Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012
Senior Slacker

SlowButSteady is on a distinguished road
Re: Anchor light

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
How many of you fly a day anchor signal. In all my years cruising from Duluth MN through the Bahamas I have ssen only two and one of them was mine. Or how about a day steaming signal ?
I actually have an "anchor ball" (it came with the boat). And I have used it a few times; usually in areas where there might otherwise be some confusion. However, I haven't seen many other boats displaying such a signal.
Charlotte Bacon, Daniel Barden, Rachel Davino, Olivia Josephine Gay, Ana M. Marquez-Greene, Dylan Hockley, Dawn Hochsprung, Madeleine F. Hsu, Catherine V. Hubbard, Chase Kowalski, Jesse Lewis, James Mattioli , Grace McDonnell, Anne Marie Murphy, Emilie Parker, Jack Pinto, Noah Pozner, Caroline Previdi, Jessica Rekos, Avielle Richman, Lauren Rousseau, Mary Sherlach, Victoria Soto, Benjamin Wheeler, Allison N. Wyatt
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Last time I raised a day shape everyone who went by wanted to know what it was, been dusty since.. Doh'... Hell I don't even see the commercial ships use them.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.

Old 09-26-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowButSteady View Post
I actually have an "anchor ball" (it came with the boat). And I have used it a few times; usually in areas where there might otherwise be some confusion. However, I haven't seen many other boats displaying such a signal.

I'd always wanted one of those and yay team the new girl came with one. Never actually used it in anger to be honest, though I've run it up for the heck of it. From memory I have never seen one deployed on a recreational vessel.

I guess if I was anchored in anything other than out of way inlets then I would use the thing.

“Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.” Terry Pratchett

Last edited by tdw; 09-27-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 09-26-2012
Morgan 33 O.I. Perryville

travlineasy will become famous soon enough

I use an anchor ball, but probably for an entirely different reason. It's a float connected to 30 feet of line that allows me to pull the anchor out of a snag backwards. Also, in a congested area, it tells everyone else where my anchor is sitting. Just saves a bit of grief.

Cheers,

Gary
Old 09-26-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatpoker View Post
How many of you fly a day anchor signal. In all my years cruising from Duluth MN through the Bahamas I have ssen only two and one of them was mine. Or how about a day steaming signal ?
HA! I fly my anchor ball EVERY time I anchor! I have no idea why, but for some reason I take deep deep joy in being the only one who hoists a black ball in the rigging. It makes me feel oh-so-salty. It is, as Maine_Sail found, quite the conversation starter as well. I feel oh-so-smug as well as I (a young person) explain to the grey-bearded questioner what it is and how it is required etc etc.

As it turns out though, I was not as salty as I thought. I have spent the last 10 years smugly telling people what "that thing" is in the rigging, or answering the question "why are you hoisting a radar reflector" but I was actually doing it all wrong. I routinely used my mainsail halyard to hoist it as it also kept the halyard from banging on the mast at night but I recently found out that a black ball in the forward rigging is the rule. Oops, not as salty as I thought.

I've also caught myself underway, 2 hours into motoring, with the darned thing up as well. On more than one occasion I might add. Now I hoist it in the forward rigging and clip the lower portion to my anchor chain just forward of the windlass. No chance I can get underway with it still clipped there! I have to idiot-proof things on my boat you know....

Mine is an inflatable anchor ball with cord at both ends for a hoisting line and for a downhaul. Since it's inflatable it take up no space and I found it at a swap meet, but I can't say I've actually seen one for sale anywhere here in the USA. One thing you could do is take a small (or large) ball fender, paint it black, and then you'd have a dual purpose item. When you're anchored, your hoisted fender is your day signal, when you're docking it's your fender.

MedSailor

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 09-26-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by travlineasy View Post
I use an anchor ball, but probably for an entirely different reason. It's a float connected to 30 feet of line that allows me to pull the anchor out of a snag backwards. Also, in a congested area, it tells everyone else where my anchor is sitting. Just saves a bit of grief.

Cheers,

Gary
Gary - up here in the PNW, anchor floats / trip lines are frowned upon as they restrict the amount of space in anchorage. They actually will cause grief.
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 09-27-2012
Closet Powerboater

MedSailor is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Gary - up here in the PNW, anchor floats / trip lines are frowned upon as they restrict the amount of space in anchorage. They actually will cause grief.
I'm also hesitant to use an anchor float because I heard of a sailor (from his blog) who was in Mexico and always used an anchor float. One windless day his boat swung around, the line or float got caught up in his rudder or swim ladder and pulled his anchor free. He was adrift in less than 5 knots of wind!

I'll use them if I really suspect a foul bottom, but then again, I don't make a habit of dropping said hook if I feel the bottom is likely to be foul.

MedSailor

I have a sauna on my boat, therefore I win.
Old 09-27-2012
Bluenoser

jimjazzdad is on a distinguished road

This, hung 10' above the deck in the fore triangle, has served me well as it has the Hiscocks, the Smeetons and the Pardys (not that I am in their league). Elegantly simple, uses no battery power whatsoever. Probably meets COLREGS, as long as you don't skimp and turn down the wick too low.
Attached Thumbnails
Anchor light-dhr-anchor-lamp.jpg  
Flybyknight likes this.
Old 09-27-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maine Sail View Post
Last time I raised a day shape everyone who went by wanted to know what it was, been dusty since.. Doh'... Hell I don't even see the commercial ships use them.
FWIW in Boston, the commercial vessels at anchor always display the day shape, as do most yachts with professional captains. I have yet to see an inverted cone in action though...
Old 09-27-2012

Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice Maine Sail is just really nice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post

Bingo.. Just like the guy in a Sea Ray who four weeks ago motored into a very small anchorage, as the last boat in, and decided to bow and stern anchor.

My wife an I watched no less than FIVE boaters, both power and sail, go over and asked him politely to remove his stern anchor, he still refused stating his "buddy", clearly the local Sea Ray dock expert, told him that "When at Jewell Island you MUST use a stern anchor."..

The guy in a large sailboat slowly let our more and more scope until he was almost on top of the Sea Ray, it was a classic and rather stealthy move, and the guy FINALLY left. All he needed to do was lose the stern anchor, so he would swing with EVERYONE else, 15-18 other boats bow anchored, and who were already there well before him.

Local anchoring etiquette always rules the day. In Maine that usually does not include bow/stern anchoring (with but a couple of exceptions), trip line balls or GENERATORS. But I digress....

© Images In Posts Property of Compass Marine Inc.