Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2012

scratchee is on a distinguished road
Another first for me today

We had a great family sail today. Best wind conditions so far, in our first season as boat owners. My two boys, 8 and 10, are learning the ropes and are still enthusiastic about their duties. Plus we anchored and went fishing, and they both caught their first fish ever. We ended up bringing home 18 spot...probably got a little carried away.

On the way back I lost my very first winch handle. I had left it in the mast winch after raising the main, and the jib caught on it while coming about. When I went forward to clear it, the handle came out and did the old familiar trajectory: one bounce on the deck and one plop in the water. Funny how that works so predictably. That got me to thinking: I wonder how many winch handles are laying on the bottom of the Chesapeake?

Cheers everyone...

Scratchee
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-16-2012

MastUndSchotbruch is on a distinguished road
Re: Another first for me today

Quote:
Originally Posted by scratchee View Post
We had a great family sail today. Best wind conditions so far, in our first season as boat owners. My two boys, 8 and 10, are learning the ropes and are still enthusiastic about their duties. Plus we anchored and went fishing, and they both caught their first fish ever. We ended up bringing home 18 spot...probably got a little carried away.

On the way back I lost my very first winch handle. I had left it in the mast winch after raising the main, and the jib caught on it while coming about. When I went forward to clear it, the handle came out and did the old familiar trajectory: one bounce on the deck and one plop in the water. Funny how that works so predictably. That got me to thinking: I wonder how many winch handles are laying on the bottom of the Chesapeake?

Cheers everyone...

Scratchee
I can tell you I contributed one on the very first day of owning my boat

Look for it about 2 miles due East of Thomas Point Light
Old 09-16-2012
Sailing on Chance

KelleyG is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to KelleyG

We didn't loose a winch, but a grill went overboard in the Chesapeake. heart breaking as we were just about to make lunch.

Kelley
Old 09-16-2012
Goin' sailin'

americanfrog is on a distinguished road

well, it will meet my winch handle in Haro Strait near the San Juan Island on the west coast. It's been there for a few months now but i take comfort that it will be useful for barnacles and other lifeforms to hang on to... ;-)
Old 09-16-2012
prwg, NOW!

chrisncate is on a distinguished road

Winch handles, that one sock that escaped the dryer, various critical fasteners, keys and contact lenses - all living somewhere together in perfect harmony... far from planet earth..
dacap06 and scratchee like this.
Old 09-16-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

I like to think that somewhere in my marina is a fish wearing my sunglasses.
HDChopper likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-16-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road

Losing a winch handle is a right of passage. Like losing your virginity, or, a cell phone.

errr... lets hope one does not lose their virginity overboard.
Old 09-17-2012
Gin Swilling Yacht Monkey

groggy is on a distinguished road

Early on when learning to sail, I chartered a boat with some friends, knowing that I was still pretty new but with some certs, classes, and academic knowledge, but not many sea hours. I was happy to have a friend on board who had been sailing a couple of years longer than I, and who had been though the same sailing courses I had recently completed.

I noticed that he tended to use the winch handle on the jib sheets when he shouldn't have needed to if he had timed pulling them in as the sail passed over the deck, but I respected his seniority, despite my being the "skipper" of the charter. I, too gently, made a reference to the winch being the "penalty stick" for a poorly times tack. The gentle reminder sorta bounced of him, and I didn't feel like going all "type A" and telling him how to sheet in the jib when he had been going it longer than I had, by years. No one wants a green graduate to tell relatively old timers how to do simple things, right? I had much to learn.

Then I noticed he was just leaving the winch handle in place since he was going to need to use it for _every_ tack... Just as I was about to get formal with him and tell him that we were both taught not to do that, a line snagged the handle and sent it overboard...

It was a lesson in realizing that while I should respect experience, I needed to recognize that experience does not necessarily grant skill. Even with that knowledge it took a couple more of his complete eff-ups to realize that my friend must have been lucky to get certified... I wouldn't hold the lost winch handle against my friend, but I learned not to trust his experience over my own. I also have some friends with less coursework, but a much greater knowledge of sailing and good habits..
Old 09-17-2012

weinie is on a distinguished road

Mine floats. Made for a great impromptu MOB drill once!

Last edited by weinie; 09-17-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 09-17-2012
1979 C&C 30 MK1

flyingjib is on a distinguished road

My trusty Tilley hat went overboard in a windy and choppy day on the bay. By the time I turned around, I couldn't find it... I'm sure it was floating for quite a while...