Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-30-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road
Re: can i make more living room on my boat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaulinVictoria View Post
I did some recent modifications to our interior that resulted in a much more useful and liveable vessel.
I put up some long closet poles the length of the cabin onto which I hang 2 hanging closet storage shelf units. These can then slide the length of the berths depending on what we are doing, so now when we are on the boat we can actually unpack all our clothes, towels etc into these and stow our bags away under the v-berth rather than trying to live out of the bag. We can also hang vegetable baskets, gloves and anything else, plus they double as a towel rail. Really simple and incredibly useful.
I also modified the table (drilled a hole, so about as easy as it gets) to enable it to be either fore/aft, or athwartships across the end of the port berth.
Everything can be taken out in seconds, no modifications to any cabinetry etc but a world of difference to the interior.

Sounds handy but ic an't quite visualize it, got any pics?

I'd love to see pics of the "nest" dinette as well.
Huck: One thing that made a huge difference in my boat was those reusable shopping bags, they hang down in the vertical(badly designed) spaces behind each of my settees. The opening is smaller than the space, and you can't even look down into the space from the top. Frustrating space to work with.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-30-2012

PaulinVictoria is on a distinguished road

Sure:
Pole and hanging storage which can be slid fore/aft as required as well as other stuff hung on there. I have 2 hanging storage units, and a pole each side of the cabin.

shadowraiths likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-30-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Some great, low cost and efficient ideas.

I enjoy working on my boat, almost as much as sailing it. Almost. I would take a maintenance free boat any day. Anyone know of one? The point is, if SBL enjoys tinkering with allowable space, etc, then more power to him. I love Paul's closet pole!

SBL, if you are going to liveaboard after graduating high school in two years, then you should be careful of the money you spend to upgrade her. Do small enjoyable or necessary projects for sure. However, I'm willing to guarantee you will be thinking about an upgraded boat shortly after you have full time employment and start saving real money. You will be that much closer or be able to afford that much more, if you start saving now and don't feel upside down with what you have invested in this one. Most importantly, don't make any modifications that would reduce it's appeal to the mass market.
Jgbrown likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-30-2012

Jgbrown is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sure:
Pole and hanging storage which can be slid fore/aft as required as well as other stuff hung on there. I have 2 hanging storage units, and a pole each side of the cabin.
Looks great, all the more reason to finish my V-berth I suppose. I'll borrow that idea when I'm done if you don't mind:-)
Old 09-30-2012

Go for it

Old 09-30-2012

Mobnets is on a distinguished road

jgbrown:
I'll try to get some decent pics next weekend of the "nest" dinette to post.

Since creating the nest, it is so comfortable (5" of memory foam on top of the the original cushions) my wife has abandoned the V-berth, which I now have all to myself. At 6'6", I need all of it I can get where it narrows up. This has freed up the opposite side of the berth for storage of bulky items like extra bedding etc.

Another thing that has made a big difference for our boat was what I have seen advised many times from many sources . . . if you have a hanging locker, quit trying to hang stuff or pile stuff into it . . . put shelves in it. I put wire shelving in mine last year and it actually made the thing usable. Should have done it sooner. Much more efficient and useful that way.

Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"
shadowraiths likes this.
Old 01-09-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobnets View Post
A simple change in the way we configure our cabin resulted in some easy, instant, unexpected storage space for us.

After several years of using our current boat we decided that the dinette wasn't all that comfortable a place (ergonomically) to spend a lot of time. Whenever we'd have guests overnight (not very often) we'd drop the table and make it into a berth and leave it that way throughout their stay. Over time we found it to be a much more comfortable place to hang out below in that configuration . . . sort of like an odd-shaped sectional sofa. Three seasons ago we decided to try leaving it in that configuration on an ongoing basis. We added a memory foam layer, mattress pads, and a comforter over the cushions along with back support pillows that we can move around.

It's actually easier and more comfortable to eat here now (off teak lap trays) than it was as a dinette. Great, comfortable place to hang out for hours at a time reading, lounging, talking, watching TV or movies, or sleeping. If one of us needs a solid surface to eat, write or work at we use the nav station.

The big bonus (and relevance to this thread) was it opened up a huge, open storage space for us underneath. Easy to get to and perfect for all the stuff (duffels, totes, etc. that we bring on and off the boat each visit but didn't have a good place for elsewhere.

No permanent changes were involved. We could change it back anytime.

Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"
Although, I'm just now reading this (months later), thanks for this post. It prompted me to drop my dinette table and pick up a single mattress from ikea. What's really nice about this setup is it not only doubles as a bed for guests, but opens up the cabin, making it feel roomier. While I like my dinette setup, I tend to get bored and rearrange things. So, finding new ideas is great!
Old 01-09-2013

shadowraiths is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Sure:

I love this! How long are the poles? Also, what are their weight specs?
Old 01-09-2013

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

IKEA: Swedish for chandlery.
I look at PaulInVic's boat and i think i see the FLAPPEROLLE curtain, the HOLDEHANGERTHINGEE hanging organizer and the STIFFE closet rod/stripper pole.

Old 01-09-2013

I think the poles are 8ft or thereabouts, no idea what weight they will hold (but they only weigh a couple of pounds), they are closet poles so you aren't going to be swinging off them. Well, you might I guess, I wouldn't hang off a pole in my closet, can't do it because of the bodies taking up all the space.