SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Stiff steering/rudder

9K views 24 replies 13 participants last post by  RobGallagher 
#1 ·
1988 C&C 30 MKII

I bought the boat knowing the rudder/steering was stiff. Negotiated this into the price.

It is NOT anything in the steering. Remove the cables from the rudder and the steering is smooth and easy.

I have tried injecting grease into the rudder post via a zerk and it seems to have loosened things up a bit, but not nearly enough.

There does not appear to be any damage to the rudder.

Are there bearings in the post or what? I'm considering dropping the rudder this winter, but don't know if that's the correct way to approach it. Nor do I know what to expect.

Any suggestions? :confused:

#4 ·
Sounds like someone might of installed new bushings and didnt hone them proplerly ?

Or injected epoxy ( or simular) to an older bushing to tighten it up and is to tight maybe ?

Keep working it back and forth with plenty of grease will help, but grease needs space to work in ;)

#11 ·
... my thought too...

However if someone replaced a bushing with an inappropriate plastic, some of them will swell when wet which can lead to binding on the stock.

#12 ·
Hey,

I think you should plan on dropping the rudder this winter. Once the rudder is down you should examine the post carefully to see the wear patterns, etc. I would store the rudder somewhere warm and dry for the winter and then see what needs to be done to the rudder in the spring before reinstalling (maybe just sealing it, or perhaps repair some voids, that sort of stuff).

Grease the rudder post before installing the rudder. On my boat there were plastic bearings that went on the rudder post, one below the tube and the other above. They were slightly different thicknesses and needed to be installed correctly otherwise the pin was difficult to put in and rudder was binding when turned (don't ask me how I found out).

Anyway, good luck.
Barry

#15 ·
I am not sure the rudder is not bent. The hull and rudder had been sanded and prepped for bottom paint the first time I looked at it. There was no damage, or repairs that I could see.

I guess the only way to find out is to remove the rudder.

I'm only a few weeks away from haul out so I guess it will be a winter project.

#16 ·
The problem might be that the stock itself is slightly bent above the rudder (maybe from a grounding or collision of some sort at one point) In some cases these can be satisfactorily straightened.

#17 ·
Is is possible to bend the stock without damaging the fiberglass? I think the rudder stock is solid stainless. Seems like something else would break before that rudder post bent. But, I'm not very knowledgeable in this department...

#19 ·
ive bent my rudder post without any damage to the rudder itself. Last year the hinge point holding the ridder bent due to weather helm and this year i noticed my tiller was more to starboard than usual. After we dropped the rudder there is barely some twist to it but enough to give a few inches of feedback at the tiller.

#20 ·
Rob,
Are you on cncphotoalbum.com? There are hundreds of C&C owners who have dealt with every sort of problem imaginable. If it is a common problem with that model, they will tell you. I don't recall the issue coming up in recent months for your boat.
Joel

#21 ·
You should also consider that the rudder tube has been over greased. C & C used a grease cup on the tube, same with Hinterhoeller. I've seen remote greasing tubes set up by owners to connect to where grease cup was tapped into the tube and lead to a more convenient location. Last one I dealt with was 82 year old owner over greasing (he thought it should be greased monthly whether it needed it or not) to the point grease oozed out from the top of the tube and also the laminate on the webbing reinforcing the hull/stock tube installation (looked like a previous repair too). Once the rudder was dropped and the tube cleaned and flushed the binding problem was gone. With rudder installed went back to grease cup arrangement and has had no problems.

#22 ·
Good point, rugosa.. also old, dried out grease could itself cause the binding/friction.

Reactions: RobGallagher
#23 ·
Especially when salt water comes into play. If it were me, I'd get a "detail torch" down there and try and cook out all the grease that's in there now and then "re-grease". Big box stores like Lowe's/Home Depot sell the detail torch tip that uses the small canister LP bottles that outdoor "rail" grills use. Apply the heat liberally and you'll eventually see the grease start to bubble out. Then put the new in. I deal with this issue all the time on the play boat's steering tilt-tube.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.