Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012

H and E is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing alone??

I see a lot of Catalina 22’s on trailers that are rigged and sailed solo. I have a Catalina 25 that I solo quite often. (It lives in a slip most of the time) I also have an “A” frame and crutch so I can raise and lower the mast by myself using the boat winch. I do not recommend this for a day sail as it takes about an hour to accomplish. I cannot launch the boat solo without a pier next to the ramp to tie up while I get the trailer in the water with the 20’ tongue extension. The Catalina 22’s are easily launched-I watch a lot of solo launches with them. Also, There are a lot of them around and parts are still available. They are an excellent starter boat and you could spend a couple of days on one.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2012
Stupor-user.

SHNOOL is on a distinguished road

First off, if you are new to sailing, and are forced to trailer sail, sail as big a boat as you are comfortable with. Single sailing is easy on boats up to 40 feet, properly rigged. Trailer sailing solo is hard once you get past say, 18 feet.

I humbly suggest if you want a stable keelboat for trailer sailing (I am assuming keelboat will get the wife more interested, because centerboard only boats can mean you may go swimming at times), there are 4 production boats that are worth a look: Precision 165, Precision 18, Capri 18, and Capri 22. These are reasonably well sailing keelboats that can be single trailer sailed.

If you should consider the larger size (capri 22 say), you will need to come up with an easy mast-raising system. I did this with a couple 2x4x8s turned into an A-Frame, and used the mainsheet purchase to raise the mast.

If time is of the essence, then you'll want smaller rather than larger. Of those above, it'll take you about 35-50 minutes to launch, and equal amount to retrieve.

If that seems like a lot, then go with a 14-16 foot boat. If you still want to get the spousal unit involved (without making her swim), try to find a Precision 15 keelboat, or Capri 14.2 keelboat, or a Capri 165 keel. These are used as trainers for some ASA courses and clubs, but the keel will make the boat at least "self-righting." These above are all nice sailing boats, and a lot of fun, great to start with, but also great to tweak once you are already an expert.

Finally, if you are all about speed and don't care if you swim (spousal unit ashore), all bets are off, get an RS-700 or something, or a catamaran.
Old 09-27-2012
Daysailor wannabe cruiser

lans0012 is on a distinguished road

Is there any way that you can leave the boat setup on the trailer near the landing or on a mooring in the lake? Maybe someone near the landing will rent out a parking space for you, or even give it for free if they can use the boat.

I think that ease of setup is going to be really important if it is just you. Even some small 20'ers can be a real pain to rig. This could make you rethink how badly you really want to go sailing on the weekend if you know you have an hour drive then at least an hour setup and take down, and then an hour drive home.

I've seen quite a few people lose interest in sailing because it is just too hard to get out there.

I used to trailer a powerboat to the lake every weekend and now I'm spoiled by having my sailboat just blocks away at the marina. I don't know if I could go back to trailering. Not to put a damper on it, but consider finding a better way to get out there.

Is there a marina, sailing center, or a yacht club near by? These are less expensive than you think if you just have a small boat?
Old 10-11-2012

FlyingJunior is on a distinguished road
Sailing alone??

I would think a Flying Scot with a furling jib would be great for you, or a Buccanneer. If you swim while sailing these boats, you need to re-consider sailing. I also would really think your wife could help with jib sheets - couldn't you ask her to release that one and pull on that one? She might enjoy sailing on a more "lively" boat, ymmv. For a keelboat, in addition to those mentioned, how about a Sweet 16.
Old 10-11-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

hey guys, be careful out there. I too sail many times alone and my wife did not know anything about sailing but this year I have convinced her to learn. I guess the main problem for her is fear but she is slowly gaining confidence.

And I say be careful because it is a dangerous thing. Most of the times, if you fall overboard sailing alone, even if you are tied to the boat you will die.
With confidence and because we have made it so many times, it comes overconfidence, but it does not matter how many times you have done it, you go overboard just once and you are done.

I am not trying to be alarmist and I don’t intend to stop sail solo but in the last years there has been a frightening increase in solo sailors deaths. That is just the last one:

Unglück: Toter bei Einhandregatta in Holland - Panorama*|*YACHT.DE

If you fall on the water with some wind and the boat doing good speed probably your wife (if she does not know how to sail) will not be able to stop the boat and pick you up. So convince her to learn to sail and explain that is an important safety precaution. Wives like safety and that’s the way I convince mine.

Regards

Paulo
chef2sail and casey1999 like this.
Old 10-11-2012

gs41escapade is on a distinguished road

One funny thing I have learned is that many bigger boats are easier to sail single-handed than smaller boats. Bigger and heavier boats (e.g. my Gulfstar 41) tend to react much more slowly and gracefully than twitchy little light boats, giving more time for the single-hander to get everything done for the maneuver.

OTOH, one should learn to sail on the smaller, lighter 'twitchy' boat for exactly that reason -- good, quick feedback :-)
Old 10-11-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
hey guys, be careful out there. I too sail many times alone and my wife did not know anything about sailing but this year I have convinced her to learn. I guess the main problem for her is fear but she is slowly gaining confidence.

And I say be careful because it is a dangerous thing. Most of the times, if you fall overboard sailing alone, even if you are tied to the boat you will die.
With confidence and because we have made it so many times, it comes overconfidence, but it does not matter how many times you have done it, you go overboard just once and you are done.

I am not trying to be alarmist and I don’t intend to stop sail solo but in the last years there has been a frightening increase in solo sailors deaths. That is just the last one:

Unglück: Toter bei Einhandregatta in Holland - Panorama*|*YACHT.DE

If you fall on the water with some wind and the boat doing good speed probably your wife (if she does not know how to sail) will not be able to stop the boat and pick you up. So convince her to learn to sail and explain that is an important safety precaution. Wives like safety and that’s the way I convince mine.

Regards

Paulo
Is there an english translation for the article?
Regards
Old 10-11-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCP View Post
Anyone accepts the challenge of solo crossing (no one on board except you) must accept the fact that you will die. I have thought about this everyday for last 10 years. I may be able to cheat death by

1. Having extremely strong upper body strength.
2. Wearing helmet and wet suit instead of the traditional Foul Weather gear,
3. Slowing the boat down by remote control autopilot
4. Having a life line runs from bow to stern. The line must be low enough to use as a step ladder.
5. bringing a SPOT or something better and Portable VHF
6. Making peace with Buddha or whoever

Whatever you do, don't fall off the boat. No matter how unlikely that will be. It is NO joke. Soloing sailing is 100 x more difficult than the singled handed sailing. Every minor thing will magnify to become critical.

But what can you do when your SO won't come with you. It is not fair to her either. It is better for her to fly to the destination and I can brag about it for the next 48 hours. If it was only 25 ft waves, I could tell her it was at least 75 ft. I think this is better unless I fail to show up. :P

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-11-2012

PCP will become famous soon enough

Something like this:

One death on a solo sailboat race in Holland:

A participant of the 200-mile solo race was found dead yesterday morning. His boat was stranded near IJsselmeer Afsluitdike.

The boat was an Optima 98 and 60 year old solo skipper had in the past repeatedly participated in the event.

Yesterday morning a German had discovered the victim when he went with his car to the end of the IJsselmeer dike and saw there the yacht stranded.

Apparently the boat was previously run under full sail head-on the dike. When the man approached the ship, he saw the skipper behind the transom with the lifeless head down in the water. He was wearing a life jacket and a life line connected him to the boat.

Probably the skipper fell overboard and was dragged along by his boat. Whether he was unconscious when he fell or lost consciousness trying to get back on board is not yet clear.

Another possibility is, according to a spokesman for the Dutch Lifeboat Society KNRM that the skipper was killed with the collision when he tried to ground the boat to get inside again. He could have died of a cardiac arrest.

The race was canceled by the organizers after the announcement of the accident. The 200 miles solo takes place every year since 1996. Up to 100 yachts participate. Sailed is from Wednesday morning until the following Sunday. Start and finish are in Durgerdam on the southwestern shore of the Sea marker.

The skipper can choose from four different routes, each of which is 200 miles long. During the four days they have to comply with at least 27 hours of rest periods during which they have to stay on anchor somewhere. The race is sailed across the IJsselmeer and Markermeer, the Wadden Sea and the North Sea.

Regards

Paulo
casey1999 likes this.
Old 10-11-2012

Nazdrowie is on a distinguished road

I single hand my 24' almost 90% of the time. If you have the right rigging, you can do most anything by yourself. I've been sailing for over 50 years, so lots to talk about for sure, anyway, enjoy because you'll never forget any situation you run into. Just remember to be safe at all times, always wear your life jacket, even if it is 90 degrees and so hot you can't stand it...you never know when a swift breeze will come up and knock you sideways...
Good Luck and have fun...
Nazdrowie.