SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Back Issues of SAIL Magazine (70's-80's)...any use? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/92005-back-issues-sail-magazine-70s-80s-any-use.html)

rickp 09-11-2012 11:57 PM

Back Issues of SAIL Magazine (70's-80's)...any use?

We are cleaning out a basement and have about 96 back issues of SAIL Magazine dating to the 1970's and 1980's. I hate to just toss them into the recycling bin...does anyone have any use for them? I'm thinking maybe a maritime museum or a library with a yachting related collection. They won't be cheap to ship, but we can figure something out.

Please post a reply or send me an e-mail if you have any suggestions. Thanks!!!

flyingjib 09-12-2012 08:46 PM

Re: Back Issues of SAIL Magazine (70's-80's)...any use?

I'll be glad to take them if you haven't given them away already... I'll live in Annapolis area.

Jim in L.A. 09-25-2012 12:28 AM

Hey Rick, At one time I had every issue of Sail and lost them in a nasty divorce when my ex tossed them for revenge. I'd be dancing in the clouds if you still have them.

rickp 10-25-2013 03:30 AM

Hey everyone:

Sorry to have gone underground for the past year.

We found a good use for our old back issues of SAIL magazine. We eventually donated them to the Picton Maritime Museum and Archives in Picton, Ontario, CANADA (info@navalmarinearchive.com). The museum is actively looking for more donations and old documents, so please don't throw stuff away!

Looking through the old issues before I sent them off was really interesting. I was able to re-read articles that I had read decades before and had inspired me as a kid to take up sailing! Just throwing them in the dumpster seemed way too ignominious an end for some very fine writing and photography.

svHyLyte 10-25-2013 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rickp (Post 921202)
We are cleaning out a basement and have about 96 back issues of SAIL Magazine dating to the 1970's and 1980's. I hate to just toss them into the recycling bin...does anyone have any use for them? I'm thinking maybe a maritime museum or a library with a yachting related collection. They won't be cheap to ship, but we can figure something out.

Please post a reply or send me an e-mail if you have any suggestions. Thanks!!!

Rick--

They're all available on a CD already very inexpensively so the printed copies may not be of any value save to your local library or sailing club.

chrisncate 10-25-2013 12:19 PM

Whomever claims them: Can you look in the 82/83/84 issues for any Morgan ads, and see if you see any? I posted awhile back trying to track down an old Morgan ad that I was in as a kid, if you run across any Morgan ads, please let me know.

I was 9 years old in the ad and I'd love to see it, thanks!

tomschock 10-25-2013 02:51 PM

WD Schock has bound volumes of SAIL from the late 1980s to 2003 will be disposed of soon - if anyone wants them call asap