SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Liveaboard Sailing First Timer (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/92383-liveaboard-sailing-first-timer.html)

F450 09-23-2012 09:01 PM

Liveaboard Sailing First Timer

I live in Miami, Florida at the moment and would like to know if my boat license is good for hawaii. I'm planning on purchasing a used sailboat in Hawaii and living onboard for a few months traveling back and forth between the islands.

I have no experience with sailboats. but do know how to windsurf. What size sailboat is big enough to take on the waves for the upcoming winter months?

How do people get wifi or electricity? Are solar panels recommended?

Anyone know about what the fees are to dock or anchor in a harbor in any of the islands?

Once I land in Hawaii, I hope to find someone that can teach me how to sail.

SeaQuinn 09-23-2012 09:30 PM

Re: Liveaboard Sailing First Timer

I hope you have a lot of Money....

capttb 09-24-2012 10:41 AM

Quote:

I live in Miami, Florida at the moment and would like to know if my boat license is good for hawaii.
What's a boat license ? And what's it good for in Florida ?

Barquito 09-24-2012 11:01 AM

Quote:

I have no experience with sailboats. but do know how to windsurf. What size sailboat is big enough to take on the waves for the upcoming winter months?
Are you talking about sailing to the Islands? If you are, then don't. If you aren't, then what waves would there be in a harbor?

Silvio 09-24-2012 12:34 PM

F450,
Welcome to sailnet. Your post is a little vague, maybe you could fill in some detail of what you are planning and I am sure you will get plenty of advice and answers to specific questions.

F450 09-24-2012 12:42 PM

I've decided not to learn sailing, seems like it costs a lot just for maintenance.

SeaQuinn 09-24-2012 01:08 PM

Unfortunately someone spread a rumor that living on a sail boat is cheap.....I think it was the same person who said you could do Europe for fifty dollars per day....saw him sitting on a sidewalk in Manhatten recenly.....

emoney 09-24-2012 03:53 PM

And i wish they'd remove that site, wherever it is, lol.

Who impregnated the world with the "If you don't want to work and you don't have any money, just buy a sailboat! Oh, and you can usually get a 35-40' sailboat for around $500"?

Maybe I'm just getting a tad bitter as I age......

SeaQuinn 09-24-2012 05:27 PM

I am sure that some think it adventurous or romantic.....to live on a sail boat and travel....just lower the anchor, stay awhile and then when the moment hits you move on to another exciting place.
But the reality is that living on a boat requires you to give up many land based comforts and requires a tremendous amount of planning, forthought, systems knowledge, money, resources etc., etc, etc. Easy, cheap and carefree is not the description that I would give it.

Maybe a tent on the beach, or an igloo.....those might be simpler. Just meandering thoughts....

arknoah 09-26-2012 01:50 PM

I wonder if it wasn't a prank or fraudulent post. It seems a little ambitious to have never sailed before yet decide to live aboard and sail in Hawaii.

Maybe it's just me....