Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-22-2012

dacap06 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to dacap06
Transiting to the Chesapeake

I'm helping my best bud transit his 34 Silverton Aft Cabin. We left Kingston NY this morning and are tied up at Liberty Landing opposite Manhattan for the evening. Tomorrow, we'll transit down to Tom's River where he'll lay up for the Winter, gas prices being what they are. We will bring it the rest of the way next Spring when he's not such a pauper due to the gas bills.

I must say, I saw some beautiful sailing vessels today on the Hudson. Some of the hulls include wealth of sloops under 30 feet, an entire regatta of racing sloops from the looks of it, a 50+ ft cruising catamaran, a gaff rigged ketch, and a schooner with a gaff mizzen and a marconi main and two headsails running at (I'd guess) 10 kts. The waters here are crowded but beautiful. And I got a great shot of the new World Trade Center still under construction with the sun shinging on it at a great angle.

All that is just to say I'm not where I usually am. If you should see someone on a Silverton waving animatedly at you as you sail by, be friendly and wave back 'cause it is me having a great time.

Tom
wingNwing and eddie nelson like this.
Pasadena, MD
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-22-2012
Tartan 27' owner

CalebD will become famous soon enough
Re: Transiting to the Chesapeake

Shhh! I don't want everybody to know that the Hudson is actually a decent place for sailing.
I'll bet you will not get much sleep tonight over at Liberty Landing. There used to be a bar near the slips that played loud music until the early hours of the morning.
Look over towards Manhattan and you might see me mooning you. Well, at least a half moon.

Everybody has one:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-24-2012

Heh -- for once, being hard of hearing turned out to be an advantage!

Had a great transit, although the open ocean was a little lumpy yesterday. We saw breakers outside of the channel at Sandy Hook. Since the wind was from the NW, we found the best water was a half mile off shore, of all things, running down the coast of NJ to Manassaquan Inlet.

We couldn't have asked for a more perfect weekend, weatherwise. It was beautiful. As with Camelot, it only rained in the evening to keep the inconvenience to a minimum.

Y'all sailing up in the Northeast sure have some great cruising grounds!

Tom
Pasadena, MD
Old 09-24-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

Tom,

Know you know why Donna and I leave MYC and the Chessie behind every August for three weeks and go to the LI Sound and New England. There re great cruising grounds, friendships, food and sailing along with cooler temperatures. Come join us for part or all of the trip some year.

Dave

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-25-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

Dave,
I may take you up on that even if Tom doesn't.
Old 09-25-2012

Chuck,

Would love to have you and Mary come with us for all or part of the trip. Your new boat will be perfect. We will actually start planning in December as Donna is a nurse and must bid for weeks off in the summer. We usually look to do this around rthe middle of August and wrap around labor Day. Still great sailing and good daylight late and the crowds in the areas are far less as people are heading to geth their kids back to school.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-25-2012

Dave,

I'd love to sail in company with you next year, assuming circumstances permit. Do you sail in company with other boats already?

Tom
Pasadena, MD
Old 09-25-2012

Tom,

Sometimes. We keep it kind of loose and create an itinerary as well as a " furthest point" that we may get to. We don't lock in to l the ports as weather and our feelings is may change once we are underway. We have a couple of places we usually want o o r a couple of des so it's a real vacation.

We have found that not everyone s like us ( anyone) and to try and fit and have all do he same is too difficult, like heading cats, and can cause hurt feelings. For example Donna and I are AM people and like to weigh anchor and gt to our next destination/ anchorage early so we can settle in and explore/ reconointering the town. Not everyone likes to do this. One of our friends likes o putter sound, drink offer and leave 11. So we eave it casual and meet up with them later. When doing the Delaware of Jersey Coast of ourse you have a distance o accomplish and make so we kind of ang together with 5 miles or so of each other.

We also know its important for other couples to have time alonenor want to go to different places so so times on the Sound we break apart...stay in touch and meet up again a few days later. Main thing is to be flexible. We usually meet some of the SN from the LI Sound group when we are up there too.

This has worked out for us in the past and we love sailing ith others this way and hanging out. Main thing is to be honest with each others and not have agendas, but be willing to go off on your own too.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)

Our blog-

Old 09-26-2012

eddie nelson is on a distinguished road

Old 09-26-2012

Pictures, eh? Very well. I posted some to Facebook earlier but I'm too tired to tackle it tonight. I'll see about getting them into SN in the next day or two.

Tom
Pasadena, MD