Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012

fjonball is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing into the slip

Sure, you're safer using a motor. But I would say you're also safer if you know how to handle the boat with sails in tight spots. That's why I sail in whenever I can. Sure, in tight spots, heavy wind, between expensive toys etc. you shouldn't. And I don't. But I believe the only way of learning these things is by doing it. I assume that everyone here who sails into the dock does some kind of risk analysis before they go about doing it.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2012

AdamLein will become famous soon enough

We all agree that you need to do things to learn how to do them. Where we disagree is whether knowing how to sail into the slip is an essential skill, since you can always anchor out or sail to an more accessible and safely approached dock. And if it's not an essential skill, than taking unnecessary risks to practice that skill is just bad seamanship.

Can't you think of any way of practicing this skill besides actually sailing into your slip? Ideas have already been mentioned in this thread.
chef2sail likes this.
Old 09-24-2012

barefootnavigator is on a distinguished road

Not trying to push buttons but how is sailing into a slip more of an unnecessary risk than just plain sailing is an unnecessary risk? I think we can all agree sailing into a downwind slip in 40 knots of breeze might not be an optimal situation. Lets talk about seamanship, if you don't know how to safely sail your boat into and out of the slip you more than likely lack many of the necessary skills to safely operate your boat. Here is the situation, you are in an anchorage that becomes crowed after you go to sleep the wind shifts 90 degrees and picks up to 30 knots, some d*!khead anchored across your anchor, dragged and now you are dragging, somehow your engine wont start and you have to sail out of a crowded anchor at night in high wind engine-less. What would you do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-24-2012
Tacky yet Unrefined

Squidd is on a distinguished road

Call Sea Tow or Boat US...
travlineasy likes this.
Old 09-24-2012

overbored is on a distinguished road

cut his anchor line and then ask the wife if I should wake them up? make it the Admirals decision. or raise a sail and sail to another anchor spot.
What's this have to do with sailing into a slip?
Sailing into my slip? could I? yes. do I want to? hell NO. its 14 boats in from the end and the runway is 40' wide and then into the slip down wind.
better to practice your seamanship some wear else like a crowded anchorage at night
Old 09-24-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
Not trying to push buttons but how is sailing into a slip more of an unnecessary risk than just plain sailing is an unnecessary risk?
Oh come on now, that's just silly. Have you no common sense? It's an unnecessary risk because you're risking SOMEONE ELSE'S boat and dock.

Try making your case to a marina manager, or an insurance adjuster, or that marina neighbor who watches you nervously every time you come near his boat under sail. They'll look at you like you're crazy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 09-24-2012

Sanduskysailor is on a distinguished road

Wow! Seems people get worked up by what should be an essential skill. Some tips can make this a realistic thing to do. I have had a couple of instances with a cranky engine where I had to sail into my slip including at night and in 25 knots. 1. Roller furling makes this easier. Drop the main outside the harbor and furl or unfurl your headsail for speed control and ease of tacking. 2. Use 1 or 2 canvas buckets tied to the stern pulpit to slow you down or stop on your final entry into the dock. Some day go out and experiment tying various lengths of line onto a canvas bucket and see which length is most efficient at stopping you. I saw the bucket trick in the Niagara river where an 8 meter sailed up to a raft up with a spinnaker up and no main. A very cool trick to have in your bag of tricks.

Lest anyone feel inadequate I watched a known sailing writer get towed into his slip on 28 footer by towboat US. It was a nice day with about 10 knots of wind and his slip was pretty accessible. After that it made me wonder about his reviews and the book he wrote.
Old 09-24-2012
If it's blowin' I'm goin'

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanduskysailor View Post
...Lest anyone feel inadequate I watched a known sailing writer get towed into his slip on 28 footer by towboat US. It was a nice day with about 10 knots of wind and his slip was pretty accessible. After that it made me wonder about his reviews and the book he wrote.
So a guy subscribes to BoatUS unlimited towing, has an engine failure, and decides to get his $125 worth with a free tow into his slip to be 100% sure he doesn't damage his neighbor's boats (and possibly to comply with the marina's rules)...and you question his competence?
travlineasy likes this.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Old 09-24-2012

AdamLein will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by barefootnavigator View Post
how is sailing into a slip more of an unnecessary risk than just plain sailing is an unnecessary risk?
What percentage of your time spent sailing is done as close to other vessels as you would be sailing through a modern marina?

Sailing into a slip (for practice) is more of an unnecessary risk because you can get into your slip without sailing. You can't go sailing, however, without sailing. Sailing is necessary for sailing, whereas sailing into your slip is not necessary for getting into your slip.

While you don't have to go sailing, by choosing to go sailing you're not risking other people's property unless you make one of a variety of other choices indicating poor seamanship.

Hopefully this should clear up the confusion around both "unnecessary" and "risk".

Before you say "What about racing?" note that everybody involved in racing knows the risks in advance, whereas it's not fair to expect your marina neighbors to know that by putting their boat in a marina, they risk having somebody sail into their boat while practicing sailing into their slip.

In fact, I think we put our boats into marinas because we assume that marinas are safer than anchorages, and that when boaters navigate the marina, they will do so with a level of precision control over their vessels that they don't normally exercise on open water. Your post, and quite a bit of the sentiment in this thread, seem to forget what marinas are supposed to be about.
Old 09-24-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Hmmm! This thread seems to be taking the same course of the sleeping thread - AKA it can't happen to me.

Cheers,

Gary