Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree34Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough
Re: Sailing into the slip

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Probably $0, since most boat policies have exclusions for racing. You might want to check your own policy.
Actually, the policy covered the WHOLE thing except the deductable! ie BOAT US was BOTH boats insurance coverer! Sailboat racing and Predicted timelog races ARE covered under MOST policies! Including the one I have with state farm, and another company before that one. Now if you want to talke about hydroplane racings, volvo 70 or equal off shore, My policy will not cover that, but beer can etc. no issues. My policy would more than likely cover me sailing in, as well as motoring in if something haywire happened also.

marty
Old 09-24-2012

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
cause we read some nimrod on Sailnet said its an essential sailing manuever
Then we shall simply disagree. It's not that big a deal, one can live a lifetime and not need the skill. But I am not a nimrod, sir. A raving lunatic of an idiot is far more appropriate. I take great pride in my cluelessness.
Old 09-24-2012
Proud "picnic sailor"

TakeFive will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by blt2ski View Post
Actually, the policy covered the WHOLE thing except the deductable! ie BOAT US was BOTH boats insurance coverer! Sailboat racing and Predicted timelog races ARE covered under MOST policies!
Yes, I think I was wrong about that. I mixed up my own boat's policy with the policy a local charter company used (which excluded racing accidents).

And speaking of charter companies:

Quote:
Originally Posted by US27inKS View Post
Here's a question from the sailing resume for the charter company in Florida I've used.

Quote:
Docked a boat of more than 34í under sail? Yes __ No __
I don't know about you guys, but I would hate for the first time docking under sail to be on an unfamiliar boat and with a bad engine. An unfamiliar boat is bad enough, engine that won't start is worse, first time docking under sail, no thanks.
If I chartered a boat and the engine failed, I would NEVER attempt to sail it into a slip. I'd call the charter company and seek instruction, and I would expect them to take me through a checklist of items ("did you reopen the fuel cutoff last time you shut down the motor?" etc....), and if that didn't fix it I'd expect them to hop into a powerboat and come fix it. In fact, now that I think of it, the one charter that I did had explicit instructions to call them and/or their designated towing company if anything went wrong, so I severely doubt that they would allow you to sail their boat into the dock.

In fact, if I owned a boat that was out for charter, I'd expect the management company to do that as part of their service. I certainly would not want some hotdog to try to sail my boat into a slip.

I really never expected to see so many people with such disregard for others' property. If you keep your boat in a boat club where it's customary to sail into the slip, then you've bought into the risk, and when someone plows into you, you asked for it. But please stay away from my marina.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2012
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
If I chartered a boat and the engine failed, I would NEVER attempt to sail it into a slip. I'd call the charter company and seek instruction, and I would expect them to take me through a checklist of items ("did you reopen the fuel cutoff last time you shut down the motor?" etc....), and if that didn't fix it I'd expect them to hop into a powerboat and come fix it. In fact, now that I think of it, the one charter that I did had explicit instructions to call them and/or their designated towing company if anything went wrong, so I severely doubt that they would allow you to sail their boat into the dock.

In fact, if I owned a boat that was out for charter, I'd expect the management company to do that as part of their service. I certainly would not want some hotdog to try to sail my boat into a slip.
Well, there are a limited number of charter companies in south Florida. Trust me, I've looked. And of the 2-3 charter companies in south Florida, I know of only one that lets you take the boats across the Gulf Stream to the Bahamas. I don't know about you, but I'm not very excited about the prospects of waiting for at least half a day anchored in questionable holding for the charter company to arrive. And as you pointed out in your remarks about which marina you may choose to use, this is part of the risk accepted by the boat owners when their boat is placed in charter.

This would also be why the charter company makes you take a USCG captain with you on your first outing. Hot dogs need not apply.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 09-24-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I just checked the policies of the last four boats I've owned. Each of the companies, and they were all different insurance carriers, clearly stated in bold print under exclusions "Any participant in any organized race or regatta." Seemed fairly clear to me - if you're racing you're not covered - regardless of the type of boat.

Many years ago, I was covering the US Powerboat Regatta in Havre de Grace, Maryland. In was in my boat in an area known as the "infield," which I later discovered can be among the most dangerous locations to be during a race. I was photographing the race and writing about it in my weekly column for the Washington Post and thought my ordinary boat insurance would cover me - WRONG! After several close encounters with out of control hydros and Jersey Skiffs, I decided this assignment was just a bit too dangerous and at the first opportunity I motored out of the area, loaded the boat on the trailer and went home. I didn't know that I wasn't covered until I later talked with my insurance agent from Erie Insurance Exchange. Despite the fact that I was not actually engaged in the race itself, as a working reporter, I was technically considered part of the race, therefore, excluding myself, passengers and boat from any coverage. Bummer - especially when you discover this after the fact.

For those folks that believe they're covered because they're in a sailboat race, you may want to take a close look at the fine print, or better yet, contact your insurance agent. You may be in for a rude awakening.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 09-24-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Just thought about something. Take a good look at Boot Key Harbor, then think about sailing into a slip, or even sailing off or on the mooring ball here.

Cheers,

Gary

Last edited by travlineasy; 09-25-2012 at 12:24 PM.
Old 09-24-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

My friend(sabreman) that phrase was reserved for others.....not for you...besides I already have met you and knw you are a lunatic..your wife told me that. (Smile)

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

ďSailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.Ē- Dennis Conner
Old 09-25-2012

Sabreman will become famous soon enough Sabreman will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Take a good look at Boot Key Harbor, then think about sailing into a slip, or even sailing off or on the mooring ball here.
Woof. Difficult, but not impossible. In a laser or similar, any 12 year old could do it. In my boat...... hmmm.. interesting problem... let's see ...

The fingers aren't too bad, directionally. The angle is good for sailing - exiting is far easier than docking. Certainly, there won't be much wind in there due to ghosting by the buildings so too much speed shouldn't be a problem. Nor is current a problem. The leward slips are easy - I'd hug the windward (right), bleeding speed and letting sideslip drive me to leeward. There don't appear to be slips per se, so it would be port side of the boat to the dock. Windward (right side) slips are harder, especially the ones at the head of the finger. Same tactic, but I'd keep up a little more speed and get a line on a piling fast.

I think that coming off one of these buoys is harder in this situation because there is almost no room to fall off. But I'd use an old dinghy tactic and lead a mooring line to a stern cleat, then unfurl the jib and off I go downwind without worrying about falling off and sliding into another boat before I had enough way. Picking up a mooring would probably be for me the biggest challenge because there is only one shot to do it. I'd approach headed downwind under jib alone and then do a U turn to pickup. My biggest worry would be that most sloops require something a boat length to turn so it would be tight.

I'd give it a couple passes then commit. Maybe anchor to windward and kedge downwind. I saw a Chesapeake Bay waterman do that once bringing his DOA skiff laterally and to windward of an oyster bar so that I could get a line to him for a tow. One of the most amazing things that I've seen on the water (next to Vicky lassoing a piling with a single throw in front of the crowd at Ego Alley and Pusser's in Annapolis on a summer evening - THAT was amazing)
Old 09-25-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough

I've sailed into a slip before, on a friends 32' Endeavor, with perfect light winds and a crew of 4 experienced sailors on the Rhode River. Piece of cake! The engine wasn't working when we left the dock the day before.
If I had to do it alone? Might not have been so pretty.
We can sail on and off our mooring in good weather but generally use the engine.
If there was bad weather for sailing in and the engine did not work there is always the anchor. Sometimes you have to wait it out.

Everybody has one:

Old 09-25-2012

blt2ski will become famous soon enough

I'm not to worried about my policy frankly, I have one or two races a year, I NEED to show and turn in a cert of insurance to the YC that holds the race. SO I think that would get the ear of the insurance agent really fast, really quick if I was doing something against the policy. Boat US is one of many that allow sailboat racing doing locl beer cans, along with predicted log racing. One needs to look in the fine print to see that it is there, vs see that it is NOT there.

Can somebody make that picture a bit narrower! It is three freekin screens wide!

Marty

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.