Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree138Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road
Re: Is sleeping OK?

Well us single handers have a pretty good track record as far as not bumping into each other goes.
Capt.aaron likes this.
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

Light travels faster than sound. That is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak!.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
We will call it Unwilling to Adhere to Colregs, abbreviated UTAC (pronounced you-tack). The light configuration will be black over black (remember black lights from the 60's.). ..
Cool, is anyone selling these?

Sponsors, where are you when we need you?
Old 09-24-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I do have insurance on my charter boat buisiness, but not on my little 28' engineless sloop.
I hope that your charter boat business is a limited business, that would not be subject to a liability suit associated with an incident with the sloop. I understand that the US is a fairly litigious society.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 09-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferretchaser View Post
Well us single handers have a pretty good track record as far as not bumping into each other goes.

It is the other boats /objects you should worry about.
Old 09-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
Or maybe yachty's should stay near the yacht club where they are coverd and help is near and leave the big boy passages to the salts. You can have no balls in the rigging as a confirmation of your status. sailors have been single handling for milleniums before your holy book of rules.
Aaron - I think you know this; but I have about 10,000 miles of blue water experience (3 times Hawaii to PNW and once Newport, RI to St. Barths via Bermuda).

This summer was the only time I had to get outside help; I am eternily grateful to AMVER, CG Honolulu and the Navarino for the medical evacuation from Turicum.

My balls are not in the rigging, they are firmly attached to me. Pulling along side an 1100 foot container ship mid ocean takes some cojones.
Capt.aaron and Brewgyver like this.
Old 09-24-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
But you are underway.
Jackdale,
No need to yell. I hear you just fine. There is "underway" in legalese and there is "underway" in a practical sense. With a sea anchor and with close hauling you may be "underway" legally, but pretty much not "underway" in a practical sense - so as to run into something.
I know, in court there is only one interpretation. But most of us will never see the inside of the courtroom and even if we were to and you slept during the day like your judge recommends confusion would still prevail.
Going back to the original question; "Is sleeping OK?" "Yes, if you follow all the COLREGS." is the simplest, most correct answer. But how does that provide a functional answer for the guy wanting to do his first single handed multiday excursion?
That is all I was trying to do. Configure yourself so you are not moving, make yourself visible and do what you need to do. Not sleeping will make you more dangerous than you would be if not moving and clearly visible.
(where's the peace sign smilie?)
Old 09-24-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I hope that your charter boat business is a limited business, that would not be subject to a liability suit associated with an incident with the sloop. I understand that the US is a fairly litigious society.
I would have to have my head so far up my ass to hit another boat I could see what I had for breakfast. It's not even in the realm of possability's. In close quarters I'm moviing so slow I could fend off with a finger, out of the harbour I don't come withinn 1000's of yards of other boat's. On a dive charter of a few hours no one is napping. You obviously have never done a solo sailing passage because it's not covered in colregs on how to do it. Maybe one day the law's and underwritters will get together and offer coverage and an option for a day signal communicating your status and you can try it. You have to be self sufficiant and resourcefull, a skilled navigator, decision maker and able to handle anything the universe throw's ya, and it can be scary if you are used to having six people and an insurance company making sure if you make a mistake your covered, but rewarding in so many way's.
Ferretchaser likes this.
Old 09-24-2012

BTW - I should mention that as an instructor I am required to be able to single-hand and I have done so. The single-handed test includes docking and departing, MOB under sail (upwind and down wind), MOB under power, anchoring, and raising, lowering and reefing sails. As an instructor evaluator, I get to assess instructor candidates abilities to do so.

As for sleeping while single-handed, I draw the line.
Old 09-24-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Aaron - I think you know this; but I have about 10,000 miles of blue water experience (3 times Hawaii to PNW and once Newport, RI to St. Barths via Bermuda).

This summer was the only time I had to get outside help; I am eternily grateful to AMVER, CG Honolulu and the Navarino for the medical evacuation from Turicum.

My balls are not in the rigging, they are firmly attached to me. Pulling along side an 1100 foot container ship mid ocean takes some cojones.
ok ok , I get it, I had 26,000 blue water miles by the Time I was 19 and stopped counting 20 years ago. I know you are a world class sailor, but us solo guy's need to defend our right to do it regardless of that blasted colregs book for not giving us an option to sleep. All we need is a pargraph, saying hove to in certain situation we can rest. underway but not making way with a strobe or something, what ever. ccriders idea is good. It's kind of lying about your staus, but I only lie about really important stuff, and staying alive is in that catagory.
Brewgyver likes this.
Old 09-24-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
BTW - I should mention that as an instructor I am required to be able to single-hand and I have done so. The single-handed test includes docking and departing, MOB under sail (upwind and down wind), MOB under power, anchoring, and raising, lowering and reefing sails. As an instructor evaluator, I get to assess instructor candidates abilities to do so.

As for sleeping while single-handed, I draw the line.
That's cool. My line is not staying up for more than 24 without a caculated rest, I plan my passages to accomidate this, and have done so and will continue to do so till I can't. Me being hove to and napping at noon in the middle of the ocean poses no threat to any body but my self. save the dude making way while asleep, the chances are so remote it's not worth discussing.