SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Back Issues of SAIL Magazine (70's-80's)...any use?

4K views 6 replies 6 participants last post by  tomschock 
#1 ·
We are cleaning out a basement and have about 96 back issues of SAIL Magazine dating to the 1970's and 1980's. I hate to just toss them into the recycling bin...does anyone have any use for them? I'm thinking maybe a maritime museum or a library with a yachting related collection. They won't be cheap to ship, but we can figure something out.

Please post a reply or send me an e-mail if you have any suggestions. Thanks!!!

#4 ·
Hey everyone:

Sorry to have gone underground for the past year.

We found a good use for our old back issues of SAIL magazine. We eventually donated them to the Picton Maritime Museum and Archives in Picton, Ontario, CANADA (info@navalmarinearchive.com). The museum is actively looking for more donations and old documents, so please don't throw stuff away!

Looking through the old issues before I sent them off was really interesting. I was able to re-read articles that I had read decades before and had inspired me as a kid to take up sailing! Just throwing them in the dumpster seemed way too ignominious an end for some very fine writing and photography.

#5 ·
Rick--

They're all available on a CD already very inexpensively so the printed copies may not be of any value save to your local library or sailing club.

#6 ·
Whomever claims them: Can you look in the 82/83/84 issues for any Morgan ads, and see if you see any? I posted awhile back trying to track down an old Morgan ad that I was in as a kid, if you run across any Morgan ads, please let me know.

I was 9 years old in the ad and I'd love to see it, thanks!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.