SailNet Community banner
  • SailNet is a forum community dedicated to Sailing enthusiasts. Come join the discussion about sailing, modifications, classifieds, troubleshooting, repairs, reviews, maintenance, and more!

Is sleeping OK?

27K views 219 replies 45 participants last post by  Capt.aaron 
#1 ·
I’ve been watching solo crossings/sailing on you-tube. What’s the rule on sleeping while sailing in the middle of nowhere?

#2 ·
Well, the "rule" says that you are required to maintain a watch. Most solo sailors interpret that to mean that it is okay to cat-nap, getting up every 15-20 minutes or so to check the horizon. Some people insist that this is unsafe and does not meet the rules. Personally, I don't see a problem with it.

Now, if you go off to sleep for hours at a time... That's a whole different matter.

#4 ·
I am a singehander and break the rules all the time on passage. Section I, Paragraph 5 of the COLREGS:
Section I
4. Application
The rules apply in any visibility (e.g., in sight or in restricted visibility).
5. Look-out
Every vessel must at all times maintain a proper look-out by sight (day shape or lights by eyes or visual aids)and hearing (sound signal or Marine VHF radio) as well as by all available means (e.g., Radar, Automatic Radar Plotting Aid (ARPA), Automatic Identification System (AIS), GMDSS...) in order to make a full assessment of the situation and risk of collision
I use my radar and AIS (transponder) but as soon as I get some shut-eye I am breaking rule 5. If anything happens while I am not actively on deck and keeping lookout then I am either partially or completely at fault.
If I am at fault in a collision with a big vessel then I'm also dead. Even if I am the stand-on vessel but not on watch I am both dead and at fault.

#5 ·
Solo sailors have to weigh the risks associated with not keeping a full-time watch and the risks associated with sleep deprivation. Fatal mistakes can occur due to either of these conditions. Ten to twenty minute cat-naps can cover you for shorter voyages, but over longer voyages, the solo sailor has to sleep sometime or he will end up doing something super stupid.

#7 ·
The single handers claim to sleep 20 minutes at a time, for example those in the mini transat atlantic race. However when you read their accounts, you often hear of them going below for several hours to sleep after an especially tiring day (many sail changes, bad weather, etc). They rely on the radar with a beep that wakes you up when it sees something passing nearby. That combined with an AIS tranceiver, radar detector and active radar reflector (though these only work with the older generation radars I have heard) seem to cover you pretty well.

However I know that one of these mini 650's had an issue where the sailor accidentally turned down the volume on his radar and wasn't awakened until it was too late. He lost his rig in the middle of the atlantic after hitting a tanker. He was lucky he didn't hit it straight on or he would have certainly died.

I often wonder how coastal single handers do it, since it will be rare that you will have nothing on the horizon for 20 minutes at a time, ever...

#8 · (Edited)
I saw very few boats and ships off the coast of Virginia, Maryland and Delaware, on the 3 trips I took this summer, when I slept for 10 - 20 minutes at a time in the cockpit or on the foredeck at night if I could.

What's really sad is the pitiful number of other sailboats out there. I saw 3 on my first trip and none on my second trip, not counting in the immediate vicinity of the Cape May inlet. At 28', my boat was clearly much smaller than the 3 other sailboats I saw - 1 of which I passed going in the Ocean City inlet as it left. Where is everyone? (This true for the Chesapeake, too, once you get away from the Northern Bay and the large marine towns/cities like Baltimore, Annapolis, or Solomon's Island, you really don't see that many other vessels out there, even in the summer).

I saw a dozen large luxury powerboats and sport fishing boats at different times, running up and down the coast, but none at night, and none very close.

I saw only 2 or 3 commercial vessels, and only 1 I needed to avoid, converging near the entrance to the Chesapeake Bay in the early morning hours.

I am sure it is much worse near large cities like New York, but I really didn't see that much vessel traffic on my coastal trips. So the reality is, you can go hours without seeing any other boats, even on a coastal trip. In fact, it was a somewhat unnerving experience for me to be far away from shore, and to not see anything other than the sea and the sky for hours at a time.

#25 ·
Actually, the new 3G and 4G radar systems WILL pick up the trash. You can see crab pots, gulls floating on the surface and flying off as your boat approaches, pretty much anything out there including styrofoam cups. The only 3G Radar system I've seen personally is the Lowrance, and it was absolutely incredible. So in this situation, radar is definitely your friend.

Cheers,

Gary :cool:

#10 ·
how 'bout:
you die, is your own damn fault--just dont take anyone else with ye....

i have a friend who solos and does go below to sleep-i keep telling him this.

even shorthanded sometimes ye get really tired--i will cop short naps in cockpit, not below, and i make sure to sweep horizon before i shut eyes for a second or two. .

#11 ·
Simon .... do you have AIS as well as radar ? (Hi to you both btw, trust all is well with you.)

LoboPops .... maybe a house roof will be visible to the naked eye but the reality is that even awake it is going to be pretty damn easy to miss the odd log or tree trunk. On passage, how many solo sailors are keeping a full time forward lookout ? Very few methinks. I rarely sail solo these days but on anything over ten hours or so for at least part of the time there will only be one of us on deck and that one is probably sitting in the cockpit looking aft or abeam.

For mine I like AIS. Picks up pretty much all commercial craft these days. A while back we were caught in a pea souper off Sydney with a tanker moving up the coast and into Sydney Harbour. Without AIS I would have been ever so slightly on edge. :eek:

Reactions: blowinstink
#22 · (Edited)
Simon .... do you have AIS as well as radar ? (Hi to you both btw, trust all is well with you.)
Hi A&W Yes I have AIS but this is on the chartplotter wich has a silly beep beep warning, On my Radar which is also my old back up chartplotter that is pre AIS I have a 110 db Pisso alarm (think smoke detector alarm). I do not sleep when in the traffic lanes. I must say now Julie is with me I tend to sleep deeper but still wake every hour, even at anchor.

#12 · (Edited)
I single hand and yes I do sleep when I am away from shipping lanes. With modern navigation and the cost of fuel, those freighters stick to the shortest routes and don't stray away from them and as far as statistics go, singlehanders have a pretty good track record of not bumping into each other. I set the radar on a 3 mile perimiter and hit the hay for as long as I can sleep. As far as the stuff goes that drifts around out there, I bet that even keeping watch at night one would not spot a half submerged container or other such stuff, that is a risk, I and in reality we all have to take, or stay at the dock. I have seen first hand what not having had enough sleep can do when a single hander hit the harbour wall when he finaly fell asleep with his boat running on auto pilot. It got trashed beond repair and is sitting next to the travel lift slip in Horta.
So as far as I am concerned, I get as much sleep when I can, because ye never know when ye have to be proper awake and have yer wits about ye.

ATB

Michael

#14 ·
I have no experience with sleeping underway. I do have some experience being in Northern California coastal waters. Ships can close on you at an alarming rate. If I were to sleep, I would have a reliable loud alarm clock that I could set for about 10 to 15 minutes or so. As mentioned above radar and AIS could help reduce your chances of being run down, if they are working properly.

Paul T

#30 ·
Thank you for the above. The case goes along the lines I have seen in the past. The point is also driven home. Do NOT expect the other ship/boat to look out for you. There are too many things that can happen (lights burn out, lookout not utilizing proper techniques or something else gets their attention, other equipment malfunction, etc.)

The only reasonable conclusions I can draw:

1. Find an inlet or other place to moor or drop anchor out of the way.

2. Sail with someone else along to share watch duties (plus never hurts to have extra hands in an emergency.)

3. Continue with as much navigational warning equipment on that I have on board and realize that responsibility for any accidents may or will be my fault!

#16 ·
As with most things, I think the answer depends. I sleep underway when single handing for more than 15 hours or so. Mostly when well outside shipping lanes and away from heavy traffic areas. Mostly I sleep in the cockpit for an hour or two at a time. The 20 minutes cat naps don't do much for me. If the cockpit is uncomfortable due to weather I will go below and nap. I try to stay up most of the overnight hours and sleep during the day when I can. I couldn't sleep through an AIS alarm if I wanted to, darn thing is loud. I judge that I am better off sleeping and being fully awake and alert when I do get into traffic areas or am making a harbor entrance.

To each their own, at the end of the day the captain is responsible for his/her ship.

#17 · (Edited)
Sure, but the sailor who was run down in the case was the one who brought the lawsuit and he was awarded half his damages:

"Summary of Damages In view of the foregoing, I allow plaintiff's claim for damages as follows: Lost Property: $149,358.00 Personal Injury: 5,000.00 Travel Expense: 952.60 Total: $155,310.60

Under the Court's resolution of the liability question, plaintiff will recover judgment for one-half of this amount, $77,655.30, against the vessel TFL EXPRESS in rem and defendant Timur Carriers (Pte.) Ltd. in personam. The complaint against defendant Trans Freight Lines, Inc. will be dismissed."

Yes, he shared in the fault for the accident because he went belowdecks to sleep. I am somewhat surprised he sued the ship that ran him down. He thought the fact that the Camera was a sailing vessel put the motor vessel Express at fault. Both parties claimed the other had inadequate watch and at least one of them claimed the other was not displaying lights.

So the long and the short of it is he lost his vessel and he was awarded damages.

#18 ·
James

The Express was found partially at fault for not maintaining a proper lookout. Had they done so, the finding would probably have been different.

Most collisions do not find 100% fault with one party.

#20 ·
The Defendant Express denied that they did not have a proper watch. The judge seems to have reached the conclusion based on reverse logic. He first concludes that the S/V Camera was displaying the proper lights. Then he concludes that the Express must not have had a proper watch or it would have seen the lights:

"Given the finding that the CAMERA was displaying proper navigation lights, the fault of the EXPRESS logically follows.Defendants offered evidence, which I accept, that had the CAMERA been displaying no lights, she could not have been seen by those on board the EXPRESS in sufficient time to avoid collision, given the characteristics of the latter vessel. But I have found that the CAMERA was displaying the lights required by the rules; and there is no suggestion that the EXPRESS could not have fulfilled her obligation of avoiding the CAMERA if the CAMERA was displaying a proper sternlight which the EXPRESS's lookout had timely observed. In these circumstances, the EXPRESS must be held in fault."

So, basically, since the motor vessel hit the sailing vessel at night while the s/v displayed lights, the motor vessel shared in the fault.

Well, the sailboat owner lost his boat, but at least he caught up on some sleep (and was awarded damages). All things considered, he was a lucky fellow that night...

#19 ·
You have to know when it's ok, for how long, where you are etc. If I'm approaching a shipping lane, I may heave to in day light and sail into when rested . If you are heading towards a coast line, heave to and set the hand crank egg timer for 15 minuets, and cat nap. but to say it's not ok to sleep is to say single handed ocean crossings, circ's, etc. are not ok. And it's probably not ok if you don't do it prudently and properly. Single handling isn't for everyone and for some like me it's all there is. It's why I sail.

#21 ·
I sleep during the dayand hope anything else is keeping a good watch.

If I was outside the shipping lanes I would risk a longer sleep say two to 3 hours followed by cat naps otherwise 20 minute naps with two timers to wake me.

Keep watch at night.

A single hander on passage has no option as you will be hallucinating after 48 to 60 hours without sleep. You have to sleep.

#24 · (Edited)
A few thoughts...

First, I think it's somewhat naive in today's world to adhere to the notion of well-defined "shipping lanes" offshore... With highly sophisticated weather routing, virtually real time satellite imagery of the Gulf Stream, and so on, the old rules and patterns of ships making open ocean passages simply no longer apply, to a considerable extent. With the exception of well-defined traffic and separation schemes on approaches to ports or straits, it's virtually impossible for a small yacht traveling at 5-6 knots to realistically assess their proximity to "shipping lanes", they're EVERYWHERE, these days:

Second, IMHO, effective sleep management for a singlehander is, for most individuals, a practiced and acquired skill. One that might take years to fully master... Within the Anglo-Saxon culture, unlike the Latin, there has never been a widespread adaptation of the practice of daytime "napping", and to do it effectively, and come to understand your body's circadian rhythms, and what works best for you, can take a LONG time to figure out... I believe it's totally unreasonable for someone, for example, who has lived a conventional workaday existence, to suddenly jump into a life of singlehanded sailing, and do so in relative safety immediately...

For anyone seriously considering extensive singlehanded passagemaking, I'd highly recommend the sleep seminar conducted by Dr Claudio Stampi in conjunction with the Bermuda 1-2 every other year... He's the world's foremost authority on sleep research with singlehanded racers, the guy certainly knows his stuff...

Lastly, while coastal passages are certainly more stressful as a rule, even along the East coast, there can often be a surprising lack of traffic out there... As James W noted, the lower Delmarva is one such area, that can be a very lonely piece of real estate... And, between Hatteras and Canaveral, inshore of the Stream and away from the various approaches to Cape Fear, Charleston, Savannah, and Jacksonville, there's really not nearly as much going on out there, as many might assume...

#26 ·
This is probably a really dumb question but here goes! If a sailing vessel is stopped, heave to or hove to, are they ok to go and have a good nap without worrying about the legal obligations of a lookout? Daytime or night time? With proper nav lights on. Would heaving to only require anchor lights?

#28 ·
Now look, someone is bound to pop in and prove once again that i don't know my arse from a hole in the ground but as far as I am aware you would be still underway, even when hove to.

#27 ·
To a bulk carrier it makes no ods weather you are siling at 5 knots or are hove to and as far as the legal aspect goes, who cares when you end up under the bow of one of them. But to answer your question, no you are not at anchor and are by rights sailing the fact that you are not making any way does not matter. You still have the rags up and your vesel is able to manuver.

ATB

Michael

#29 · (Edited)
I spend a lot of my life in a commercial wheel house on watch. We see sailboats very well in the day time. The day's of the untrained junky nodding off on radar watch is a thing of the past. Night time approaching Cartagenia is not a good time to sleep, hove to in the day time out in the ocean is safer than not sleeping. Shipping lanes basically exist. time is money and the line drawn between busy ports is a lane, ships stick to routes. Ofcourse they can be any where. 100 ships pass me on the way to Bahamas, one will pass in six day's on my regular route to Honduras, because I'm out of the "major" shipping traffic. I don't think you need to be raised in siesta ville to take a much needed sleep after an all night watch nor do I think long off shore single handed passages are for the average cubical paper sales man from suburbia, all though those dudes do sometimes pull it off. You either have the sea coursing through your veins or you don't. I did an 8 day passage when I was 19, fell asleep the third night out for 7 hours in the Yucatan channel, stupid luck got me through that night. I was niave to think trying to stay up as much as possible was the best tactic. Now when I do that run I sleep in the light of day and stay up all night.

#34 ·
I don't think you need to be raised in siesta ville to take a much needed sleep after an all night watch...
All I'm saying is, that to perfect the art of "napping", and learning to maximize the benefits of 20 minute naps, and perfect the ability to subsist on them for extended periods of time, is not likely to come as naturally to most Americans or others not raised in a culture where midday napping is commonplace...

Every individual is different, the "rules" about sleeping will vary from person to person somewhat. All I'm suggesting is that is can take a considerable amount of experience, and experimentation, to learn what works best for you...

The videos posted by Drake Paragon of his voyage to Bermuda were illustrative of this... He really didn't have a clue about how to best manage his sleep as a singlehander, and it showed...

Actually, the new 3G and 4G radar systems WILL pick up the trash. You can see crab pots, gulls floating on the surface and flying off as your boat approaches, pretty much anything out there including styrofoam cups. The only 3G Radar system I've seen personally is the Lowrance, and it was absolutely incredible. So in this situation, radar is definitely your friend.

Cheers,

Probably just me, but I think the effectiveness of the use of radar as a watchstanding substitute for a singlehander offshore is generally overrated, especially in a seaway... No radar is gonna be discerning styrofoam cups floating about with a 10' sea running...

And, if your guard zone alarm is indeed picking up things like seabirds or flying fish, well - you are NEVER gonna get more than a minute or two of sleep at a time... (grin)

In thick weather or restricted visibility, radar can be invaluable, of course... But, as a means of avoidance of debris, not so much... Given the choice between watching the water ahead, or monitoring a radar screen, I'll take the former every time... And, after dark, I'll stick with attempting to maintain my night vision, rather than degrading it with continuous reliance upon radar...

#35 ·
Like Aaron, I don't advocate sleeping/napping while underway at night--it's just plain foolish. It's risky during the day, but at night it's insane.

As for spotting partly submerged debris at night, even with the best night vision - not a prayer. In 10-foot seas, especially with close wave intervals, you'd be lucky to see a telephone pole at night, let alone have the ability to avoid it during one of those 20-minute naps.

Sleep deprivation can be dangerous to your health as well, and from my viewpoint those 20-minute naps are nothing but a modified form of sleep deprivation. There have been numerous studies by major medical centers that clearly show sleep deprivation can lead to a heart attack, even for those that are relatively young. Essentially, those short naps are the medical equivalent of sleep apnea, a conditions which eliminates REM sleep from taking place.

Keep in mind that I DO NOT advocate using radar for a night watch while the captain is fast asleep--even if just for 20 minutes. Most people would not hear the high-pitched electronic alarm sounding, at least most old codgers that I know. The radar, however, makes sailing at night a lot safer than sailing at night without radar. With broadband radar you can readily identify smaller targets that traditional radar may not even see, thereby providing you with the ability to avoid them.

Sleeping during the day, especially with something on deck that is day-glo orange to make your boat highly visible, makes perfectly good sense to me, especially if you're well out of the commercial shipping lanes. Inshore, where commercial traffic is often limited to a confined area, and the surrounding water is relatively shallow, I would find an inlet, lee side of an island, etc..., drop the hook and set the GPS/plotter's anchor alarm. Eight hours of sound sleep during the day beats the Hell out of 20 minute naps in the middle of the night.

Just my 2-cents worth,

#36 · (Edited)
... from my viewpoint those 20-minute naps are nothing but a modified form of sleep deprivation... Essentially, those short naps are the medical equivalent of sleep apnea, a conditions which eliminates REM sleep from taking place.

Sleeping during the day, especially with something on deck that is day-glo orange to make your boat highly visible, makes perfectly good sense to me...

Actually, some of the polyphasic sleep studies show otherwise.

We humans have amazing minds and bodies. It seems your brain will adapt your sleep to the type of sleep you need. If you practice sleeping in 20 min. segments, you will no longer go through the normal 3 hours sleep cycle and you might immediately enter deep sleep or only get REM in the 20 minutes, depending on what you need.

We are designed to be bi-phasic, to sleep at night and be awake during the day, perhaps with a midday nap, so early morning or late afternoon daytime sleep will always be somewhat unnatural and will never be as satisfying as nighttime sleep or your natural siesta. On the other hand, nighttime alertness or periodic awakenings might have served a beneficial purpose in our evolution. Of course, it is best to sleep naturally at night without interruptions, but that is not possible for the solo sailor without some risk of collision.

I believe you can program your brain to be a little more conscious while you are sleeping lightly, so you will be aware of any changes in wind, waves, moonlight, etc., on a coastal trip. This is the benefit of sleeping in the cockpit or the foredeck in a beanbag chair - not only can you tell when your boat is off-course or the wind direction has changed, but you also might be able to hear the engine of an approaching boat or sense some change that would allow you to avoid a collision at the last moment. Sleeping belowdecks seems dangerous to me on a coastal trip because you have that much less sensory perception and less ability to wake up in time.

I have similar nightmares for several weeks after an extended cruise - my boat is in jeopardy and I have to wake up to remedy the situation. I assume this is a carryover or extension of some kind of underlying anxiety about this really happening, and this mindset causes me to sleep lightly and alertly when I am cruising (for short periods).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.