Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree4Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2012

melody1204 is on a distinguished road
Damn FLIES!

Does anyone have any tried and true methods for keeping these bastards out of and away from the boat? We don't leave food or beverages out, we've hung ziplock bags filled with water (which seemed to be effective at first, but no longer), tried sprays, and now we just walk around with fly swatter in hand, yelling, "DIE, DIE, DIE" all day long. We have screens, but they still seem to find their way in.

If anyone knows of a fly deterrent, I'd be forever grateful!

For whatever we lose (like a you or a me)
it's always ourselves we find in the sea.
~ e.e cummings
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-18-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail
Re: Damn FLIES!

Flies.....the carnivouous flies

The worst ones are the green head flies found in NJ and along the Delaware River. The green head fly is the NJ state bird. They have a green head...are somehwat good sized...and bite you till you kill them. On our most recent trip back from the Long Island Sound and NE on our long slop up the tidal Delaware we killed over 500 of them in the cockpit. We litterally had to hose it down and scrub it clean. We armed ourselves with flyswatters ( we keep them in the taable in the cockpit) and actually had to put on long clothes to keep them from driving us nuts for the 8 hour trip. We always have extra swatters on board as we dont want to be defenseless. They thrive in areas of alm ( around your ankles )

Our screens do hold them out of the boat so no worries at anchor.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-18-2012

Scallywag2 is on a distinguished road

Flies are attracted by smell of something they want to eat. I guess your smell attracts them since food is not around. Some flies come from a mile away. I forgot the exact distance. Think about what you place on your skin. Suntan oil with coconut butter? Hair spray? We found Black Fly Season in Delaware to be deadly. We wore bee hoods to keep the black flies out of our nose, ears, and mouth. Our dog was not that lucky to have a bee hood. We just up and left because of the flies.

Dot and John
Old 09-18-2012

Matelot is on a distinguished road

Best thing we found was a Tilley lamp on the roof outside the boat. If you are not familiar with a Tilley lamp, Made in Ireland, Runs on parrafin. The flies zoom in on it like Kami Kazzi pilots.Instant creamation.You need to put a sheet of something underneath to catch the little devils, Otherwise you will have a fair old job cleaning up next morning.We had a similar problem up in Scotland many years ago. Worked for us. I suppose a Butane lamp would do the job but I think the Tilley is a lot hotter.??? dont know.

Let me know if you try it.

Matelot UK
benjamen and melody1204 like this.
Old 09-18-2012

RonRelyea is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matelot View Post
Best thing we found was a Tilley lamp on the roof outside the boat. If you are not familiar with a Tilley lamp, Made in Ireland, Runs on parrafin. The flies zoom in on it like Kami Kazzi pilots.Instant creamation.You need to put a sheet of something underneath to catch the little devils, Otherwise you will have a fair old job cleaning up next morning.We had a similar problem up in Scotland many years ago. Worked for us. I suppose a Butane lamp would do the job but I think the Tilley is a lot hotter.??? dont know.

Let me know if you try it.

Matelot UK
I had to look this one up in wikipedia ....

the fuel known in the United Kingdom, Ireland and South Africa as paraffin oil or just paraffin, is called kerosene in most of the U.S., Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
Old 09-18-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

GREENHEAD FLY, INSECT, TICK, FLEA, MOSQUITO, CHIGGER, DEER FLY, STABLE FLY, REPELLENT

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-18-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

Thrashed to death, and solved here: attack of the greenheads
Old 09-18-2012
Learning the HARD way...

eherlihy will become famous soon enough

People loved this electric bug zapper;
jimrafford likes this.
Old 09-18-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

The absolute best thing I've found for both greenhead and marsh flies (black flies) is Avon Skin So Soft. Unfortunately, it's only good for a couple hours, then you have to lather up again.

I recently purchased something else to cope with the flies - a 10 X 10 foot screen enclosure that I purchased from Walmart for $39. I haven't used it yet, but hope to try it out this weekend when I go to work on the boat to finish a few projects. Take a look at the first page of Low buck projects- Let's see 'em!

Cheers,

Gary
Old 09-18-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

Look into permethrin. That's a synthetic version of a chyrsanthemum extract, used in the bug-repellent clothing and sold as a DIY treatment for your own clothing as well. Everyone swears it is safe for humans, but soak a surface with it (or your clothing) and let it dry, and many-legged critters of all kinds simply drop dead when they touch it.

It is intended mainly as a flea and tick killer but seems to keep flies, mosquitoes, all sorts of critters conveniently dead on arrival.

Tags
flies