Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012
snake charmer, cat herder

Location: refitting a formosa in exotic tropical locations....
zeehag is on a distinguished road
Re: Vinyl Striping vs. Painting?

my ericson has a vinyl boot--working fine(10 yrs and counting)--my formosa has a painted one--the divers have worn off much of the green , so mine is a rasta boot stripe-matches my rasta rub rail....havent thought about which i like more-- to me doesnt really matter, as long as the boot is cleanish and no residue from water mung hangs on boat hull. i think for cruising on a low income, the painted rasta colored one is a better deal for me--so i dont look like richie rich....

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

formosa 41,ahoomail cruising

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-25-2012
72 C&C Corvette

CorvetteGuy is on a distinguished road

I did the water line in a 2 1/2 inch vinyl on my C&C Corvette about 8 years ago and it still looks good from a far but up close its far from good, small cracks have appered over the years. I also did the name in vinyl blue first then the same letters in gold but smaller on top, looks great and has been there for 15 years.
Old 09-25-2012

Kalina-Lona is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkywalkerII View Post
I've bought tape from sign and lettering shops, but I think placing a 6 inch stripe is goingo be tough.

I suggest you paint it. I used one inch tape to designate he tope of the line. Use the blue stuff. You can manipulate it until you get it right, not so for the vinyl. Then, use a wide tape to "mark" where you are going o paint. Tape off the bottom. When you remove the middle wide tape, you have your area to paint...

This was easier for me than a wide vinyl boot I put on my old boat.

Skywalker
T27 249
Thanks...I thought vinyl could be tough, but wasn't sure if anyone else was able to do a nice job? What blue stuff are you referring to?

Cheers,
Old 09-25-2012

rugosa is on a distinguished road

Since vinyl is one width, when you view the boat in profile, due to the multiple curve of the hull the boot stripe will not appear to be the same width from end to end. That is why some builders, and most professional paint shops, taper the line to give it a consistent appearance.

And getting that wide tape to bend over the full length is going to be a challenge. I'm in for the paint, but would definitely consider raising the water line at the same time.
Old 09-25-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road

This is what I did with vinyl on my boat. The metallic silver still looks good, and the blue has not yet faded significantly. It even stands up to fender abrasion when rafting without peeling off.

Hull#101

Last edited by SchockT; 09-25-2012 at 09:10 PM.
Old 09-25-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kalina-Lona View Post
What blue stuff are you referring to?Cheers,
Blue "long life" masking tape. It doesn't "cook" in place like regular tape and can be easily removed after several days.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 09-26-2012
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by garyguss View Post
I painted mine as well, used the Green frog tape, leaves a sharper line than the blue stuff, its been on for 4 years so far still looks fine
Good suggestion, but go to an auto paint store and buy your tape. It's about twice the price of Frog, but well worth it. By no means use blue "painters tape". It's only good if you're painting a house. Make sure you press it down with a wall paper seam roller. If your paint crawls under your tape, you'll really hate it.

Another option is to buy the blue vinyl plastic tape from the auto paint store. It's made for taping off stripes before painting. I use 1/4 inch plastic tape to set the edge around all the non skid areas on my deck. Then just back tape the 1/4 inch stuff. Works like a charm, easy to manipulate, and no paint crawling under.

Here's a random paint store. You should have a local store that carries 3M 233 and 471.
http://www.billwrightspaintstore.com/tape.html
SloopJonB likes this.

John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"

Last edited by US27inKS; 09-26-2012 at 01:16 AM.
Old 09-26-2012
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by SloopJonB View Post
Blue "long life" masking tape. It doesn't "cook" in place like regular tape and can be easily removed after several days.
Don't sweat a few extra days. You obviously don't want to leave it on for months, but if you get a little adhesive residue you can use 3M adhesive remover. Cheap and easy.

John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 09-26-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by US27inKS View Post
Don't sweat a few extra days. You obviously don't want to leave it on for months, but if you get a little adhesive residue you can use 3M adhesive remover. Cheap and easy.
I've been using a lot of 3M blue on my deck this summer and I found it was starting to deteriorate after 4 or 5 days - didn't cook on but it came apart when I peeled it up - wouldn't peel off in one strip.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken and opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 09-26-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

I am a fan of using vinyl for a cove stripe. You can change colors more easily, if you get tired of it. Although, I never have.

I've always had a pro do it, but I've done my fair share of names and hailing ports. When applying those, you usually spray a mixture of dish soap and water on the hull so that you can move it slightly. I highly suspect you could have a cove strip made by one of the online graphics companies and apply it yourself. I do not believe the product could be very expensive, as having a pro do it wasn't a back breaker. In fact, I suspect buying the proper paint and supplies could actually be more expensive.

For the graphic lettering, they come with covering on both sides of the letters. You usually make a hinge with masking tape to put it all in place, lift it, spray the hull with soap mixture, remove the covering from the glue side, press it in place and then remove the covering from the top. You still get a few minutes to smooth out air bubbles and make small tweaks to alignment.

Because it comes pre-made and sandwiched inside the two covers, you could have two contrasting stripes made as well. I would also consider a design that broke up the length of the line, so that it is both easier to apply in shorter sections and easier to follow the curve of the hull. Breaking at port lights, or for your boat name are examples.

I also agree with the taper suggested above. Again, I suspect a graphics maker could help with that too.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.