't feed the Animals?

The title was put up with tongue in cheek so hopefully nobody gets too bent out of shape. That said if you are easily offended maybe you should stop reading now. Go ahead, I'll wait for you to close this thread...

Ok, everyone else still around. I was reading a couple of sites recently and a common theme popped up in different threads regarding delivery crew/ guest crew and whether the skipper should feed them while they are on a delivery or extended trip. Apparently there are a couple ways of thinking about it. One school of thought is that the skipper should cover all costs while on board the boat and the other school thinks that it is acceptable to split costs among the crew. For me personally, I think I would be caught off guard if I were helping someone move their boat AND paying a portion of the expense. I would be happy to help a buddy or even a loose acquaintance to transport their boat, but I would feel like I was financing their trip if i were expected to foot any of the on board costs.

Most of the long distance trips that I have made have been either solo or with a single crew member joining me. When I invite crew to come along I make clear up front that I will do my best to have the boat at a rendezvous point to bring them on board at a certain date and will drop them at an agreed on location no later than a certain date. Emphasizing that a boat is subject to weather and delays and reminding them that they may need to be flexible with traveling in order to get where the boat is. That way they can arrange their own travel to and from and shouldn't be surprised if they have to travel over land from the nearest airport. I also plan to cover all food while on board and let them know to bring any snacks or favorites that would make them happy. I don't pay for meals on shore and I don't cover travel costs to and from the boat.

When I invite crew aboard I view them as my guest and expect to feed them. Am I in the minority on this one? Most of what I read elsewhere made it seem like it was a pretty standard practice to have crew share food costs aboard. I can see doing that on a group charter or other such arrangement where the cost is shared but on my boat I figure that I put out the invite and it is I that am benefitting from having the extra hands. Feeding them is just part of the deal. The trade off is that the crew has no say in the menu and I expect them to do dishes when I cook.

In a similar way, I also feel that on my boat I set the itinerary and decide when and where we make port. With that decision making responsibility I also take on all the expense of docking, fuel, etc.

Maybe I am doing it wrong and could have been financing my trips by inviting crew along more often?

I would be interested to hear what others do, or think about having crew/guests aboard your boat on an extended trip.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-11-2012

LoboPops is on a distinguished road
Re: Don't feed the Animals?

I wouldn't think so. I invite...I provide if they are helping...
Old 09-11-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

From my perspective it is going to depend on the circumstances.

I Need Crew - then I'd better be prepared to feed 'em though I'd expect them to pitch in with running the boat and that includes washing up and the like as well as watchkeeping blah blah blah. Payment of travel expenses will depend on how much I really need them. Special dietary needs their problem, share non essentials.

I Don't NEED crew but happy to have them along - short length of stay probably no different to above , longer than a few days then getting into share expenses territory. Travel expenses not up to me.

Sometimes you will find yourself in a situation where you have someone who is asking to come along fir the ride, well then they had better be prepared to share expenses.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett
Old 09-11-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Anything goes, as long as it is made clear what the expectations are up front.

Typically, I will have guests aboard for a day sail only. I ask them to bring a change of clothes, lunch, and their favorite non-alcoholic beverage. I buy the beer, and my favorite snacks. I pay for fuel (if any) and maintain my boat at the slip.

When I have traveled with others on an extended cruise, I try to split the costs. The owner pays for one night's mooring / slip, and I pay for the next. I bring several meals, and the owner brings several. I buy a bottle of wine, they buy a bottle of wine... They alone pay for fuel.
Old 09-11-2012

Cruiser2B is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
Anything goes, as long as it is made clear what the expectations are up front.

Typically, I will have guests aboard for a day sail only. I ask them to bring a change of clothes, lunch, and their favorite non-alcoholic beverage. I buy the beer, and my favorite snacks. I pay for fuel (if any) and maintain my boat at the slip.

When I have traveled with others on an extended cruise, I try to split the costs. The owner pays for one night's mooring / slip, and I pay for the next. I bring several meals, and the owner brings several. I buy a bottle of wine, they buy a bottle of wine... They alone pay for fuel.
I agree, As long as terms are stated up front, what's the problem. Someone wants help from crew for meals, then so be it. If you dont want to help pay because you're feel you shouldn't, find another ride with free meals...very simple!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My two lovely ladies!!
Old 09-11-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Define "feeding."
Define "crew."

Old 09-11-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

I forgot to 'splain WHY I buy the beer... I control when it is served, and when it isn't.
Faster likes this.
Old 09-11-2012
Just another Moderator

Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about Faster has a spectacular aura about

We have joined friends in Caribbean waters for holiday cruises - these are people that winter on their boat in that area but live simply and as frugally as they can.

In this circumstance, though we are invited, we recognize that their 'showing us around' is going to incur extra costs esp since in our absence they may well have simply hung out at a favourite harbour for those couple of weeks. Clearance fees, a bit of extra fuel, etc will impact their own budget. We have always tried to pay pretty well all cruising expenses and feed them during our stays... It works out to a very inexpensive charter fee, really, on our part, and does help tide them over for their remaining stay.

So, like so many things, I think the answer is 'it depends'......
tdw, rikhall and tomandchris like this.

1984 Fast/Nicholson 345 "FastForward"

".. there is much you could do at sea with common sense.. and very little you could do without it.."
Capt G E Ericson (from "The Cruel Sea" by Nicholas Monsarrat)
Old 09-11-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by eherlihy View Post
I forgot to 'splain WHY I buy the beer... I control when it is served, and when it isn't.
and WHAT.
What damn focus group thought Coors Light Iced Tea was a good thing to unleash on the great unwashed?
The acronym alone should have made somebody in marketing think twice.
Beer mixed with anything has no place on a sailboat. Light (or worse, "lite") beer has no place on a sailboat.
Don't even get me started on malibu rum.
tdw likes this.

Old 09-11-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

I've not done a lot of crewing on other people's boats. I did crew on a mate's boat across the top of Australia many years ago. At the time he was getting by but only just and I was doing fine so I pretty much picked up the tab for everything while I was on board. Hell, as Fast notes it was a damn sight cheaper than any charter and quite frankly I had the time of my life. Worth every penny but in those days there were a lot less boats out there and it was easier to get crew than find a berth. Indeed it was not unusual for crew to pay for their berth even though none of the boats was legally registered to take on paying passengers. Different times, different rules.
bljones likes this.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett