Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-24-2012
Sailboat Reboot

svzephyr44 is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to svzephyr44
Re: Sailing alone??

I would say that size as in length is less of an issue than weight. I solo a 42 foot, 11 ton Catalina in the open ocean. I have crossed the Atlantic in it solo. I happen to be physically tall - 6' 6" to be precise - so the head room in the 42 is a blessing. It requires a bit of physical strength to handle a boat that size so it is not for everyone.

The biggest constraint when single handing, presuming you have the right sized winches so that you can crank in a strong wind, is getting into a dock by yourself in strong winds - say 20 knots or more. Without someone on the dock to help you it takes quite a bit of experience not to crash the boat. But if you do it enough you can get comfortable with even that. That said, there are conditions when I would dock with a crew but will anchor or heave to rather than try to approach a dock.

Ham: W2ZDB Reboot: WDB8435
Web Site:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-24-2012

steve77 is on a distinguished road

I bought my first boat three years ago, and I sail single-handed almost all of the time (unless you count my dog). The boat is a 1966 28.5 ft Pearson Triton. It's a well known model, old but there are still many around. My feeling is that if I were doing it over I would probably go with something a little smaller. Not because I couldn't handle the boat myself, but because when you get up in that size range (say, over 25 ft?) you're likely to be looking at boats with systems on-board- inboard engine, plumbing (head and galley), electrical. For a first boat, if you're planning on doing mainly day-sailing, you may not want to deal with the extra complexity (and expense) of those systems. After a few years, if you find you're really into it, then think about moving up to something bigger that would be more comfy for say, a weekend trip.

For single-handing it's not so much the size but how the boat is equipped and set up. Having a roller-fulling genoa and winches for trimming the genoa make single-handing a lot easier. You're less likely to find these on an 18 footer, so a slightly bigger boat (22-25 ft) may very well be easier to single hand than the smaller one.

Browse the listings on yachtworld.com and sailboatlistings.com to get an idea of the boats that are out there that might look suitable (size and price), and then start looking for opinions on specific boats.
Old 09-24-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

I think the answer to this question depends on the person you are sailing with. My wife gets bored on day sails if the wind isn't piping up. On bigger boats, it takes more wind to get the heart pumping. OTOH, I think her favorite times on the boat are when we just row to the mooring and have a glass of wine while watching the sun go down.
Old 09-26-2012
s/v Ilya

arknoah is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by gnusailor View Post
I now realize that this idea of sailing has become a personal ambition not equally shared.
I love that quote, and it summarizes my situation as well. My wife is happy to come along and will help willingly, yet it is not her preferred way of spending an afternoon unless she feels we haven't been spending enough time together.

On the other hand, I am a relatively new sailor and I am very comfortable sailing my MacGregor 25 foot sailboat singlehanded -- in fact, I often prefer it since it is my escape. I think a boat of about this size (perhaps 22 - 28 feet-ish) is great because it provides sufficient comfort for non-sailor-types yet isn't so large that it taxes a singlehanded sailor unnecessarily.

It's kind of funny: I was at the marina last year and a family friend looked at my boat and said "I didn't know you could sail a boat that size by yourself." I felt pretty good about that, though I know people sail boats much larger singlehanded.

But hey, I was new at this and I felt pretty good about it!
davidpm and srqsailor like this.

Old 09-26-2012

gnusailor is on a distinguished road

WOW!!! So i gather all i need is 12-40'r with a fixed swinging keel that weighs between 250 and 5000 lbs !
Actually all this has been a great help. I can see the main problem I will have to overcome is that I can't park my future boat at a marina and sail it frequently. . For the time being, I will be toting my boat back and forth between home and water (40+ miles) so trailering is a must. In fact that is where I am struggling. I am going to look at a mutineer tomorrow which is very transportable and I should learn alot sailing her. I passed by a 23' MacGregor the other day because I was convinced (she convinced me) that it would be too much for me to single-handedly set up, launch, sail and take it back home. Any opinions? I am now in my 60s but in reasonably good shape.

I saw a Cortez 16' and would like to look at it but it'll have to wait since it is 275miles from here. I also have found an '83 Renken 18'. Anyone know anything about them.

As it sits right now, I would love for a 19' catalina to fall from the sky (not literally of course) and land in my yard, but I dont think that is going to happen anytime soon.

... anyway, I am getting really anxious to get my hands on a sailboat and start logging some hours
Old 09-26-2012
Huck

smallboatlover is on a distinguished road

im 16 and i solo a 27' sailboat all the time i think you can handle a 22' lol
Old 09-26-2012
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road

Don't get too wrapped up in size. A 22 foot boat not set up properly can be harder to singlehand than a 49 foot boat that is.

Lead your lines aft. Get some lazy jacks, a roller furling jib and an auto pilot (FWIW, I don't have one but it would be nice). Set up your slip with some lines to prevent the boat from running into the dock should you miss the line. Learn how to use a line amidships to catch a dock cleat and tie up the boat until you get the rest of the lines on. Have plenty of fenders.

Once you do it a few times, it'll be no big deal. Take another sailor with you who's instructions are to just ride along unless you really need a hand if it helps you feel better.

If I can single hand, anyone can.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 09-26-2012
Quirky

Sublime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
WOW!!! So i gather all i need is 12-40'r with a fixed swinging keel that weighs between 250 and 5000 lbs !
Actually all this has been a great help. I can see the main problem I will have to overcome is that I can't park my future boat at a marina and sail it frequently. . For the time being, I will be toting my boat back and forth between home and water (40+ miles) so trailering is a must. In fact that is where I am struggling. I am going to look at a mutineer tomorrow which is very transportable and I should learn alot sailing her. I passed by a 23' MacGregor the other day because I was convinced (she convinced me) that it would be too much for me to single-handedly set up, launch, sail and take it back home. Any opinions? I am now in my 60s but in reasonably good shape.

I saw a Cortez 16' and would like to look at it but it'll have to wait since it is 275miles from here. I also have found an '83 Renken 18'. Anyone know anything about them.

As it sits right now, I would love for a 19' catalina to fall from the sky (not literally of course) and land in my yard, but I dont think that is going to happen anytime soon.

... anyway, I am getting really anxious to get my hands on a sailboat and start logging some hours

There is a doo-dad you can buy for the trailer that catches the boat and then winches it on. It's made for single handed launches and retrieves. You dock your boat, back the trailer in, then get your boat to the trailer. It does the rest.
I wish I could remember the name of it. It should be easy to google.

I've got a smaller boat I trailer launch single handed. But the trailer is pretty nifty in that if I get the bow anywhere near it, the rollers rotate and will straighten the boat out. I can winch the boat up onto the trailer from the ground if I had to. The boat is only about 800 lbs though.

A ship in harbor is safe, but that's not why ships are built.

My girls:
1974 Alcort Minifish-Minifish
2001 Drascombe Lugger-Penelope
2004 Hunter 260-Miss Muffet
Old 09-27-2012

caberg is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I passed by a 23' MacGregor the other day because I was convinced (she convinced me) that it would be too much for me to single-handedly set up, launch, sail and take it back home. Any opinions?
I got to say, even if it is physically possible to step the mast on this boat by yourself (and I'm sure it is, though you might need some sort of a gin pole system)-- that's going to be a lot of time spent not sailing just to go for a day sail.

If keeping a boat in the water is not an option, I'd at least look for a place to park the boat on the trailer near a launch ramp so that I wouldn't have to step the mast and rig the boat every time I wanted to sail.

With what you propose above, I think most people would do it once or twice and then say forget it because it's just too much time and hassle. In my situation, if I can get a few free hours from my wife and son on a weekend, and if they don't want to sail, I'm at the boat in 15 minutes and underway in 5.

Are you retired?
Old 09-27-2012
Crealock 37

sailak is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My question is this: how many of you sail alone... that is, without a crew? I don't mean alone as in there is no one else aboard, just that they are along for the ride.
I pretty much single-handed our first boat, 36' sloop. Wife would assist with some tasks but overall I ran the boat, she made the food and drinks.

I expect the same drill on our new to us 37 footer.

S/V Elnora
Pacific Seacraft "Crealock" 37 #312