SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Jeffs Last Sail- MUST READ (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/92286-jeffs-last-sail-must-read.html)

RandyonR3 09-20-2012 10:41 AM

Jeffs Last Sail- MUST READ

Sept 20-2012
Met jeff a couple weeks ago when he came into my shop to have a couple sails repaired.........this is a MUST SEE .. makes you realize how precious life is..
Jeff can be contacted at jnlgomes@yahoo ..

Man Hopes To Set Off On Bucket List Sail To Panama CBS Sacramento

SHNOOL 09-20-2012 11:34 AM

Re: Jeffs Last Sail- MUST READ

Well, that just stinks.

Jeff - we hope you are here on sailnet with us (at least until you depart), because I can honestly say, all of us here are with you! We know your dream, identify with it, even if we don't know how you're feeling.

God Bless, you and your family.

bobperry 09-20-2012 11:53 AM

Randy:
Thanks for that post. I emailed Jeff and asked him to look out for my son Spike. They can do some sailing together because I'm sure there is sailing where Spike is.

smackdaddy 09-20-2012 12:08 PM

Go Jeff.

melody1204 09-20-2012 12:22 PM

Good for him for doing this. Have y'all heard the song "Walt Grace's Submarine" by John Mayer? Sorry about the length, but here are the lyrics. My current favorite song. I hope with everything I can hope that Jeff calls his family from Panama.

Walt Grace, desperately hating his whole place,
Dreamed to discover a new space,
And buried himself alive,
Inside his basement, tongue on the side of his face when,
He's working away on displacement,
And what it would take to survive.

'Cause when you're done with this world,
You know the next is up to you.
And his wife told his kids he was crazy,
And his friends said he'd fail if he tried,
But with a will to work hard,
And a library card,
He took a homemade, fan-blade, one-man submarine ride.

That morning, the sea was mad and I mean it,
Waves as big as he'd seen it,
Deep in his dreams at home.
From dry land,
He rolled it over to wet sand,
Closed the hatch up with one hand,
And peddled off alone.

And for once in his life it was quiet,
As he learned how to turn in the tide,
And the sky was a flare,
When he came up for air,
In his homemade, fan-blade, one-man submarine ride.

One evening,
When weeks had passed since his leaving,
The call she'd planned on receiving,
Finally made it home.
She accepted,
The news she'd never expected,
The operator connected,
A call from Tokyo.

Now his friends,
Bring him up when they're drinking,
At the bar with his name on the side,
And they smile when they can,
As they speak of a man,
Who took a homemade,
Fan-blade, one-man submarine ride.

Minnewaska 09-20-2012 01:04 PM

Prayers and best wishes are with Jeff.

He says that sailing relaxes him, although, has only sailed once. Sailing offshore is a lot of things, but not usually relaxing. Adventuresome, challenging, sometimes terrifying. The satisfaction for most is overcoming these. You relax after the hook goes back down.

But I'll give him this. We all see many that have a dream like this and we may have found one of the few that actually do it.

Godspeed.

melody1204 09-20-2012 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Minnewaska (Post 924425)
Prayers and best wishes are with Jeff.

He says that sailing relaxes him, although, has only sailed once. Sailing offshore is a lot of things, but not usually relaxing. Adventuresome, challenging, sometimes terrifying. The satisfaction for most is overcoming these. You relax after the hook goes back down.

But I'll give him this. We all see many that have a dream like this and we may have found one of the few that actually do it.

Godspeed.

I would have to say that when faced with dying in a hospital vs. even the most terrifying offshore sailing, I'd choose the sailing any day.

Sailing can be all of the above, but I've found my most relaxing moments and times of peace while sailing offshore. Get on a good tack, set the autopilot, go sit on the bow, and just watch the water for hours - my favorite thing in the world. There's just nothing like it. :)

I know we're all rooting for him - Jeff, if you're reading this, check in as soon as you get to Panama - better yet, send a picture!

bobperry 09-20-2012 01:36 PM

I'm in email contact with Jeff and answering his questions the best I can. Not sure if he has a clue as to who I am but I'll help where I can and he seems open to my ideas. I'm focusing on "get away cheap, get away fast".

SHNOOL 09-20-2012 01:36 PM

Here's a better question, what can we all do to help? If anyone will support him in his lunacy, it'd be us.

Minnewaska 09-20-2012 01:37 PM

You are right, Melody. However, my point was, those are not the norm when offshore for a lengthy period of time. At least not the offshore I've been in.