Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree138Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-20-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough
Re: Is sleeping OK?

Simon .... do you have AIS as well as radar ? (Hi to you both btw, trust all is well with you.)

LoboPops .... maybe a house roof will be visible to the naked eye but the reality is that even awake it is going to be pretty damn easy to miss the odd log or tree trunk. On passage, how many solo sailors are keeping a full time forward lookout ? Very few methinks. I rarely sail solo these days but on anything over ten hours or so for at least part of the time there will only be one of us on deck and that one is probably sitting in the cockpit looking aft or abeam.

For mine I like AIS. Picks up pretty much all commercial craft these days. A while back we were caught in a pea souper off Sydney with a tanker moving up the coast and into Sydney Harbour. Without AIS I would have been ever so slightly on edge.
blowinstink likes this.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-20-2012
Owned by Velcro

Ferretchaser is on a distinguished road

I single hand and yes I do sleep when I am away from shipping lanes. With modern navigation and the cost of fuel, those freighters stick to the shortest routes and don't stray away from them and as far as statistics go, singlehanders have a pretty good track record of not bumping into each other. I set the radar on a 3 mile perimiter and hit the hay for as long as I can sleep. As far as the stuff goes that drifts around out there, I bet that even keeping watch at night one would not spot a half submerged container or other such stuff, that is a risk, I and in reality we all have to take, or stay at the dock. I have seen first hand what not having had enough sleep can do when a single hander hit the harbour wall when he finaly fell asleep with his boat running on auto pilot. It got trashed beond repair and is sitting next to the travel lift slip in Horta.
So as far as I am concerned, I get as much sleep when I can, because ye never know when ye have to be proper awake and have yer wits about ye.

ATB

Michael
CBinRI, xymotic, SVTatia and 1 others like this.

Last edited by Ferretchaser; 09-20-2012 at 07:30 PM.
Old 09-20-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

I sleep as soon as the sun has been up for a few minuets untill noon and just hope they see me. it's been working for over 20 years, no gadgets. I take a nap from 4 till sunset and stay up through the dark hours. This keeps me from being sleep deprived.
xymotic, davidpm, dugout and 1 others like this.
Old 09-20-2012
Banned

dabnis is on a distinguished road

I have no experience with sleeping underway. I do have some experience being in Northern California coastal waters. Ships can close on you at an alarming rate. If I were to sleep, I would have a reliable loud alarm clock that I could set for about 10 to 15 minutes or so. As mentioned above radar and AIS could help reduce your chances of being run down, if they are working properly.

Paul T
Old 09-20-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

No, sleeping is not OK.

A relevant court case

FindACase™ | GRANHOLM v. THE VESSEL TFL EXPRESS
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 09-20-2012
Battered and Bruised

Silvio is on a distinguished road

As with most things, I think the answer depends. I sleep underway when single handing for more than 15 hours or so. Mostly when well outside shipping lanes and away from heavy traffic areas. Mostly I sleep in the cockpit for an hour or two at a time. The 20 minutes cat naps don't do much for me. If the cockpit is uncomfortable due to weather I will go below and nap. I try to stay up most of the overnight hours and sleep during the day when I can. I couldn't sleep through an AIS alarm if I wanted to, darn thing is loud. I judge that I am better off sleeping and being fully awake and alert when I do get into traffic areas or am making a harbor entrance.

To each their own, at the end of the day the captain is responsible for his/her ship.
Old 09-20-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Sure, but the sailor who was run down in the case was the one who brought the lawsuit and he was awarded half his damages:

"Summary of Damages In view of the foregoing, I allow plaintiff's claim for damages as follows: Lost Property: $149,358.00 Personal Injury: 5,000.00 Travel Expense: 952.60 Total: $155,310.60

Under the Court's resolution of the liability question, plaintiff will recover judgment for one-half of this amount, $77,655.30, against the vessel TFL EXPRESS in rem and defendant Timur Carriers (Pte.) Ltd. in personam. The complaint against defendant Trans Freight Lines, Inc. will be dismissed."

Yes, he shared in the fault for the accident because he went belowdecks to sleep. I am somewhat surprised he sued the ship that ran him down. He thought the fact that the Camera was a sailing vessel put the motor vessel Express at fault. Both parties claimed the other had inadequate watch and at least one of them claimed the other was not displaying lights.

So the long and the short of it is he lost his vessel and he was awarded damages.
blowinstink likes this.

Last edited by jameswilson29; 09-20-2012 at 08:15 PM.
Old 09-20-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

James

The Express was found partially at fault for not maintaining a proper lookout. Had they done so, the finding would probably have been different.

Most collisions do not find 100% fault with one party.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 09-20-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

You have to know when it's ok, for how long, where you are etc. If I'm approaching a shipping lane, I may heave to in day light and sail into when rested . If you are heading towards a coast line, heave to and set the hand crank egg timer for 15 minuets, and cat nap. but to say it's not ok to sleep is to say single handed ocean crossings, circ's, etc. are not ok. And it's probably not ok if you don't do it prudently and properly. Single handling isn't for everyone and for some like me it's all there is. It's why I sail.
Classic30 likes this.
Old 09-20-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
James

The Express was found partially at fault for not maintaining a proper lookout. Had they done so, the finding would probably have been different.

Most collisions do not find 100% fault with one party.
The Defendant Express denied that they did not have a proper watch. The judge seems to have reached the conclusion based on reverse logic. He first concludes that the S/V Camera was displaying the proper lights. Then he concludes that the Express must not have had a proper watch or it would have seen the lights:

"Given the finding that the CAMERA was displaying proper navigation lights, the fault of the EXPRESS logically follows.Defendants offered evidence, which I accept, that had the CAMERA been displaying no lights, she could not have been seen by those on board the EXPRESS in sufficient time to avoid collision, given the characteristics of the latter vessel. But I have found that the CAMERA was displaying the lights required by the rules; and there is no suggestion that the EXPRESS could not have fulfilled her obligation of avoiding the CAMERA if the CAMERA was displaying a proper sternlight which the EXPRESS's lookout had timely observed. In these circumstances, the EXPRESS must be held in fault."

So, basically, since the motor vessel hit the sailing vessel at night while the s/v displayed lights, the motor vessel shared in the fault.

Well, the sailboat owner lost his boat, but at least he caught up on some sleep (and was awarded damages). All things considered, he was a lucky fellow that night...

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.