SailNet Community

SailNet Community (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/)
-   General Discussion (sailing related) (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/)
-   -   Steaming light (http://www.sailnet.com/forums/general-discussion-sailing-related/92476-steaming-light.html)

AirborneSF 09-26-2012 04:37 PM

Steaming light

Hello again, I have another ? 4 U. If you are running at night and your sails are down, do you need the steaming light? If you are not sailing, wouldn't you be the same as a power boat? I'm asking cause I am getting alot of different answers. Thanks.

CarbonSink62 09-26-2012 04:50 PM

Re: Steaming light

If your are under power (not sail) you are a power boat and must show a steaming light.

If you are under power and sail, you are still a power boat.

Only under sail alone can you dowse the steaming light.

I have forgotten what lights are needed when you are drifting (no sail, no power).

padean 09-26-2012 04:50 PM

The requirements for lights are the same as for a similar sized power boat if you are not sailing. If sailing at night, you won't need the steaming light, however.

Brewgyver 09-26-2012 05:06 PM

You may get different anwers, but there's only one correct anser: When under power, a Sailboat is a"power-driven vessel" and abide by all the right of way rules for such.
USCG Navigation Rules Onlin
Quote:

Rule 3 - General Definitions

For the purpose of these Rules and this Chapter, except where the context otherwise requires:

(a) The word "vessel" includes every description of watercraft, including non-displacement craft, [WIG craft], and seaplanes, used or capable of being used as a means of transportation on water.

(b) The term "power-driven vessel" means any vessel propelled by machinery.

(c) The term "sailing vessel" means any vessel under sail provided that propelling machinery, if fitted, is not being used.

Brewgyver 09-26-2012 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarbonSink62 (Post 926926)
(snippage)
I have forgotten what lights are needed when you are drifting (no sail, no power).

Short answer is if you're not anchored, and not disabled (Vessel not under command), you are considered to be Under Way, and the lighting requirements are only changed by whether you're under power or not.

ccriders 09-26-2012 05:38 PM

Okay, this is a test:
Sails are down, you are drifting with the wind and current, the autopilot is engaged, the engine is running, the transmission is in neutral, it is nighttime, youre having dinner in the cockpit with cockpit lights on. What navigation lights do you show?

capttb 09-26-2012 05:49 PM

Steaming and navigation/running lights, if the engine is running you are a powerboat, just like the guy in the Skipjack drift fishing nearby.

Seaduction 09-26-2012 06:09 PM

If you have the time: Navigation Rules Online

Stearmandriver 09-26-2012 06:10 PM

My theory on this is, I don't so much care at night if other vessels can tell whether I'm under power or sail... I just want them to see me. So whether sailing or motoring, at night I use every exterior light I've got. It's funny how deck mounted running lights can blend nicely into the shore lights in the background, but the masthead steaming light stands out like a beacon against a dark sky, appearing above the background lights. I'm aware it's not technically correct, but sometimes common sense is called for over the books - especially in reduced visibility, light yourself up as much as you can. Only negative I can see is another vessel not knowing that you, under sail, have right of way... but I don't care about that at night. I'd rather just give myself the extra visibility, and have us both alter course instead of marking myself as the stand on vessel.

capttb 09-26-2012 06:28 PM

Quote:

My theory on this is, I don't so much care at night if other vessels can tell whether I'm under power or sail...
Us OTHER vessels really care because we can't tell what you are with all those lights on, shrimp trawler maybe ?