Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-13-2012

CharliePapa is on a distinguished road
Dinghy protective cover

Hello
I want to install a cover to prevent the sun from degrading the Hypalon fabric of the dinghy. Any suggestions ? I guess something light ,beige or at least pale coloring and thin I would say Sunbrella would be overkill. Any recommendation ?
Thank you
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-13-2012

gershel is on a distinguished road
Re: Dinghy protective cover

I think sunbrella might be the least expensive fabric that will last.
Old 09-13-2012
Señor Member

PorFin is on a distinguished road

The current issue of Good Old Boat has an article on just this topic -- it's worth a look.

As for material choice, Sunbrella may seem to be overkill but then again you don't want this to be a recurring off-season crafts project do you?
Old 09-13-2012

rdw is on a distinguished road

Are you talking a cover for it while not in use or chaps to cover when in use. Sailrite has video to make chaps which I successfully followed. The chaps seem to be the way to go. They were not real easy to make but if I can do it you probably can. I used sunbrella and vinyl as directed by Sailrite. I added boat blanket to areas that might rub on something else at times, example rub strip. I also added a few net pockets that have worked well.
Old 09-13-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I ordered one fom an online vender, several years ago. I is sunbrella knockoff, which many have acknowledged is the same stuff. I've been happy with it. Sorry, can't recall vendor. I just took a chance at the time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-13-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Minnie probably Taylor.

My wife modified one of the Taylor models to fit our Walker Bay Odessey to cover it while in the davits. I bought an oversized one with elastic sew in to cover the entire dinghy. She cut slits to make room for the lifting triangles when attached. She also attached loops with straps to be brought under the dinghy to the other side to pull it taunt across the bottom. We put an inflated beach ball in the middle under the over to provide slope o the rain doesn't pool.

I have a procedure before pulling it up with the davits while in the water. I pull the cover over the bow first while sitting in it. Then I attach the lifting triangles through the slits and pull the cover over the other 3/4of the dinghy before I step out of it. Finally after it is lifted the ret of the cover goes on and the web straps underneath are tightened. It s almost fully protected.

The straps are put around the package to tie it tight o the davits and back rails so it dosent move even one inch.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-13-2012

CharliePapa is on a distinguished road

Thank you for your inputs
I was under the impression that Sunbrella was too thick.but with your suggestions it is the way to go. The cover will not be for when not in use or storage. The pontoons are white so a blanket on it will prevent damages from the sun
The sun is so good in the Bahamas...
Thank you all

CharliePapa
Old 09-13-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharliePapa View Post
Thank you for your inputs
I was under the impression that Sunbrella was too thick.but with your suggestions it is the way to go. The cover will not be for when not in use or storage. The pontoons are white so a blanket on it will prevent damages from the sun
The sun is so good in the Bahamas...
Thank you all

CharliePapa
As usual, I'd recommend Stamoid...

Are you going to be making this cover yourself? Making dinghy chaps using Sunbrella, with some of the cut-outs required, could be an incredible PITA, working with a material like Stamoid that doesn't require hemming will save you a LOT of work...

Also, Sunbrella will have more of a tendency to "capture" and hold salt, which when dried and crystalized, will serve as a mild abrasive against the Hypalon... Dried salt crystals will not tend to adhere as much to the much slicker surface of Stamoid ...

More durable/abrasion resistant, less likely to tear, easier to keep clean, IMHO... And, when folded/rolled up for stowage, will result in a less bulky package, as well...

Last edited by JonEisberg; 09-13-2012 at 05:38 PM.
Old 09-13-2012

MarkSF is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharliePapa View Post
Hello
I want to install a cover to prevent the sun from degrading the Hypalon fabric of the dinghy. Any suggestions ? I guess something light ,beige or at least pale coloring and thin I would say Sunbrella would be overkill. Any recommendation ?
Thank you
I just bought one of these Taylor Made covers :

Taylor Made Dinghy Cover 8'5" to 9'4" Length 55" Max Beam*-*Taylor Made*70134 - Taylor Made Dinghy Covers - Taylor Made Inflatable Boats & Dinghies Covers - Boat Covers - Boatersland Marine

Seems to be well made. Straps go right around the dinghy so it's fairly secure.
Old 09-13-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Mark,

That's what we have modified by my wife to be able to work while the dinghy is in the davits.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner