Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2012

marcberoz is on a distinguished road
Help me decide - Mooring bitt or cleat?

I just got a Compac 19 sailboat. It is going to be kept on a mooring for at least the next season. I currently have a 6 inch bow cleat. If I keep the cleat, I'm going to upgrade to an 8" cleat to accommodate the mooring lines. However, I'm thinking about doing away with the cleat and going with a mooring bitt. I don't have room for a mooring bitt and the cleat so it's going to be one or the other. Seems to me a mooring bit would be really convenient for mooring but could be a PITA for docking. I'm on the fence about what to do so I need a push from you fellow sailers to get me going one way or the other. Looking forward to your input.
Thanks, Marc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2012

delite is on a distinguished road
Re: Help me decide - Mooring bitt or cleat?

Given the weight of your boat it doesnt matter. An 8" cleat may be at home on a 36' but is gross overkill for a 19' that doesnt weigh more than 3000 lbs loaded and wet.
Old 09-26-2012

paulk is on a distinguished road

A mooring bitt on a boat that small does not make much sense. It would need to be fairly small, as bitts go, and getting the mooring line around the tight curves could be a hassle. Getting lines off a bitt can also be a hassle, especially when an eager helper puts half hitches in every turn. An 8" cleat is a bit hefty for this size boat, but it would spread the load of dock and mooring lines over a bigger area of the deck than a bitt, which would be better for the structure of the boat. (Don't forget to put in backing blocks.) A cleat would probably be easier to tie off to and uncleat from in general, than a bitt. You may also be able to cushion the cleat with a lifejacket and spread out on the deck. A bitt would stick up that much further and be uncomfortable to lie down on. K.I.S.S.is almost always a good idea on a boat.

Last edited by paulk; 09-26-2012 at 12:15 AM.
Old 09-26-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

Congrats on the Compac 19. My honest answer is that I don't think it really matters. If you want a bitt, go ahead, but you don't need one. There isn't enough room on your foredeck to lay out, so I can't see it being in the way. Just be sure either the cleat or bitt are properly backed and secure.

My personal preference would be to stick with a cleat. I find them more versatile. If the mooring penant has a big thick loop that you need to push through a cleat and then up and around the horns, I do understand needing a bigger cleat. Although, if that is the case, I don't understand how the bitt helps.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-26-2012

marcberoz is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the comments.
I'm assuming most mooring lines will be 3/4 inch diameter - am I right about that?

Delite: You're right, an 8" cleat would seem somewhat out of scale for the boat. I just want more cleat to work with.

On the other hand, here is what a small mooring bitt looks like on another Compac 19.

Don't know the diameter of the bitt post but the pulpit tubing is 7/8". I think it looks good, is plently versatile and I can get a large backing plate on the underside. Paulk - do you still have your same reservations about its usefulness?

Minewaska - I cannot push through a line on the existing cleat. On the mooring bitt I'd be able to fold over the line as shown in the photo.
Old 09-26-2012

chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough chucklesR is a jewel in the rough

I like the bit on a small boat as I think it's actually more versitile - but it depends on chocks and fair leads more than anything else.
The one you have pictured seems to be rubbing on the pushpit before it goes to the chock?

I just helped a friend moor his boat, built a bridle out of dock lines and used both his 6 inch cleats, slightly uneven so he has a 'back up' if it chafes. Not the best, but what we could do.

I've got about a dozen boats moored in sight of my house, not one uses an actual pre-manufactured pennant.
Old 09-26-2012

Minnewaska will become famous soon enough Minnewaska will become famous soon enough

When you have a straight end of a dock line to secure to the bow, I find a cleat easier to use than a bitt. A cleat hitch is easy and I can do it with one hand. Tying to a bitt is either done with clove hitches or figure eights around the posts on the bitt. In theory, you can put a cleat hitch around the side of a bitt, but I guess I just prefer a cleat.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
Old 09-26-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

I just put an Buck Aloquin (7"x7" bronze) on my 34 footer. It is way overkill but it is versatile- good for anchor, tie at dock and holding against large wave surge, and sea anchor if I need it. I like overkill on a sailboat.
Buck Algonquin...Quality Marine Hardware Since 1955
Old 09-26-2012
Barquito

Barquito is on a distinguished road

Going with an 8" cleat may be overkill. However, you will not be able to get a large mooring line under a 6" cleat. What about two cleats, port and starboard? Then you would have completely redundant line and cleat.
Old 09-26-2012

casey1999 is on a distinguished road

I usally find cleats are too small, and never too large. Sometimes I need to cleat off more than one line to a single cleat, so larger is better. My boat bow has two cleats on each side plus the mooring bit in the middle and slightly aft of the two cleats. I use the mooring bit when docked to hold the bow, as well as a spring line to one of the bow side cleats. It is nice to have redundancy on your cleats so if one gives way you got a back up. Also good to have back up so you can repair a broken cleat and still be tied securly. Maybe two cleats either side of the bow and a larger cleat (or mooring bit) between.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.