Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree13Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2012
Needing Apehanger Helm

HDChopper is on a distinguished road
Re: Steaming light

How about spreader lights faceing down on at night for more visiblity , would that be considered "steaming light"? ( seems it would be hard to tell the differance between a masthead light and a spreader light both are up high).

Im all for doing things correctly ( the whole point of learning) but trying to as safe as possible (makeing shure your seen) seems to be as important .

As being Captn of vessel all safety responsibility rest on his shoulders..just seems prudent to me & no I am not a Capt yet I ask because Im learning...

Sorry if this is OT...

Last edited by HDChopper; 09-26-2012 at 08:19 PM.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message Share with Facebook
Old 09-26-2012

Stearmandriver is on a distinguished road
No, that was my point... I DON'T believe otherwise. I fully intend to behave in accordance with the lights I'm showing, and act as a powerboat when it comes time to give way. Inconvenient for me, but a small trade off for the extra visibility, is how I see it.
Old 09-26-2012

Stearmandriver is on a distinguished road
Thanks Jackdale, you're correct. I didn't word my explanation very well. The 2 whites total 360 degree visibility is what I meant but didn't say very well.
Old 09-26-2012

jackdale will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailingfool View Post
This is very bad practice. You're setting the circumstance where a powerboat to starboard will believe you are the giveway vessel, while you believe otherwise. should a collision occur, you will be largely at fault, maybe 100%. Maybe you don't care about at fault but a damaged or sunk boat, or injured friends, is inconvenient.
Improper lighting can get you into trouble.

Quote:
Collision – Small Vessels – Improper lighting – Liability

Thatcher v. Schell, 2005 BCSC 1121,

This case involved a collision on Okanagan Lake between a 26' sailboat operating under power and a 19' motorboat. The collision occurred at dusk. Both vessels were destroyed and the occupants of each were injured. The owner of the sailboat alleged that the collision was caused by the negligence of the other vessel in proceeding at an excessive speed and failing to maintain a proper lookout. The owner of the motorboat argued that the collision was caused by the negligence of the sailboat in failing to have the proper running lights and in turning to port immediately before the collision instead of to starboard as required by the collision regulations. It was uncontested that the driver of the motorboat did not see the sailboat until immediately before the collision and took no steps to avoid the collision. After reviewing all of the evidence the Judge found as a fact that the sailboat was not properly lit and that this was the cause of the collision. The owner/operator of the sailboat was therefore held to be completely at fault.
Full text - CanLII - 2005 BCSC 1121 (CanLII)
IYT Yachtmaster Coastal Instructor
ASA 201, 203, 204, 205, 206, 214
As I sail, I praise God, and care not. (Luke Foxe)
Old 09-26-2012

Tempest is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDChopper View Post
How about spreader lights faceing down on at night for more visiblity , would that be considered "steaming light"? ( seems it would be hard to tell the differance between a masthead light and a spreader light both are up high).

Im all for doing things correctly ( the whole point of learning) but trying to as safe as possible (makeing shure your seen) seems to be as important .

As being Captn of vessel all safety responsibility rest on his shoulders..just seems prudent to me & no I am not a Capt yet I ask because Im learning...

Being seen is only half the purpose of the navigation lights. The other half is
to let the other vessel know how they must deal with you. ( give way, or stand on ) and what they should be able to " expect" of you..

showing deck lights, without a steaming light...if you are underpower, is inappropriate..and more likely to result in a problem..
chef2sail and HDChopper like this.
Old 09-26-2012
Super Fuzzy Moderator

tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough tdw is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
I actually sought legal opinion, professional opinion and called the USCG. All agreed.

I think it was posted to CF, but I think I kept the emails.
Sorry Jack, I didn't see your post before I sent mine. We are in agreement.

Cheers

Andrew B

"Do you think God gets stoned? I think so... Look at the platypus." Robin Williams.
Old 09-26-2012
ASA and PSIA Instructor

sailingfool will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stearmandriver View Post
No, that was my point... I DON'T believe otherwise. I fully intend to behave in accordance with the lights I'm showing, and act as a powerboat when it comes time to give way...
Nope, still leaves your bad practice, a bad practice. If you are on starboard and a port tack sailboat believes you a giveway vessel (i.e. a powerboat) and you think otherwise...well you've heard the rest of the dialog.

Being a giveway versus a standon vessel present mutually exclusive obligations, and expectations from the other parties.

PS - Andrea Doria sunk due to confusion about which vessel was standon...

Last edited by sailingfool; 09-26-2012 at 09:50 PM.
Old 09-26-2012

boatpoker is on a distinguished road

Sailingfool, thank you for your continuing use of the terms "Stand on" and Give way" as opposed to the more commonly used and arrogant (and often mis-used) term "Right of way".

Last edited by boatpoker; 09-26-2012 at 09:41 PM. Reason: addition
Old 09-26-2012

capttb is on a distinguished road

Jackdale, reading that decision only makes me more concerned about a court agreeing with the argrument that I wasn't under power because I was in neutral at the time of collision.
I think most of us are just advocating the use of the correct lighting to reduce confusion as intended. When I see a boat with the wrong lights I assume the operator didn't know what was appropriate so just "turned them all on".
Old 09-26-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackdale View Post
Nasty

I would not do that myself. I would have my sails up and be hove-to, sailing lights on (sidelights and sternlight or tricolour).

You are underway , but you are not undersail (not sailing vessel), not propelled by machinery (not power-driven), not NUC or RAM.

I think that the courts may have decide.
I agree. The lack of control would be foolish in most circumstances. I added all that stuff to camoflage the the answer, which I once got wrong on a test. When I went through a Navy Recreational Services boating course I was incorrectly informed on this point. Thirty years later I got dunned for the answer on a, can us guess, Navy Recreational Services boating test.

Quick Reply

By choosing to post the reply above you agree to the rules you agreed to when joining Sailnet.
Click Here to view those rules.

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the SailNet Community forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
Please note: After entering 3 characters a list of Usernames already in use will appear and the list will disappear once a valid Username is entered.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.