SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Beginners Boat (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/92060-beginners-boat.html)

doglover444 09-13-2012 11:28 AM

Beginners Boat

What trailer day sailer is good for beginners ?

Tim R. 09-13-2012 11:42 AM

Re: Beginners Boat

Most any. Do you have any more criteria we can use?

Do you need a large cockpit? What size towing vehicle? Racing? Budget? Sailing area? etc.

nickmerc 09-13-2012 01:20 PM

What boat is prevalent in your area. That would be a good place to look. Lots of suppport that way.

GufShoz 09-13-2012 01:38 PM

I had an 1985 O'Day 23. Simple to maintain, easy sail plan, stable, and the swing keel kept me out of serious trouble. It has a small initial investment and you can still get parts. If I wanted a boat of that size, I'd go back in a heart beat.

primerate84 09-14-2012 04:27 PM

Flying Scot. Still in production, fleets all over, big cockpit, easy to sail, easy to transport.

Sal Paradise 09-14-2012 06:50 PM

My Catalina 22 would be a lot to trailer everyday, with setup of mast and rigging. Its do-able, but a lot of hard work. I would not trailer it even though I do have a trailer.

Stevennikki 09-15-2012 02:21 AM

Just starting out myself. I've got an American Sail 14.6, trailers easy and small enough to keep in my garage.

anthony1 09-15-2012 08:16 AM

I had not done a lot of sailing when I first bought "NANNA" a 1975 macgregor 25 with a swing keel. For me a good first boat. Loaded about 3500lbs including trailer so pulling it with my Aztec was a breeze,, launching and retrieving was next to impossible as it was front wheel drive. We have since bought a 4x4 and now its no problem. I am rigging a mast raising system for her so raising and lowering the mast will be a snap in the future but a couple of helpers and it goes up pretty easily.
As for sailing her we are still learning (you never stop) she holds four people comforably in the cockpit and we can overnight but for us we just day sail and have a blast. The nice thing about a swing keel boat is that at the end of the season we can trailer her home. and then in the spring I can do any work on her in the driveway, all tools handy. before launching her.
Good luck with your decision what ever you buy.

rikhall 09-16-2012 08:55 AM

My buddy has a West Wright Potter 18 that he thinks is great!

Rik

mbowser 09-17-2012 07:37 AM

The O'Day Daysailer is a good beginners boat. Just under 17', it trailers well and is very forgiving under sail. The cockpit is large and will seat 4 in reasonable comfort. Thousands have been built and you can find a decent one for under 2k.

I've had one for over 20 years and it is my go-to boat when I need a quickie.