Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about
Re: Damn FLIES!

Brian, try the pyrethrin. A conventional screen won't absorb any, but a "no-see'um-proof" screen might. Or, a bolt of treated cheesecloth would absorb it, and could be taken out and laid over the regular screen or hatchway when you wanted to kill the critters.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2012
Best Looking MALE Mod

Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough Cruisingdad is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by hellosailor View Post
Brian, try the pyrethrin. A conventional screen won't absorb any, but a "no-see'um-proof" screen might. Or, a bolt of treated cheesecloth would absorb it, and could be taken out and laid over the regular screen or hatchway when you wanted to kill the critters.
I dont want to kill them. I want them to not like the smell and go away (thus, the favorable Sea Ray).

BTW, that no see-um screen is so tight that, while it works, the bloody boat gets hotter than the devil. No wind gets through either. My experience!!

On a more humorus note, we find it quite entertaining watching Fatty (our bulldog) snapping at flies and chasing them around. Its one of the few things that will wake her up!!

Brian

2004 Catalina 400, Sea Mist IV (our boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in S FL and Keys primarily)
1987 Tayana Vancouver 42, Credendo Vides, (Mom and Pops boat, F/T Mobile Live Aboards in Puget Sound)

My Website:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow My Blog at:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Follow me on Facebook:

Old 09-19-2012
Will work to sail. :-)

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

I have had good luck with this;

Works for both mosquitoes & black flies...

Not as entertaining as a bulldog though....
Old 09-19-2012

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

There's different qualities of screens, no-see-um-proof and otherwise. Good point about the breeze reduction. I wonder, if you towed a dink 100 yards down with fifty pounds of fresh manure and fifty more pounds of rotting meat...would the flies go there instead of bugging you?

I figure, if a fly could figure out how to kill me and eat me, it would. So fair's fair, if I kill the fly first. One could say, "Flit® happens!". (G)
MedSailor likes this.
Old 09-19-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I solved the screen problem on the boat several years ago when I discovered that a mix of 50/50 water and Skin So Soft sprayed on the screen kept all insects out. Spiders, no-see-ums, tiny flies, etc..., will NOT cross a line of Skin-So-Soft. The reason being is that nearly all insects breath through their thorax. Skin-So-Soft vapors are extremely dense and prevents them from breathing, so they avoid it like the plague.

I use the same mix of Skin-So-Soft at home in front of the patio sliding glass doors, and it keeps carpenter ants, ear wigs, centipedes and sweet ants from entering the basement through the door tracks. When I tried it on the boat screens I was amazed to see those tiny spiders walk up to the screen and stop dead in their tracks. Many walked in circles around the ports looking for another way to enter and finally just gave up.

Works for me,

Gary
Old 09-19-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Gary...good call.

Avon Skin So Soft works well. It is what most of the people in Jersey keep in the cupboards and cabinets and is a stable in your backback when you go to the beach before 11 AM or when their is a westerly breeze off of the marshes.

We spray our screens with it and it works somewhat. Flies like the lack of a breeze. They hide their. Our transom was covered ( 100s) with greenheads when we came up the Delaware. They were like reenforcements. The more we killed,,,their replacement popped up.

Good screens, citronella, skin so soft are somewhat hwlpful, but what a flyswatter does is kill them dead.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-19-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

Gotta' agree with the fly swatters - I have two of them on the boat, one in the cockpit and one in the cabin.

Gary

Tags
flies