Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree10Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road
can i make more living room on my boat?

i have a cornado 27 and i was realize that other boats have a table under the compain way were they also step on and can be used as a table. i was thinking if i get rid of my steps were they are i can make a table there were i can store stuff and also have removable steps and make it more room to put stuff and cooking room i was thinking and ideas? i can post pics later
wdwright1967 likes this.
Old 09-24-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough
Re: can i make more living room on my boat?

A lot of folks do just that - google up Lynn and Larry Pardley's Talisman - a 29 footer they built and have lived on forever it seems - they have a table that does just what you are looking at. Images and line drawings are online .
boatime likes this.
Old 09-24-2012

SeaQuinn is on a distinguished road

The other option might be a fold away table. Do you have anyplace where you could put one of those?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2012

emoney is on a distinguished road

You could always add on a room, or finish out the attic.

But seriously, do whatever makes your boat more 'livable" to you. The "status quo" does not dictate that "john's boat" be exactly like "jim's boat". Just because manufacturer's fall into design traps doesn't mean the owner has to follow suit. Do what makes you happy, Huck.
Old 09-24-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoney View Post

But seriously, do whatever makes your boat more 'livable" to you. The "status quo" does not dictate that "john's boat" be exactly like "jim's boat". Just because manufacturer's fall into design traps doesn't mean the owner has to follow suit. Do what makes you happy, Huck.
Yes, but it takes serious courage to start whacking away at the inside of your boat. I really admire some of the improvements people have shown here, but some improvements are not.
Jgbrown likes this.
Old 09-25-2012

Allanbc is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by emoney View Post
I like the idea of finishing out the basement.

Redesigning the interior is lots of work.

Difference between a power boater and a sailor out on the water: A power boater is going some place special, a sailor is already there.

s/v Zotz 1981 Pearson 365 Ketch Hull #375
Old 09-25-2012

Mobnets is on a distinguished road

A simple change in the way we configure our cabin resulted in some easy, instant, unexpected storage space for us.

After several years of using our current boat we decided that the dinette wasn't all that comfortable a place (ergonomically) to spend a lot of time. Whenever we'd have guests overnight (not very often) we'd drop the table and make it into a berth and leave it that way throughout their stay. Over time we found it to be a much more comfortable place to hang out below in that configuration . . . sort of like an odd-shaped sectional sofa. Three seasons ago we decided to try leaving it in that configuration on an ongoing basis. We added a memory foam layer, mattress pads, and a comforter over the cushions along with back support pillows that we can move around.

It's actually easier and more comfortable to eat here now (off teak lap trays) than it was as a dinette. Great, comfortable place to hang out for hours at a time reading, lounging, talking, watching TV or movies, or sleeping. If one of us needs a solid surface to eat, write or work at we use the nav station.

The big bonus (and relevance to this thread) was it opened up a huge, open storage space for us underneath. Easy to get to and perfect for all the stuff (duffels, totes, etc. that we bring on and off the boat each visit but didn't have a good place for elsewhere.

No permanent changes were involved. We could change it back anytime.

Mobnets
1973 Paceship Chance 32/28 "Westwind"
shadowraiths likes this.
Old 09-25-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Mobnets,
I like that. It seems that on a small sailboat the other cabin arrangemnet is better than the one you have - dinette vs p&s settees.
When I was shopping for a boat I just could not believe some of the "home improvement" projects I found. Being able to go back to the original design would be a big plus factor when it comes time to sell.
Old 09-25-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by chucklesR View Post
A lot of folks do just that - google up Lynn and Larry Pardley's Talisman - a 29 footer they built and have lived on forever it seems - they have a table that does just what you are looking at. Images and line drawings are online .
That s/b Taleisin
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 09-25-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccriders View Post
Yes, but it takes serious courage to start whacking away at the inside of your boat. I really admire some of the improvements people have shown here, but some improvements are not.
I daresay MOST major "improvements" are not. Most of the significantly altered interiors I've seen have ranged from less useful to complete disasters that ruined the value of the boat. This is a common theme in home built boats - the first time builders "knew a better way" than the pro's who designed the boat.

It's possible to make a boats interior more useful and functional but it rarely involves any major changes.

To anyone planning major changes to their boats layout, I'd strongly suggest mocking up the proposed changes prior to cutting anything - even going so far as to roughly mock up the entire interior in cardboard or doorskins in your garage.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.