Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-19-2012
Blue Horizons

Harborless is on a distinguished road
Can I use my stove?

I traded my non-working alcohol stove for a working electrical one. Not until I got to the boat and hooked it up did I realize the electric stove draws 20 amps.
I have 3 batteries and a 700 watt inverter. So basically, I can only use my stove at shore when I can connect it to the shore supply right? Otherwise I will just blow the fuse in my inverter correct?
What would be a viable alternative? I need to be able to cook during long trips away from shore--- Would anyone recommend just a walmart propane stove for those types? Any ideas?
I got th stove for 60$ it was a steal!
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-19-2012
Last Man Standing

smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough smackdaddy is a jewel in the rough
Re: Can I use my stove?

Just hook it up to a big Honda generator and you'll be good to go.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

S/V Dawn Treader - 1989 Hunter Legend 40
Old 09-19-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

I use a coleman white fuel hiking stove. Very light and no need to worry about propane seeping into the bilge or dying of co poisoning.

Problem is the hiking stoves have tripod legs and are unstable while the boat is rolling or heeled. What I did with mine is secured a tea kettle to it and hang it from the ceiling with a short piec of line, and a very light bungee at the bottom, creating in effect a gimballed stove. This is a slightly clumbsy solution, but is something that the mini 650 racers use since they only drink fluids and freeze dried foods. I only use it to make coffee or oatmeal myself. I cook real food, if at all, at anchor (I can eat sandwhiches for a week at a time if I need to, and get better food on shore with the dinghy if at all). I think you are young and have a small boat, like me, so this shouldn't be as problematic as it might for others here...

The full sized cooking stoves from camping stores are big and take up space, have to be secured to the table somehow, and then need some way of keeping pots from sliding off them.

If you go with propane, make sure you store it in a locker that is not attached in any way to the cabin. I have had the bottles leak on me so I know it can happen, it's not just paranoia, esp in the marine environment where these bottles often begin to rust even when stored in a protected place.

I think the butane stoves are much better personally. The cartridges take up less space and last much longer than the green propane bottles, and are lighter and far less clunky. Not sure about cooking times, but anything has to be able to boil water faster than alcohol I will be switching to this shortly myself, for safety reasons.

The reason I may switch is that the current white liquid fuel stove, like all pumped stoves, when started the fuel flares up and down, and must be fiddled with, until the feeder pipe heats up enough to feed the fuel as a semi-gas. A pita in that you must be really careful till the stove is running and hot. Even when the nozzle is turned off, the remaining fluid/gas mixture takes about 30 seconds to burn off completely so you can't turn these stoves off immediately. The liquid fueled stove, if dropped, could easily crack open and spill the fuel all over, creating a raging fire in seconds, which is something I am concerned about. The gas stoves, particularly the butane, is not nearly as dangerous in this regard I think.

Probably the best stove you can get is the origo alcohol wick stove, if you can find one second hand. No gases, no pumps, no flare ups. Simple and very safe, few working parts to break. A friend at my marina is gonna give me his old single burner one, so I hope to be able to use that soon. However when beating upwind and heeling at 20-30 degrees, a gimbal is absolutely necessary.

Last edited by peterchech; 09-19-2012 at 02:48 PM.
Old 09-19-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

During long trips away from shore you need a gimballed stove like this (Forespar) propane one I installed:

https://picasaweb.google.com/jameswi...79791737352882

I use a regular 2 burner propane camp stove at anchor or in the marina. The propane canisters fit easily inside my cockpit seat-back storage cutouts. It's nice to be able to bring the stove up into the cockpit to cook outside in calm conditions.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 09-19-2012 at 03:51 PM.