SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Newport Boat Show (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/92183-newport-boat-show.html)

mstern 09-17-2012 03:40 PM

Newport Boat Show

Took my annual trip to the Newport Boat Show on Saturday. Some overnight rain gave way to sunny skies, a nice breeze and temps in the lower 70's. In short, a perfect boat show day.

Unlike the past few years, the show was crowded, with lines of some sort or another to get on and view just about any boat. Met some interesting people, saw some terrific boats, picked up a bargain or two, and generally had a great time.

The highlights for me: the Hake Seaward boats, especially the 26 and the 32. I love the concept of the moveable keel, and the fact that I think the boats are both beautiful and practical. The 46 is a neat boat too, but it just doesn't do it for me the way the 32 does. The 32 would be perfect for me: small enough to single-hand easily for an after work quickie, but big enough to sail comfortably for a week to Block, Narraganset Bay or the Cape and Islands. The 32RK is my new favorite; I win the lottery, and that's the boat I am buying.

Highlight number two: the Island Packet Estero. I love the concept and the layout below. If my wife and I morph unexpectedly into people who want to cruise for months at a time, then I would trade in the Seaward and buy and Estero. Maybe. Decisions, decisions.

Bob Bitchin was there, promoting his new magazine with the same dizzying array of hats, shirts and stuff. I didn't get a chance to wish him luck, but I do (so Bob, if you're reading this, good luck).

There was an Austrailian rum promoing itself: South Seas Rum. I had a "Dim and Cloudy", which is their own take on the copyrighted Dark and Stormy. Pretty darn good, but then again, I just like rum.

I also picked up a couple of docklines on close out: 20 foot lines for $4 each. And a new double block from Garhauer for my outhaul, $16.

Since the sailboats were so crowded, I assume that other Sailnetters were there too; any thoughts?

eherlihy 09-17-2012 03:50 PM

Re: Newport Boat Show

I missed it this year, for the first time in a while. I had a great sail up the west passage on Sunday though!...

You mention Bob B was there. Was Jody? I hope that she is OK..

jimrafford 09-17-2012 06:37 PM

Was there sat. also. Beautiful day! Was mainly looking for info on removable bowsprits and furling systems for my asymmetric chute. Tired of fighting w/ the sock. Bought a Selden setup. Purchased a new galley knife set from Hammer Stahl and some other goodies. Played w/ the Toquedo electric outboard, that's deffinatly on the xmas list. While I was there I spotted the Powerfilm solar panels on the Hylas 46. Exactly what I've been looking for. The Hylas was pretty sweet too.
The boat that caught my eye was the Moody 41T. Beautiful woodwork.
Jim

mstern 09-17-2012 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eherlihy (Post 923129)
I missed it this year, for the first time in a while. I had a great sail up the west passage on Sunday though!...

You mention Bob B was there. Was Jody? I hope that she is OK..

Didn't see her at the booth, but then I have only seen her picture a couple of times, so maybe she was there and I didn't know.

mstern 09-17-2012 09:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jimrafford (Post 923183)
The boat that caught my eye was the Morris 41T. Beautiful woodwork.
Jim

How about that M52? Morris has taken the Alerion luxury daysailer concept to the ultimate level. I used to think the Alerion was the prettiest girl at the dance; then the Friendship 40 came out, and my jaw just dropped. Decadent. Just when I thought that couldn't be beat, Morris came out with the M Line of daysailers. Alerion marries classic hull lines with a modern underbody and rig, but the interiors are pretty spare. Friendship takes that concept, and puts a superyacht luxury interior into the hull. The joinery and brightwork are almost over the top they are so deluxe. Then Morris comes along and dials back the luxury; not a lot, but makes it more "New Englandy", with a Herreshoff-style interior. White paneled bulkheads and less carvings than the Friendship. Equally upscale, but less ostentatious (if a $1.6M yacht can be less ostentatious). I used to make a beeline for the M's and Friendship boats first thing at the boat show. Trouble was that after I saw them, everything else looked like crap. Now, I first vist the boats I really think I might someday own, and save Morris and Friendship for dessert.

mksailnet 09-20-2012 09:48 PM

Walked in for the last hour on Saturday and attended on Sunday. Sales rep for Leopard Cats said he couldn't believe the number who attended on Saturday.

It was the first time we attended Newport in about 8 years. For the sailing destination Newport is we were extremely disappointed in the relatively low number of sailboats--IMHO you could almost fit the sailboat section at Newport into the Multihull Lagoon at Annapolis.

That being said, the boats mentioned above were all interesting, especially the Hake boats. The J70 looks to me like a Melges 24, though it was impressive maneuvering around the harbor under jib only.

It looks like Tony Smith's daughter has totally sold out Performance Cruising (Gemini Catamarans) to Hunter Marine, as the Gemini 105M logo said "by Hunter Marine" or something to that effect. Interesting to see how that lasts, as Performance Cruising built more than 1000 Geminis over the years!

We ended up spending more time in the equipment/accessories tents and the weather was spectacular so it wasn't a total loss; probably won't go back for another 8 years.

Marshall

justflie 09-21-2012 12:44 AM

This was my first boat show. I enjoyed it a lot! Bought my first pair boat shoes. Now I just need a boat to go with them...

Minnewaska 09-21-2012 07:04 AM

Well, I thought I was going to go, but didn't (we did sail past that day). Hey, I like browsing chandleries, so any boat show will do. But, Newport just doesn't hold a candle to the Annapolis Sailboat show. Unfortunately, I'm not going to get there either this year.

I did have a buddy attend Newport on Thurs and said the boat displays were way down from prior years. Perhaps the good news I'm reading about attendance will encourage more for next year.

mstern 09-21-2012 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mksailnet (Post 924707)
.IMHO you could almost fit the sailboat section at Newport into the Multihull Lagoon at Annapolis.

I gotta get me to Annapolis one of these years. I've seen the number of sailboats in Miami and Newport shows go down over the years, but I've never been to the Annapolis show so I can't compare. Now that my son attends the University of Maryland, maybe I can convince the rest of the crew to combine a visit to College Park with the boat show.....

mksailnet 09-21-2012 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mstern (Post 925033)
I gotta get me to Annapolis one of these years...maybe I can convince the rest of the crew to combine a visit to College Park with the boat show.....

You have to do the Annapolis show at least once!

Nice experience is to book a room at one of the B & Bs and walk to the show. Plan on booking at least 3-4 months in advance, if not further. Boat show people fill the place pretty quickly.

One day is almost not enough time!

Marshall