Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Catalina 22's and trailer sailing generally

One thing to check before venturing into less protected waters is the condition of the keel pivot bushing.

A surprising number of people cruise these boats. We loved ours, but stepped up to a 30 for the live aboard room.

ďIf a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2012
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

I have a Cat22 that I tow with a Ford Freestar Minivan with a 4 liter V6 engine. My van handles it easily.

I have trailer launched boats for 20 years. I have my Catalina in a slip because its just such an ordeal to get it set up each time.

I think its a pretty stable boat and I trust it in reasonable conditions. 15 knots wind and above with some whitecaps we put a reef in and leave one hatch board in, sail conservatively and she is fine. My boat is old, I have gone over the rigging but when its gets really rough and the lee shrouds are slack and the keel clunks. I worry a bit, just due to the age. But the hull always feels solid and dry and not tender. My point is you will really want to check it completely so you feel confident when she heels over.

Last edited by Sal Paradise; 08-01-2014 at 04:29 PM.
Old 09-25-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Quote:
My question is, for those who have a cat 22 or similar, how does she sail?
My first boat was a C22. In light winds it sails like any other keel boat. It relys a bit on hull form stability, so, in heavy air it starts sailing more like a dinghy. It is possible to capsize a C22 if you get supprised by a big gust. Normally it will just round-up rather than go over, but, if it does go over you can get significant down flooding from lockers, the main hatch, and the gas locker vents (if a port knockdown). I sold my C22 to a guy who did just that. Got knocked down, and sank the boat. In higher wind or gusty conditions, I would keep the main sheet uncleated, and sheet in hand. You can also take the precaution of putting hatch boards in, latching cockpit lockers, and maybe even stuffing a sock in vents.
Old 09-25-2012

peterchech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by TQA View Post
Yup 2 litre engine. Which is a BIG engine by UK standards but I realise that it barely makes it of the bottom of the scale in the US. It did the job. I was careful to use a rope between car and trailer, keeping the car on the level.

From Hoot Mon
I have a 2.1 litre on my chevy malibu. Did you have a transmission cooler added?

I guess you used a rope/wire to winch it into the water and back, instead of driving it down the ramp as you would with t truck?

I have seen alot of boats being towed by small cars in europe, I guess you make due with what you got sometimes, though it can't be good on a car...
Old 09-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonScribner View Post
Pete,

We trailer sail every weekend possible. It takes about 35 minutes to step and launch after you get used to doing it and it does give you the power to sail DUW at 70 knots. Ours is a Lancer 25 and is big enough for week long excursions for two. She is a bit heavier than you're suggesting though. Boat, gear and trailer are in the 5500 lbs range so we use our F150 to haul her. If you went with a water ballasted boat, you'd loose about 1000 lbs. If you're serious about this, pick up a copy of The Complete Trailer Sailor by Brian Gilbert. He has lots of great info on trailering and sailoring. In the back, he provides quite a list of boats with sketches, photos, specs, pros and cons on them. It was suggest to me by James L Nelson, friend, sailing guru, swiller of fine brews and cheap beer . . . oh, and noted novelist with many books available at fine bookstores everywhere! Ask for him by name! (Shameless plug for you, Jim) Actually, Jim is a childhood friend, a real character and a good man.

Anyway . . . cheap advice and shameless canvasing aside, good luck with the new boat!

Don,

Biddeford, ME
Just got the book for my kindle app thanks!
Old 09-25-2012
Captain Obvious

Sal Paradise is on a distinguished road

In light winds it sails like any other keel boat. It relys a bit on hull form stability, so, in heavy air it starts sailing more like a dinghy. - Barquito

I think that is an interesting comment and probably true of the Cat 22 and of many other 2000 lb sailboats. Also a great comment about closing the boat up. It does have a 500 lb keel and it draws 5'. The keel on your boat looks massive though.

I sailed my Cat 22 in 20 knots today with just a reefed main and it was docile and poked along great. Its easy to handle with a reefed main. My wife was freaked out by the whitecaps which were rolling the boat sideways a bit, but it was nothing really. After a while it just got normal. I think 20 knots wind and 2 foot waves are our limit at this time with this boat.
Old 09-26-2012
Fortuitous

chip is on a distinguished road

It's a solid little boat. A lot of things would have to go wrong to sink one. Letting the main out pops it right back up, and the positioning of the main sheet makes it easy to leave it uncleated to ride the gusts accordingly in frisky weather. I've only put the crib boards in on my boat once, and that was in 30 kts (motoring on bare poles).

I would feel much, much safer sailing my boat in 25kts than towing it with a vehicle that's not rated for its weight.
Old 09-26-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gfh View Post
It's a solid little boat. A lot of things would have to go wrong to sink one. Letting the main out pops it right back up, and the positioning of the main sheet makes it easy to leave it uncleated to ride the gusts accordingly in frisky weather. I've only put the crib boards in on my boat once, and that was in 30 kts (motoring on bare poles).

I would feel much, much safer sailing my boat in 25kts than towing it with a vehicle that's not rated for its weight.
Nice pic!

Thanks for the info.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.