SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   USCG regulation of free swimmers?? (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/92147-uscg-regulation-free-swimmers.html)

hellosailor 09-16-2012 12:59 PM

USCG regulation of free swimmers??

No really. I was looking at the web site for the Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park and at their snorkeling tours, when I came across an eye-brow-raiser on their FAQ page.
Welcome to John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park - Key Largo, Florida Keys
"We provide you with a safety vest (USCG requires them to be worn at all times in the water) "

Huh? the USCG requires free swimmers in the water to do anything? Last I'd heard, they had jurisdiction over select vessels, but bupkis over free swimmers in open waters.

Has anyone heard anything like this before, or am I right to suspect the Park People are just using FUD to enforce their own queer little set of safety rules?

I don't debate the usefulness of PFDs, I just think this is a new crock of rose fertilizer.

wingNwing 09-16-2012 01:32 PM

Re: USCG regulation of free swimmers??

??? Dunno, never saw this before.

Are they talking about a visibility vest like highway workers wear, or a PFD? And maybe it applies to commercial boat tours?

hellosailor 09-16-2012 01:45 PM

PFD, not ANSI highway vest. (Unless you're diving within fifteen feet of a federally funded roadway, in the course of your employment.)

I could see the commercial boat angle, but that's still crossing a slippery slope. Once I'm off the boat, I'm off the boat, unsupervised, and if I tell the captain "See you later, I'm leaving now"...

If I wanted a nanny, I'd advertise for one.

Capt. Gary Randall 09-16-2012 05:27 PM

US coast guard is under the offices of homeland security now. You will discover a whole lot more Maritime regulation then you have ever seen before. I myself, have not found this regulation yet. But that doesn't mean that it's not coming. 40 years ago I chose the ocean as my profession, this and other unreasonable rules or laws on land is the reason. This is a perfect example of (government control) at its best, does not surprise me coming from a federal Park. These people that make the rules don't realize that the PFD will make it near impossible to Snorkle, I suggest that they provide BC instead, then the swimmer will have control of their floatation. captg

WDS123 09-16-2012 05:40 PM

Nanny ?

More like my 'ex-wife'

Some bureaucrat had way too much time on their hand

Minnewaska 09-16-2012 05:40 PM

I'm betting the USCG has spent a ton of money rescuing people in Pennekamp.

It also the only underwater national park, I believe. I suspect that changes the authority. Whether it should or not, I'm not debating.

LarryandSusanMacDonald 09-16-2012 06:12 PM

"Ahoy, you, you there in the tiny bikini, slow your swim to a crawl and prepare to be boarded."

Capt. Gary Randall 09-16-2012 06:17 PM

I love your avatar.,Larry...........................captg

sailak 09-17-2012 01:20 AM

It doesn't say PFD, it says safety vest. More than likely they want patrons in the water wearing a snorklers vest, very similar to a BC worn by divers. Can be used should the snorkler become fatigued, etc.

The boat operator is saying it's a USCG reg, the USCG isn't saying so. It might be they put that in just to limit the flak from folks not wanting to wear the vest.

RobGallagher 09-17-2012 01:27 AM

I read no mention of PFD. Just another case of paranoia, unless someone can prove otherwise.