Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest Forums > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012

SchockT is on a distinguished road
Re: Vinyl Striping vs. Painting?

I'm not clear on why people say the boot stripe needs to be tapered. I used a roll of vinyl tape, and it looks just fine.
Hull#101
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
I'm not clear on why people say the boot stripe needs to be tapered. I used a roll of vinyl tape, and it looks just fine.
When it rolls under into the "pinch" at the stern of your boat, doesn't it look thinner when viewed from the side? The boot top on my quarter tonner had to be nearly twice as wide there as forward to look the same width. On my Columbia, with its tapering overhang it is nearly three times as wide there.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 09-26-2012
grumpy old man

bobperry will become famous soon enough

I agree with Tom.
I have designed boats with well laid out tapered bootstripes and I have done boats with just parallel line bootstrips. I don't think it matters. On mdern. contemprary looking designs the straight boot looks best.

What I do know is that if the boot is tapered with "spring" it makes it damn hard to use it as a reference for flotation measurements. Today I draw almost only straight line boots.

If you have a really traditional type boat, say like my old CT54 then a tapered boot with spring does look better but only slightly.

JonB:
The key with any bootstripe is to make sure that the vertical dimension is maintained, especially in the stern as the stripe goes under the counter. This means the actual stripe will have to get wider as it goes under the counter in order to maintain that constant vertical dimension. That can be tricky with tape. If the boot is a thin stripe this element is easier to deal with.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Bob's Blog ....

Old 09-26-2012

rugosa is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchockT View Post
It boils down to personal taste and designer asthetics. Maybe Bob Perry can weigh in on this.
Old 09-26-2012
Senior Moment Member

SloopJonB will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
JonB:
The key with any bootstripe is to make sure that the vertical dimension is maintained, especially in the stern as the stripe goes under the counter. This means the actual stripe will have to get wider as it goes under the counter in order to maintain that constant vertical dimension. That can be tricky with tape. If the boot is a thin stripe this element is easier to deal with.
Exactly. I've never seen it done successfully with tape - it always looks thinner at the stern.

I, myself, personally intend to continue being outspoken, opinionated, intolerant of all fanatics, fools and ignoramuses, deeply suspicious of all those who have "found the answer" and on my bad days, downright rude.
Old 09-26-2012
grumpy old man

Rugger:
I think I just did.

Stripes on a hull can be critical. If you walk around a boat yard you are bound to see a poorly laid out bootstripe that dives down as it turns under the counter. The problem at the bow is not so noticable. But it is there. Once again, the vertical height must be maintained and that means the width of the strip must change. It must get wider as it approaches the transom. The exact amount it need to widen is controlled by the slope/deadrise of the section. If the boat has a very flat run the strip will need to be really wide. So a taped line cannot work. Unless the stripe is very thin and in most cases that would not look very good.

That said, if the stripe is high enough on the hull the topsides may be vertical enough so that you can get by with a tape width. But on a hull like, say amn Alberg 35 you MUST make the stripe wider as it wraps around the counter aft.

Bob's Blog ....

Last edited by bobperry; 09-26-2012 at 12:31 PM.
Old 09-26-2012

rugosa is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=bobperry;926839]Rugger:
I think I just did.QUOTE]

You got me by 4 minutes Bob, but you are there and I am here 3 hours ahead, so I must have been reading your thoughts.

Do you have a clew where Raymond Wall is? I know he moved to BC, designed/built Quanta 28, but have no idea after that.

Last edited by rugosa; 09-26-2012 at 12:48 PM.
Old 09-26-2012
grumpy old man

Rugger:
I'll go walk my dogs and give you time to catch up.

Bob's Blog ....

Old 09-26-2012
Midwest Puddle Pirate

US27inKS has a spectacular aura about US27inKS has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobperry View Post
Rugger:
I think I just did.

Stripes on a hull can be critical. If you walk around a boat yard you are bound to see a poorly laid out bootstripe that dives down as it turns under the counter. The problem at the bow is not so noticable. But it is there. Once again, the vertical height must be maintained and that means the width of the strip must change. It must get wider as it approaches the transom. The exact amount it need to widen is controlled by the slope/deadrise of the section. If the boat has a very flat run the strip will need to be really wide. So a taped line cannot work. Unless the stripe is very thin and in most cases that would not look very good.

That said, if the stripe is high enough on the hull the topsides may be vertical enough so that you can get by with a tape width. But on a hull like, say amn Alberg 35 you MUST make the stripe wider as it wraps around the counter aft.
And that is why these gizmos were invented.
Newegg.com - Bosch GLL2-10 Cross-Line Laser 30Ft US
SloopJonB likes this.

John USYacht 27 "Cora Lee"
Old 09-27-2012

Kalina-Lona is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugosa View Post
Does that mean you scored the G28?
Yes, they have accepted my offer. I am having a survey completed and having the diesel mech. come and check the engine. I'd like to be able to start the Volvo Penta Model 2002 myself, I used the hand crank and it's not seized and started building up compression...so that's a good sign?

This boat has been on the hard for, well this is the third season. When the owners hauled out the last time, they winterized and just put things away like any other year. Some health? issues have made them not return and the marina is selling as abandoned. Other than dirty it's a real nice complete sailboat and looking forward to doing what's necessary to own our first sailboat. There is a lot of info. out there on the internet, the library, forums and everytime I go to the marina I meet new folks who seem interested in helping? Some things you wonder about and it seems nice to write forums and get good practical advice and answers.

Cheers,