Stolen Dinghy Located - Page 2 - SailNet Community
 7Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #11 of 30 Old 09-26-2012

Re: Stolen Dinghy Located

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
He asked how to resolve this issue. I said he could buy it from me for a low price, or I'd pay him a small reward for "finding it". He agreed to pay. I feel much better about it all now, and a little proud that my boat is still working after 23 years outdoors.
How exactly did that work out.
Did he have the cash in his pocket?

Did you hang onto the dinghy until you got paid?

Did you end up with any cash or did you just exchange boat value for salvage value?
Quote Quick Reply Share with Facebook
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 30 Old 09-26-2012

Glad to hear you are still with us. Unfortunately you were rewarded for your behavior. I am sure your wife still thinks your nuts.

Tim R.
Out cruising
1997 Caliber 40LRC

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

-----------------------------------------------------
post #13 of 30 Old 09-26-2012

Pounding him unconscious, removing 4 years of rent from his wallet, tossing his empty billfold onto his broken comatose face and retrieving your dinghy would have been a better story. But I'm happy for you anyway.
HDChopper likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Jeanneau 54DS

In the harsh marine environment, something is always in need of repair. Margaritas fix everything.
post #14 of 30 Old 09-26-2012
the pointy end is the bow

Quote:
Pounding him unconscious, removing 4 years of rent from his wallet, tossing his empty billfold onto his broken comatose face and retrieving your dinghy would have been a better story.
That made me laugh, then I felt guilty for laughing. Crap.

Way to go Wandering!

Ray
S.V. Nikko
1983 Fraser 41
La Conner, WA

Boating for over 25 years, some of them successfully.
post #15 of 30 Old 09-26-2012
Tartan 27' owner

I have met Wandering Star in person. He is everything he says and his 6'5" frame and demeanor would scare the crap out of me if I was the guy holding his boat. I'd have paid him whatever he wanted; better yet, give him back the boat.
I would never have mis-appropriated his boat in the first place though.
As a retired law enforcement officer (LEO) he knew what might happen if he called in the cavalry.
We often hear that there is no such thing as a 'free' boat. You just proved that a stolen boat is also not a 'free' boat.
It is a pretty fair testament to his boat building skills that his 'missing' dinghy is still being used and in good shape.

"The cure for anything is salt water~ sweat, tears, or the sea." ~Isak Denesen

Everybody has one:

Last edited by CalebD; 09-26-2012 at 05:54 PM.
post #16 of 30 Old 09-26-2012

WanderingStar, good story. Glad it turned out well. You showed amazing restraint.

I do wonder if I'd have been as restrained, especially if it was a boat I'd built...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderingStar View Post
As for confronting strangers, yes, it is a risk. But I am 6'5" tall, 240 lbs, a veteran and retired police officer. I thought my demeanor would discourage violence, and if it occured, I have the training to defend myself.
6'5", 240, and I'm guessing your demeanor was umm, "serious".

I know that look, sounds like the theif may have had a bit of scare

95 Catalina 30 Island Time

The sail, the play of its pulse so like our own lives: so thin and yet so full of life, so noiseless when it labors hardest, so noisy and impatient when least effective." - Henry David Thoreau
post #17 of 30 Old 09-26-2012
Proud "picnic sailor"

I guess the real question now is, was the payment a purchase or rental? What are you going to do next time you see him with your boat? This could become a recurring cash flow!

I agree that this guy had probably been looking over his shoulder while rowing for the past four years. Certainly not a "free boat."

Formerly posted as "RhythmDoctor"
1998 Catalina 250WK Take Five (at Anchorage Marina, Essington, on the Delaware River)
1991 15' Trophy (Lake Wallenpaupack)
1985 14' Phantom (Lake Wallenpaupack)
post #18 of 30 Old 09-26-2012
Needing Apehanger Helm

Your a good guy WanderingStar..I respect the caliber of man you are..

BUT Never underestimate a good old A$$ kicking it can only help the perp's honor (what little he might have) well worth leaveing him face down in the dirt with a NOW paid for dink !

It would also help your fellow sailers as he would think hard & long next time.

Maybe Im just to old school ... but in my experience settling up doesnt help the perp learn anything .. IMHO the experience of the encounter might even save his life someday Ive , seen it happen.....

My first read on Sailnet today best story all week !!

There is no right way to do the wrong thing
post #19 of 30 Old 09-26-2012

Did you give him a receipt for the purchase so he can legally claim it? Or like someone else said, you can keep going back for more! I respect the way you handled it. Cant say I would have done the same but would like to be able to say I could!

"BLISS II"
1977 38 foot C&C Mark 1
Hull #92
Sailing the Exuma Islands, Bahamas
post #20 of 30 Old 09-26-2012
Breaking wind

Wow What a story.How was it stolen? Was the chain/rope cut from the beach? Im happy everything worked out. that was an assetive move to resolve the situation. That was not mt sainai harbor right?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.