Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-11-2012

Slayer is on a distinguished road
Re: Sailing alone??

I single handle a Cal 33 regularly. When you take your wife out, give her the helm. Me and my girl were in your position, but she likes taking the wheel. Now she steers and and I trim and everything else. Or you can just have her take the helm while you hoist and set and douse the sails, which is a big help. For me those are the most challenging aspects of sailing single handed.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 10-11-2012
美国华人, 帆船 教授及输送

rockDAWG is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slayer View Post
Or you can just have her take the helm while you hoist and set and douse the sails, .
x100. I found it is easier to have the inexperience person to take the helm, especially if you have the autohelm. I use hand signal to communicate with the helms-lady especially for docking or picking up the mooring ball.

No screaming, no yelling, and no cursing. If we miss, just go around. It is not the end of the world. I am amazed how many evenings have bee ruined because of docking the damn boat.

Fine Print:
I am old school. Integrity is to do the right thing even when no one is watching.
Old 10-11-2012

whosedream is on a distinguished road

I solo 99% of the time on my Crealock 37. I like single handing. I'm generally tethered. I plan ahead. I have a routine while sailing. I plan for the unexpected.

The skill set for single handing is Exactly the same as sailing with crew.
Skills & knowledge combined the ability to plan ahead as well as react to sea changes comes from sailing experience and practice.
You gotta sail often to develop your sailing knowledge/skills...Sailing skills do Not come from reading books/magazines.

Sailing skills come from sailing.
Sail often. Start with a teacher. Practice everything with instructor.
Sail often. Practice docking alone.
Sail often. Sail in light winds alone.
Sail often. Sail in stronger winds alone.
Sail often. Practice reefing, Practice heaving to, Practice all alone.
Sail often. Learn from & remember your mistakes-- you're gonna make them.

Sail often and smile. It's way fun.

Last edited by whosedream; 10-17-2012 at 12:56 PM.
Old 10-12-2012

gnusailor is on a distinguished road
Yup

A great collection of advice. With the restrictions here, I decided that a small dinghy is the ticket, I have bought a Mutt 15'r and sailed her by myself last Sunday. Boy was it fun. I considered it a success for several reasons
1. I went sailing . Only got dunked once.
2. I went sailing. Found where my limits are right now.
3. I went sailing, got some practice and learned first hand how to control the boat.
4. I went sailing. I was able to get a lot of good input on what I did wrong to get the boat to capsize and will be able to avoid them in the future,.. maybe :-/
5. I went sailing.... and plan to go back

I don't think it would be a good to try to trailer-sail a larger boat at bluewater. The approach (ramp) is rather shallow, so I would have to put my truck completely under water to put in a keel boat so I feel i made the right decision. As many have said... I'll learn better on a small boat, and will have a much more keen "feel" for sailing a bigger one. I plan, once I am doing a decent job, of buying a bigger boat (22-26) and keep her docked either at Heron or Elephant Butte. I should have completely retired so I can spend as much time as I want sailing.
Old 10-12-2012

ctl411 is on a distinguished road

I take my 37 foot cutter out by myself alot. Autopilot helps but not necessary.
Old 10-12-2012

Slayer is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockDAWG View Post
No screaming, no yelling, and no cursing. If we miss, just go around. It is not the end of the world. I am amazed how many evenings have bee ruined because of docking the damn boat.

Extremely valuable lesson. Ladies can't distinguish between excited yelling and angry yelling. Either one may turn her off from sailing for good. I like the hand signals too.
Old 10-12-2012

bljones has a spectacular aura about bljones has a spectacular aura about

22' is a good starting point. A Tanzer 22 is a common starter boat in this area- easy to handle solo, stable, durable, easy to maintain, good sized cockpit, decent accomodations, active racing fleet, relatively cheap to buy, relatively easy to sell, if/when you want to move to something larger.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 10-12-2012
Plausible Deniability

hellosailor has a spectacular aura about hellosailor has a spectacular aura about

gnu, if you're taking along the tourist trade, and you pan to go out for more than a couple of hours at a time, you may want to consider a 28-32' long boat. Under 28' you often can't get any kind of real head on the boat, and without a real head? Yeah, the tourists are going to be real unhappy and life as you know it will come to a nasty end.

Being able to sit someplace dry, being able to stow or prepare food, and having a real head to use, all may not be obvious but they REALLY keep the tourists happy. And you know the old saying, if Mama ain't happy, ain't nobody happy.

Of course if you just want to putz around on a lake or bay for a couple of hours and get some fresh air, smaller is better. Way more affordable, way less maintenance. Just depends on where you plan to go with sailing.

Last edited by hellosailor; 10-16-2012 at 04:37 PM.
Old 10-12-2012
Boatswain

IronSpinnaker is on a distinguished road

If your wife is only half willingly entering into the hobby you need a boat with a lot of ballast. Because the first time you turtle that smaller boat with her on board you will be getting a divorce.
Old 10-13-2012

jambone is on a distinguished road

I singlehand my Bayfield 29' fairly often, although docking in my slip is a pain. My gf is still getting into sailing, and it's true, yelling at your sig. other during docking can really cause an issue. Almost lost her for the whole season.