SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

im going to get out of this rut

2K views 12 replies 12 participants last post by  cookwithgas 
#1 ·
so lately ive bin feeling bored with life same stuff every day school then sailing the same places being back at the same time doing the smae thing every day. And i hate doing this. this weekend im getting out of this rut im taking a day off from every thing and leaving for a trip leaving at 530-6 in the moring and letting the wind take me were ever it does. just a day trip but im breaking out of the rut any one else feel this way?

#3 ·
Enjoy the rut while you can. Before long, you'll wake up realizing that you are fully responsible for your next meal, and the next meal for your family and for 1,100 employees. It cuts down on how much sailing you get to do to those same old places.

Ironically, I've been touring colleges with my youngest daughter and I want to attend each and every one. When I was going to school, I couldn't wait to get out and go to work.

A mental break of sailing away for a day is great. But, make the most of your education and you'll have the most choices later.

#4 ·
It is amazing what a different mind-set I have when I go day sailing w/o time limits. If I know I only have a few hours (or would feel guilty if I don't get back), I continously rush. I just relax more if I don't have to get back at any particular time.

#5 · (Edited)
Get out and go. Never mind an over-hyped college degree that you won't be able to use because there are no jobs waiting for you. Learn a good trade and take it with you when you set sail.

#6 ·
Getting an education in a trade, is still an education. Learning a trade may not be an education.

But let's be clear. With our economy not creating enough new jobs and seniors not departing the workforce, kids are suffering, whether in the trades or graduating college.

However, the unemployment rate of adults with a college education is only around 4%, which is full employment.

Don't ignore it.

#8 ·
Keep that attitude, life has a way becoming monotonous. A positive attitude and touch of a free spirit will go a long way to keeping you young.

Brad
s/v KIVALO

#9 ·
Buddy in ten years time you will wish you could have some more of this very rut you are in now. ;)

#11 ·
Life is full of unexpected changes, ask me 7 years ago if I ever thought I would be a single parent raising 4 children on his own, then I would have said you were crazy. Ask me last year if after working my socks off if I would be recovering from having to have cancer treatment I would have laughed at you. Life is for living, whatever happens take it by the b*lls and run with it. Get out there and live every moment, whats that quote I have come to love.
"the regrets I have for what I have done, will temper with time, the regrets for what I have not done, for these I will be always be inconsolable for!"
Get out there let your hair down and live it to the limits, thats my life plan :)

#12 ·
Sailing, even for a short time, can change your whole mood and attitude.

I remember back a couple of decades before we chucked it all and climbed aboard for a decade and a half, when I was in outside sales. When I was having a bad morning, I would make sure my last call before lunch was near the marina where I kept my boat. Climbing aboard, with a sandwich and a soft drink, I would untie the lines, start the engine and head out on the lake.

Admittedly, I felt a little silly sailing in a three piece suit, and admittedly, my lunch hour lasted a little longer than an hour. But when I got back, the rest of my day always went much better. A salesman in a good mood is a much better salesman than a grouchy one.

We recently sold our boat that we lived on for 15 years and are buying a home ashore. I don't think I'll regret it - well, maybe, I won't - but there's no question I'll miss it.

Go sailing. It helps.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.