Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-17-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road
Re: Beginners Boat

If you want to do quick day sails, something as big as the Catalina 22 would be the limit. It would take me almost two hours to get my C22 set up for sailing, and about half that to unrig everything after sailing. Once we had the boat on a mooring we sailed a lot more often. I would second something along the lines of the Flying Scot. Big cockpit, not sinkable, fast. Unless you will be singlehanded, and don't mind getting wet, a sunfish, laser, etc.
Old 11-29-2012

doglover444 is on a distinguished road

I am looking for a small cockpit tow vehicle is a small truck/ car under 2 or 1 k budget wise ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 11-29-2012

rhr1956 is on a distinguished road

West Wight Potter 19 (18 + motor mount = 19) was my first boat. I still miss having it because it was so simple to sail. Very fun, stable and pretty fast for it's size. Great quality and room for overnights.
Old 11-29-2012
Legend in my own mind.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

A keelboat is [generally] more forgiving, a centerboarder is [generally] easier to trailer.

A $1k-$2k budget has you in the category of small day sailor (or larger fixer-upper). Some examples that might fit the bill:
laser, capri 14, hobie 14, precision 15, amf puffer, sunfish, muntineer, and a whole slew of other small trailerables.

Craigslist is your friend... and if your only spending $1-2k on a sailboat, expect to put some more money into it for "upgrades" in the coming year. Including the biggies that everyone forgets to include in incidentals, like life-jackets!

At that price range you'll also have to become your own boat inspector... anything with a trailer will also require you to become a trailer inspector... look for dry rotted tires, and non-working lights... and expect to have to fix both.
Hull #68 S2 7.9 on our little landlocked puddle, Lake Wallenpaupack, PA, it's cheap, trailerable, and paid for.
Old 11-29-2012

MarkCK is on a distinguished road

I bought a sunfish for $350 off of craigslist last spring. I have a found a variety of centerboard daysailor's in the $500-1000 price range. Anything with a wieghted keel, swing or otherwise will probably start at $1500 and go up from there. And the $1500 boats will probably need some work done to them.
Old 11-29-2012

sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about sailortjk1 has a spectacular aura about

O'Day Javelin.
I picked one up as a project last year. It is finally moving into the garage so that the project might start. You can find one in your budget, but it will need work and probably new sails. Sails are easy to have made as there is still plenty of information available on them.

I hate to say it, but it is amazing what 1K - 2K will NOT buy these days.

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most - E.B. White

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.