SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Dinghy protective cover

7K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  rikhall 
#1 ·
Hello
I want to install a cover to prevent the sun from degrading the Hypalon fabric of the dinghy. Any suggestions ? I guess something light ,beige or at least pale coloring and thin I would say Sunbrella would be overkill. Any recommendation ?
Thank you

#3 ·
The current issue of Good Old Boat has an article on just this topic -- it's worth a look.

As for material choice, Sunbrella may seem to be overkill but then again you don't want this to be a recurring off-season crafts project do you?

#4 ·
Are you talking a cover for it while not in use or chaps to cover when in use. Sailrite has video to make chaps which I successfully followed. The chaps seem to be the way to go. They were not real easy to make but if I can do it you probably can. I used sunbrella and vinyl as directed by Sailrite. I added boat blanket to areas that might rub on something else at times, example rub strip. I also added a few net pockets that have worked well.

#6 ·
Minnie probably Taylor.

My wife modified one of the Taylor models to fit our Walker Bay Odessey to cover it while in the davits. I bought an oversized one with elastic sew in to cover the entire dinghy. She cut slits to make room for the lifting triangles when attached. She also attached loops with straps to be brought under the dinghy to the other side to pull it taunt across the bottom. We put an inflated beach ball in the middle under the over to provide slope o the rain doesn't pool.

I have a procedure before pulling it up with the davits while in the water. I pull the cover over the bow first while sitting in it. Then I attach the lifting triangles through the slits and pull the cover over the other 3/4of the dinghy before I step out of it. Finally after it is lifted the ret of the cover goes on and the web straps underneath are tightened. It s almost fully protected.

The straps are put around the package to tie it tight o the davits and back rails so it dosent move even one inch.

Dave

#7 ·
Thank you for your inputs
I was under the impression that Sunbrella was too thick.but with your suggestions it is the way to go. The cover will not be for when not in use or storage. The pontoons are white so a blanket on it will prevent damages from the sun
The sun is so good in the Bahamas...
Thank you all

CharliePapa

#8 · (Edited)
As usual, I'd recommend Stamoid...

Are you going to be making this cover yourself? Making dinghy chaps using Sunbrella, with some of the cut-outs required, could be an incredible PITA, working with a material like Stamoid that doesn't require hemming will save you a LOT of work...

Also, Sunbrella will have more of a tendency to "capture" and hold salt, which when dried and crystalized, will serve as a mild abrasive against the Hypalon... Dried salt crystals will not tend to adhere as much to the much slicker surface of Stamoid ...

More durable/abrasion resistant, less likely to tear, easier to keep clean, IMHO... And, when folded/rolled up for stowage, will result in a less bulky package, as well...

#12 ·
I would disagree with that, especially if you're spending much time in the tropics... I can assure you, my 8 year old Avon is in far better condition than it would be, had I not been using chaps, especially when down south...

But, that's one reason I recommend Stamoid, it's a very slippery material, hard to picture it creating much in the way of chafe...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.