Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Re: 4hp outboard motor questions

Having an extra 5 gal. tank stored up front might help balance the motor hanging on the stern.
Old 09-13-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommays View Post

You do need the long shaft and the 25" on the 6 HP is great

BUT there is really ONLY one good High Thrust Porp which the 4 HP motor has NO problem reaching FULL RPM with SO i have never really figured out how you would deliver the extra 2 HP ?

As i have never had and issue moving even the 8000# boat or the J24 in 30 knots ?
The 6HP makes 500 more RPM

Tohatsu 4hp Four-Stroke Outboard Model # MFS4CDS

Paul T
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2012

dabnis is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dabnis View Post
We have the Tohatsu 6HP and just use the integral tank on our fishing boat. The 4HP & 6HP weigh the same and agree with Rich H that some day in real nasty conditions the extra power may be appreciated. We generally troll for about 3 hours with a 15 minute flat out run back to the ramp and use a little less than a pint of fuel for the day. We are very satisfied with the motor, it runs perfectly. We bought it on the internet, delivered to our door, well packaged in the original container for just over $1,600 total cost. I carry some extra fuel in one pint cans and although I have not re-fueled on the water it is very easy to re-fuel on the driveway from the small container. Make sure the short shaft is long enough for rough, choppy conditions.

Paul T
Made a mistake, the price was about $1,300

Tohatsu Outboard Motor 6hp 4-Stroke

Paul T
Old 09-13-2012

ShoalFinder is on a distinguished road

I am running a Nissan 5HP (which is now Tohatsu) on my Morgan 22. It's a 2 stroke with the integral tank. My Morgan 22 is probably the heaviest 22ft boat you'll ever see. The Nissan 5 pushes the boat through the marina at idle and I cruise at half throttle.

I personally love the integral tank. After years of powerboating, not having a fuel line hung over the transom going to a stinky tank with 2 cycle oil residue on it is wonderful.

I take along a spare gas can, which nowadays all them have the locking spout. It works great. You hang the nub of the pour spout on the lip of the tank opening and then you twist the lock on the spout to start filling the tank. When you lift the gas can the spout closes. No muss, no fuss, no spills. And that's filling the outboard while I lean over the transom.

Mine is not the long shaft. I would trade mine for a long shaft in a skinny minute. When motoring in swells over 3ft, the prop often comes out of the water and the engine over-revs. I have to mind the throttle to get the RPMs back down which is a pain.

If I ever have to replace my little Nissan 5 I'll probably buy another one just like it with a long shaft.
Old 09-13-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

I guess it is just me then, cause I went to the short shaft , because the long shaft wouldn't clear the water! It depends how low the motor mount is.
Old 09-13-2012

rightbrainer is on a distinguished road

I had a short shaft, no gears(start and go), two stroke on a Santana 20. I replaced it with a 4hp long shaft twin cylinder N-F Evinrude. Some things I learned from the experience: 1) with the short shaft, the prop & water intake came out of the water if I went forward...not good; 2) one-lung engines vibrate a lot more than two cylinder engines. A fiberglass boat is a giant resonator. 3) Not having neutral and reverse makes for some very exciting moments at the dock, especially if the wind is from an inconvenient direction; 4) An external tank is nice if you have someplace to keep it. Don't forget to close the vent. The internal tank will take you a long way, but one way or the other, you'll need backup gas on-board. 5) Weight counts. 58# is a lot of weight hanging out there on the stern of a 19 footer. It makes your boat slow to not be sailing on her proper lines and most small boats are drag-ass to begin with. Two-strokes tend to be a lot lighter. Happy hunting!

p.s. If you don't carry enough fuel to deal with an unexpected situation, make sure you have good ground tackle!

Last edited by rightbrainer; 09-14-2012 at 08:46 AM.
Old 09-13-2012

solarfry is on a distinguished road

Anybody that tells you a 2 hp will push you into an inlet in a falling tide is nuts. If you are taking that boat offshore get the 3 gallon auxilliary gas tank. It sucks to run out of fuel at the inlet. If you have to refuel, over 75% of the gas will spill in boat, on water, on your hands, etc. A 4 hp will push you but a 6hp will get you in quicker without having to run it flat out. The 6hp also has a generator kit to charge your bat. Most inlets are narrow with flows in the 3 to 5 mph. Getting inside while going under a bridge is a harrowing experience with motorboaters going every which way at 1o to 12 mph and dragging a 3 to 4' wake.

Make it a point to disconnect the fuel line and run motor on fresh water muffs until it runs out of gas and conks out. Do not use fuel from Marinas but buy the fuel where you fuel up your car. If the gas is 3 mos old pour it into your automobile fuel tank. Get fresh gas.The day you forget to run the engine dry will be the beginning of problems with it. Disregard the nuts worried about wear on motor.

The issue is not getting around the Marina. It's getting through a tidal region, under a bridge, usually in a falling tide, against a 20 knot wind with boats of all kind trying to go through at the same time. Most of them dragging a 4' wake behind. I know, I have to face it all the time.

Last edited by solarfry; 09-13-2012 at 11:06 PM.
Old 09-14-2012

INMA is on a distinguished road

I have a 5hp two stroke which has plenty of power for an 850kg yacht.

The 4hp four stroke with long shaft and high thrust propeller will easily do your job but a 6hp longshaft with high thrust propeller and external tank will do your job better.

Any money spent on the bigger outboard will be well spent and leaves you with some extra thrust to push into a bad wind or tow another yacht.

Short shaft engines are not suitable for most displacement hulls.
Old 09-14-2012

Ulladh is on a distinguished road

jboat is getting a 19ft daysailer, not an offshore boat for crashing through major inlets. A lightweight 4hp is all the boat really needs. Tohatsu makes 3.5hp motors that would be sufficient for a lightweight daysailer.

Larger heavier motors would add excessive weight to the stern without producing any additional speed.

All the boat needs is enough power to produce modest progress against a tidal current.

Jboat, I think is getting a Flyingscot, these boats are lightweight and fly in the gentlest breeze on the Delaware river, and are less effected by the currents than a full keel or deep keel boat.

With more experience this is a boat that can be used on the river without a motor.
Old 09-14-2012

Florida Sailor is on a distinguished road

I bought a slightly used, Nissan 3.5hp two-stroke for my Oday Daysailer. Fuel consumption is spec'd at 1.7 liters per hour at full throttle and I find that to be accurate. Motor has an integral tank that holds 1.4 liters. Weight is 28 pounds. +1 on going with a long shaft motor. More than enough hp for my boat.