Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road
Re: Frameless steel construction

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt.aaron View Post
I've never finished my boat's interior, owned her for 23 years, been sailing and working on her for 33,
You have been around long enough to know the drill.
Without pictures it didn't happen!!

Seriously I'll bet I'm not the only one who would like to see pictures.
BluemanSailor likes this.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2012
Bathurst NB

PeterSailer is on a distinguished road

If I recall correctly, Bernard Moitessier outfitted the interior of Tamata realy simply.
Unfortunally I don't have his books with me so I don't know the extent of the "simplicity" of his cabin layout, perhaps somebody could informe us on the subject?

Pierre
Old 09-22-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterSailer View Post
If I recall correctly, Bernard Moitessier outfitted the interior of Tamata realy simply.
Unfortunally I don't have his books with me so I don't know the extent of the "simplicity" of his cabin layout, perhaps somebody could informe us on the subject? Pierre
Joshua was a pretty simple boat but more than a shell with bean bag chairs. Moitessier was a bit of a mad monk and not really a very admirable character. He left a string of abandoned women and children in his wake.

The Pardey's are a much better example to follow than Bernie. They cr@p into a plastic bucket and all the other minimalist touchstones.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Last edited by SloopJonB; 09-22-2012 at 06:16 PM.
Old 09-22-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Capt.aaron is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidpm View Post
You have been around long enough to know the drill.
Without pictures it didn't happen!!

Seriously I'll bet I'm not the only one who would like to see pictures.
Ya, I'll take pictures when I'm done But with that logic ,your culrly haired little dog steer's your boat It happened, I saw the picture! But serioulsly I have some on my wifes mac and I'll e-mail them to my pc and figure out how to attach them here, In the right light it looks fancy.

I've left my share of girls crying on the dock, let's not be too hard on Bernard, Love life aside he was a hell of a sailor.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 09-22-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-22-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
I'm just speculating here but you live alone, right?
My wife up untill recently owned a ranger 26 with nice pillows and stuff, we slept on hers and sailed mine, she sold that, and moved onto her father's ( now our's)commercial lobster boat that we converted to a live aboard dive boat. In order to run it as a biz we rented a studio in down town Key West while I "Finish" my boat's insides and move to our house "Cabin/Shack" In Guanaja Honduras where my boat will live moored out untill when ever. The dive boat is for sale and the studio is cumfy for now but expensive (Catch 22) But I've had a handfull of girls live the min. life with me over the years, the rock climbing, surfer girl, burning man type chicks can handle it and actually like it. And of course exactly half my life is spent crammed in to an old tug boat with 3 other dudes.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 09-22-2012 at 06:57 PM.
Old 09-22-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
I've left my share of girls crying on the dock, let's not be too hard on Bernard, Love life aside he was a hell of a sailor.
Most sailors have done that - it sort of comes with the territory BUT, leaving a string of crying girls and 9 months later, crying babies behind is quite a different thing.

It's called irresponsibility and it's supposed to be outgrown at a fairly early point in ones life.

There are oodles of great sailors out there who are also MEN who live up to their responsibilities, not overgrown boys passing themselves off as quasi-mystics.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 09-22-2012
KNOT KNOWN

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Most sailors have done that - it sort of comes with the territory BUT, leaving a string of crying girls and 9 months later, crying babies behind is quite a different thing.

It's called irresponsibility and it's supposed to be outgrown at a fairly early point in ones life.

There are oodles of great sailors out there who are also MEN who live up to their responsibilities, not overgrown boys passing themselves off as quasi-mystics.
TRUE..no respect for dead beat absenty dad's. I've only ever focussed on his sailing... he did run his girl home non stop from Tahiit to france because she missed the kids. I don't know if he supported them financially, I alway's assumed he did at least that...As for the self proclaimed mystic..I don't know, I read that vagabond book...what ever, the dude knew the sea..and I've alway's been a fan of Joshua's construction, the barrel hoop frame style and spinning the hull in boiler craddles as to never weld upside down. My wife and I both like his famous decsision to keep on going in the mad men race etc.

Last edited by Capt.aaron; 09-23-2012 at 07:41 AM.
Old 09-22-2012
Bathurst NB

PeterSailer is on a distinguished road

It's not the first time I heard that Moitessier had "issues"... But he was a hell of a good sailor, we have to give him that...And I bet his telephone pole mast was heavier then the steel mast I'm thinking about

Regarding heavy masts, they're not all bad, the boat will be more tender yes, but have less chance of capsizing due to the mast inertia. The theory is that the wave will have passed under the boat before the boat has a chance to start moving that mast around.

Try standing with a small aluminium pipe pointing it towards the sky, now move it from side to side as fast as you can. Now do the same thing with a heavier steel pipe and you won't be able to move it as fast... It's the same principle on a sailboat.

Most of the BrentSwain36 were oufitted with a steel mast without any issues.

Pierre
Old 09-23-2012

davidpm is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Ya, I'll take pictures when I'm done But with that logic ,your culrly haired little dog steer's your boat It happened, I saw the picture! But serioulsly I have some on my wifes mac and I'll e-mail them to my pc and figure out how to attach them here, In the right light it looks fancy.
Looking forward to what you come up with.

You caught me on the picture thing. That picture was hard won. Cost about a quarter pound of chicken balanced on the wheel and about 50 shots before we got the right one.

I've looked at enough yachworld boats to know what you mean about the right light.
Old 09-23-2012
KNOT KNOWN

It's a great shot and worth the effort, I love his expression. he looks so intent on staying on course.