SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Sailing into the slip

11K views 90 replies 42 participants last post by  Dick6969 
#1 · (Edited)
I've sailed in and out of the Branford harbor many times but tonight was the first time I sailed all the way back right to the dock without turning on the motor.

We motored out to the just past the harbor entrance, just before lovers island, but from there on it was sailing all the way out and back.

First time everything worked out perfectly.
  • Just enough wind but not too much.
  • Right direction.
  • Had reason to expect the motor might start if we needed it.
  • Current was slack and starting to flood with us but not too much.
  • Had time
  • Lights worked good enough
  • Boat owner was up for it.

Doesn't get better than that.

PS the dock is at the blue arrow at the top of the picture. The straight blue line to the right of the arrow is a gps artifact and not part of the track.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: Loveatfirstsail
#3 ·
Good job! I consider it mandatory to be able to sail into one's slip. Unfortunately, the configuration of many marinas makes that easier said than done, but it can be done. Roller furling makes it easier. We usually drop the main somewhere near the harbor or marina entrance and then bleed off speed as necessary by luffing the genoa or progressively furling it. Sailing to your slip isn't a whole lot different than sailing to a mooring - both are just targets.

Our last boat, a Sabre 28, had a ton of gunk in the fuel tank. We sailed into our slip nearly every weekend for a summer before I got tired of it and had the tank throroughly cleaned.

Remember - people sailed around the world far longer than they've been navigating with engines. If they can do it, so can we. It just takes planning and patience. And a willingness to look like a fool - that helps a lot. :laugher

#4 ·
I've sailed into my slip a few times, motor...cough cough....failed to start....cough cough!

why that excuse as my marina does not allow sailing within the breakwater! so i am supposed to motor in and out. BUT, I have sailed my 3.5 ton 28' on deck boat in, as have a few others here and there, late at night after a race etc. I usually sail under main alone.

Marty

#6 ·
Great feeling;
I do it all the time light air. summer puget sound. Usually the power boaters come running asking what went wrong with my engine .I tell them just sick of hearing it.Loud farymann.
CAL2-29 PRETTY LIGHT. Just gotta watch the current up here

Now that my shaft coupler broke gotta learn how to sail out

#7 ·
Ah, yes that's a great feeling!

I sort of feel bad for people who are so worried about a scratch in their boats that they never try it. They never get that good feeling. Also they never really learn how to do fine manouvering with sail.

I have an 1975 ALO 28 feet, 3.5 tons, with a couple of scratches and an original engine. With such a configuration you can stop the boat by hand, you're not afraid of another scratch, and you get plenty of opportunities to try your skills:)

#14 ·
I sort of feel bad for people who are so worried about a scratch in their boats that they never try it.
Maybe they're worried about scratches on other people's boats?

Sabreman said:
Sailing to your slip isn't a whole lot different than sailing to a mooring - both are just targets.
Different kinds of targets. The latter is just a position. The former is the last in a long sequence of constrained positions and orientations.

Remember - people sailed around the world far longer than they've been navigating with engines.
How often did they navigate into modern, crowded into marinas? Sailing in open water with a huge crew doesn't compare to maneuvering in tight spaces surrounded by financial dynamite.

#10 ·
If my engine failed, I would sail into the gas dock first then plan out a way to get it into the slip. In my marina there are too many bow sprits with anchors sticking out into the narrow fairway to risk getting pushed into them by the river's cross currents.

#11 ·
All together now:

"Motor? We don't need no stinkin motor!"

At least when the wind is out of the east or north and not too strong. Problem with prevailing southerlies is the pier is to windward and too narrow for beating. Then we do need the stinkin motor, so we talk to it more nicely.

We're two-faced about stinkin' motors. We don't need them until we do.

#12 ·
I have a windward slip. Our marina does allow sailing inside the breakwater. More often than not, upon my return, I sail my 30 footer in. I have a narrow (9') beam, which helps. I take the main down in the channel and basically crawl in. Jib is always furled first- I may try the other method next time.

#13 ·
Last day of Screwpile we flew the chute back in to solomons, around the island, up the creek, doused right before the club and button hooked it under main into the slip.

The outboard stayed down below over the keel the entire time.

#15 ·
Our last spot I could sail into and did many times. First out of necessity, but eventually just because I could and I enjoyed it.

Now I think I could if I really had to, but its a tight spot with a BIG nice boat sharing the same space. The risks of damaging the other boat is what stops me now. If he's out sometime, I would definitely give it go.

I too get the fact that people have sailed around the world for a long time without engines, but if they had to dock in my slip with that much money crammed into a small space they might just anchor out!

If I HAD to sail in to my current spot I would, but I'd likely dock at an easier place first and round up a few helping hands on the dock. Lots of people around most days to lend a hand and lower the risk of hitting my neighbor.

#19 ·
It's a safety issue for me. I have an old outboard at 12 years and have to expect it's going to die at some inconvenient time. So I practice sailing into my slip with the motor running and in neutral. It gives me the confidence to go for it knowing that it's there if I need it.

Two weeks ago I lost my water pump in the outboard and it briefly overheated while motoring out towards the bay. Thankfully all I had to do was raise the main and head back home. My stress level was much lower knowing that I had done this before. I still keep a boat hook in reach every time though.... just in case. Thankfully I'm in the low rent marina and not many fancy boats nearby.

I also highly recommend getting comfortable swimming your boat with the rudder if you have a tiller. I can make almost 1kt doing this and that's enough to steer and get back home or make last minute maneuvers while docking.

--Chris

#21 ·
Tacking a 36' boat in a channel 45' wide is tricky, so we're careful to pick a day when the wind is from the right direction and we have enough crew to drop sails quickly if we need to. We moor at both bow & stern, so gauging the speed and momentum is important. If you're going too fast, the crew has trouble catching the first buoy, and you overshoot the next & run into the boat ahead. If you're going too slowly, you don't make it to the second one. Going in to the gas dock is easier because you have a longer target area. Slips are tougher becauseyou have finite maneuverability. Would love to show a picture, but uploads fail on every attachment I try.

#22 ·
Dad hated working on the diesel so I grew up learning to sail into a slip. However, it'd still make me nervous.

My slip is usually a crosswind landing. Prevailing winds mean I'd come in on a run. My plan is to use the jib. I put the motor in neutral several slips away anyway and coast in so I could just roll up the jib when I got close. My boom is long enough to go over and hit other boats as I came in when I'd let the sheet out to luff the sail. I don't want to have to climb over sail on the deck to pick up dock lines either (I single hand a lot). So the main just isn't a good idea for me.

If the wind is from the north, I'm screwed as it's too narrow a channel to tack. I wouldn't even be able to spin her on her keel.
If I have a north wind and the motor craps, I'll call for a tow. I have an outboard motor so I'm just waiting for it to fail on me.

I haven't had to land the Hunter yet without a motor. The Drascombe's motor crapped out on me several times and I've had to sail up to a dock with it. My downwind landing wasn't graceful but the boat, dock, lookie-loos and I were all safe and unscathed.

#24 ·
I was very furtunate to have a "pull through" slip. I was great. I could sail out and in with little risk of damaging my boat or anyone elses. The trouble for me, however was all of the sailboats under power in the large channel not giving way while I was under sail. I even had one lady scream at me about not using the engine. I replied the engine is the large white things hanging off the metal stick. I expected that behavior from the power boats, but not other sailors.

#27 ·
...The trouble for me, however was all of the sailboats under power in the large channel not giving way while I was under sail. I even had one lady scream at me about not using the engine. I replied the engine is the large white things hanging off the metal stick...
Hmmm, something strikes me a little odd here. While powerboaters are often clueless, usually fellow sailors are very understanding of any boats under sail. Your reference to "all of the other sailboats under power" makes it sound like you were the only one under sail. And that makes me wonder why this was the case. Is it possible that you were in an area where it was not safe to be under sail power? For instance, it can be dangerous to tack across a crowded channel. This is just speculation, since you have not given enough information.

However, it does raise an interesting aspect of the rules of navigation. Contrary to popular misstatements, vessels under sail do not have right of way. They are usually the stand-on vessel. What's the difference between these two? My understanding is that a stand-on vessel has the right (and the obligation) to maintain his course and speed until he is clear of all obstacles (such as other boats). To me, this rule may prohibit one from tacking through a crowded channel under sail, because in the presence of obstacles you are not allowed to tack, since that requires changing course and speed. So maybe that's why she yelled at you.

Could you provide more details to explain the circumstances that caused everyone but you to be under power?

#25 · (Edited)
I second all the recommendations to sail to something like a fuel dock or gas dock.

I've docked under sail a few times. The first was a fuel dock on the outside of a marina in the winter with no other vessels around. The second was a parks dock, again on the outside, again I was the only vessel. The third was the unoccupied end tie in an unfamiliar marina during a small-craft, which was fortunately surrounded by walls that blocked most of the wind... that was the toughest (engine failure).

The last was the guest dock at my own marina, quite long, first thing you pass on the way in after the breakwater, again unoccupied. We had a tailwind and came in under a 110% jib only, and cast off the sheet about three boat lengths away. If we didn't have a tailwind, with a tall breakwater attenuating it, I wouldn't have attempted it but would have anchored outside instead. Which, btw, is what they always did in "the old days".

#26 ·
Well, my opinion which is sure to get razed: I don't do it unless it is an emergency. I also don't believe anyone else should that has another option. I am not talking about emergencys. I have had to sail in to the slip (most of us have that have sailed or cruised for very long... mine was a plastic bag int the strainer at night). I also agree with Paul that sailing into a slip versus a mooring ball is much harder. The mooring ball you can always turn into the wind and gauge your approach better and see around better for traffic. I have no issue with sailing onto a mooring ball.

My personal issue with you sailing into and out of the marina is that you may have to tack or jibe down a very narrow fairway. If its just one sailboat and no one else on the water, especially small ones, not the end of the world. You get several sailboats coming in and doing it and throw in a power boat or two, then you have the potential for an issue or damage. And under sail, you cannot stop quickly so you become a liability to others. What about a kid swimming across the fairway and you didn't see them until the last second? I have seen this several times, btw.

This isn't about learning a skill to me. You can practice this in open water and especially good when doing MOB with a floating object. However, when you sail into the slip (esp in a busy marina and narrow channel), you take right of way and everyone else must wait for you to do your thing. And no one in their right mind is going to be sailing into a marina fast unless they are especially good at gell coat repairs. SO you are going to peter-pater at 1-2 knots while the rest of us have to wait for you so we can get out and enjoy the water. And why? Because you enjoy it, want to learn a skill, don't feel like turning on your engine, etc. Frankly, this is one of the things that makes power boaters hate us... and rightfully so.

Sorry. Just my opinion.

Brian

#29 ·
Rule 9 - Narrow Channels
(a) (i) A vessel proceeding along the course of a narrow channel or fairway shall keep as near to the outer limit of the channel or fairway which lies on her starboard side as is safe and practicable.

...(b) A vessel of less than 20 meters in length or a sailing vessel shall not impede the passage of a vessel which can safely navigate only within a narrow channel or fairway.

Rule 16 - Action by Give-way Vessel

Every vessel which is directed to keep out of the way of another vessel shall, so far as possible, take early and substantial action to keep well clear.

Rule 17- Action by Stand-on Vessel

(a) (i) Where one of two vessels is to keep out of the way, the other shall keep her course and speed.

(ii) The latter vessel may however take action to avoid collision by her maneuver alone, as soon as it becomes apparent to her that the vessel required to keep out of the way is not taking appropriate action in compliance with these Rules.

(b) When, from any cause, the vessel required to keep her course and speed finds herself so close that collision cannot be avoided by the action of the give-way vessel alone, she shall take such action as will best aid to avoid collision.

(c) A power-driven vessel which takes action in a crossing situation in accordance with subparagraph (a)(ii) of this Rule to avoid collision with another power-driven vessel shall, if the circumstances of the case admit, not alter course to port for a vessel on her own port side.

(d) This Rule does not relieve the give-way vessel of her obligation to keep out of the way.

Rule 18 - Responsibilities Between Vessels

Except where Rules 9, 10, and 13 otherwise require:

(a) A power-driven vessel underway shall keep out of the way of:

(i) a vessel not under command;
(ii) a vessel restricted in her ability to maneuver;
(iii) a vessel engaged in fishing;
(iv) a sailing vessel.

(b) A sailing vessel underway shall keep out of the way of:

(iii) a vessel engaged in fishing.

#30 ·
...Rule 17- Action by Stand-on Vessel

(a) (i) Where one of two vessels is to keep out of the way, the other shall keep her course and speed...
By my interpretation, this prohibits tacking in a situation where it creates an obstacle for other boats, even if those other boats are under power.
Rule 18 - Responsibilities Between Vessels
...(b) A sailing vessel underway shall keep out of the way of:

(iii) a vessel engaged in fishing.
This is why I said that vessels under sail are "usually" (not "always") the stand-on vessel.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.