Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012

JimMcGee is on a distinguished road
Re: Anchor light

Quote:
Originally Posted by overbored View Post
USCG approved means it has been tested and meets the visibility distance requirement. if it is not an approved type then you can not prove it does meet the requirement. someone hits you and the lawyers find out you will be liable
If you're hit by a commercial vessel or even a big powerboat running at night the lawyers may be the least of your worries.

Doesn't seem like a good place to save a dollar. Just sayin...

If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most" - E.B. White
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

The main problem I have with the LED lights atop the mast is because they are quite small and very bright, then tend to look like a star on a clear night. If the entire boat is lit up like a Christmas Tree, the decks and cabin are illuminated, then I'm fairly confident that anyone coming into a congested anchorage area late at night is gonna see this boat long before they spot a boat with a tiny, bright LED atop a 50-foot mast.

I calls em like a sees em,

Gary
waterwks4me likes this.
Old 09-26-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by IslanderGuy View Post
Not that I'm advocating using none USCG approved lights (and I wouldn't) I'm just curious, is it actually required that they be USCG approved, or only that they meet the requirements, the easiest way to be sure being using USCG approved lights?

Seems to me if your lights are not USCG approved, but in the event of an issue, if you can PROVE that they meet the visibility requirements, that would hold up in court.

Of course that means the onus would be on you to prove it, and the fault would be yours if it doesn't, where as with a CG approved light, you don;t need to bother proving it as that has been done for you.

Personally, I think the little extra cash up front is worth not dealing with proving the lights meet the specs, or dealing with officials who may question it if they boat where to be inspected or something, I'm just curious what's actually legal.

Seems like a requirement for USCG approved would be tough, as boats from other countries would have lights approved by different governing bodies, etc.

Anyway, nit-picking a bit here, just curious if anyone can site a legal requirement for an "approved" light vrs. a light that meets the requirements....

Nit picking it may be, but that's what lawyers get paid to do. Jackdale recently posted a judge's ruling on a containership vs sailboat collision at sea case. It is a L-O-N-G but very informative read about what goes into a case where one boat hits another and insurance companies are fighting it out for the money. BTW, this was about a USD$150,000 case, so not big by any means.

Link Here:FindACase™ | GRANHOLM v. THE VESSEL TFL EXPRESS

There are no requirements that I am aware of that any lights need to be USCG approved. There ARE laws that say American vessels in american water need a certain number of USCG approved PFDs for example but no rules about needing certification of lights.

COLREGS state the visibility requirements. But what does that mean? Visible to someone with 20/20, what about cataracts that make it hard to see at night? The USCG has created some standards whereby they feel that a light will meet the COLREGS visibility requirement if new, properly installed and operated.

If a boat hits you at anchor and his insurance company's lawyers choose to do so, they will question the fact that your light was visible. USCG approval will help but they can still question it. Maybe your housing was dirty, maybe your voltage was low etc etc.

If you have the time, read the judges ruling (or even just part of it) to get an idea how there are measures that can help or harm you in a court case but nothing is for sure until it's all argued in court.

Personally, with the advent of powerful LED nav lamps I say there is no good reason not to buy the brightest one possible! Go for 5 mile visibility lamps, they're still going to use less juice than an old anemic anchor light and when it comes down to it, preventing the collision (and the ensuing law case) is really what you want!

MedSailor
IslanderGuy likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-26-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
The main problem I have with the LED lights atop the mast is because they are quite small and very bright, then tend to look like a star on a clear night. If the entire boat is lit up like a Christmas Tree, the decks and cabin are illuminated, then I'm fairly confident that anyone coming into a congested anchorage area late at night is gonna see this boat long before they spot a boat with a tiny, bright LED atop a 50-foot mast.

I calls em like a sees em,

Gary
That's why I have a solar light on my transom and one on my bowsprit. I ALSO run the mizzen-top anchor light, but it can get lost in the stars, or just be too high to see when maneuvering close. The solar lights help (I hope) make me visible down low and show the size of my boat from end to end. I also have some SOLAS reflective tape on the masts and the hull which is really bright if they are using a light of their own.

MedSaillor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 09-26-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Here is a another court case; this about anchor lights.

Quote:
Collision - Breach of Collision Regulations – Offence – Due Diligence

R. v. Bridle, 2008 BCPC 52,

This case arose out of a collision at night between two pleasure craft, one of which was at anchor. At the time of the collision the anchored vessel was not displaying the all-round white light required by the Collision Regulations. The accused was the owner/operator of the anchored vessel. The accused said that he only learned the anchor light was not working the night of the collision and attempted but was not able to repair it. He left an interior bathroom light illuminated in place of an anchor light. The Court found that the accused had not used due diligence in that the accused could have returned to a dock rather than stay anchored without a proper light. The accused was convicted.
Full text - CanLII - 2008 BCPC 52 (CanLII)
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 09-26-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

My personal preference is something mounted in the rigging somewhere or just above the deck. While our masthead anchor light is fully approved type I do take the point that other boats may not be looking up as they come into an anchorage.

Supposedly the Guest lantern is out of production btw.

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 09-26-2012

JonEisberg will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
My personal preference is something mounted in the rigging somewhere or just above the deck. While our masthead anchor light is fully approved type I do take the point that other boats may not be looking up as they come into an anchorage.

Supposedly the Guest lantern is out of production btw.
Not to mention re the Guest, it's not especially bright, and you'd better bring a boxload of 6V batteries along to power the damn things on an extended cruise...

You're right, something like a Bebi anchor/cockpit combo light hung from the topping lift or backstay, is the way to go in a crowded anchorage...

BTW, anyone for whom an LED light fitted to something like an Aqua Signal masthead fixture "blends in with the stars", really needs to have their vision checked... (grin)
Old 09-26-2012

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

How many of you fly a day anchor signal. In all my years cruising from Duluth MN through the Bahamas I have ssen only two and one of them was mine. Or how about a day steaming signal ?
jimjazzdad likes this.

Last edited by boatpoker; 09-26-2012 at 08:54 PM. Reason: addition
Old 09-26-2012

chef2sail will become famous soon enough
Send a message via AIM to chef2sail

At anchorage we have an LED masthead light as well as a solar light attached to the davits and one in the cockpit.

Dave

(photos by Joe McCary)
Charter member of the Chesapeake Lion posse

Our blog-

“Sailing is just the bottom line, like adding up the score in bridge. My real interest is in the tremendous game of life.”- Dennis Conner
Old 09-26-2012
S/V Lilo, Islander 32

IslanderGuy is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Nit picking it may be, but that's what lawyers get paid to do. Jackdale recently posted a judge's ruling on a containership vs sailboat collision at sea case. It is a L-O-N-G but very informative read about what goes into a case where one boat hits another and insurance companies are fighting it out for the money. BTW, this was about a USD$150,000 case, so not big by any means.

Link Here:FindACase™ | GRANHOLM v. THE VESSEL TFL EXPRESS
Thanks MedSailor, I actually read it all, even though it is a bit hard to get through, but still fascinating. (OK, I skipped some of the damages evaluations )