Other Items
Plumbing and Pumps
Rigging
Safety
Sailing Hardware
Trailer & Watersports
Clearance Items

Advertise Here

Go Back   SailNet Community > General Interest > General Discussion (sailing related)
 Not a Member? 

Like Tree9Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-27-2012
HANUMAN

RobGallagher is on a distinguished road
Re: how long does it take you leave?

5 minutes to get the dink in the water, start the engine.
5 minute ride to the mooring.
5 minutes to get aboard, turn on the batteries, open a hatch, grab a PFD and secure the dink to the mooring and drop the mooring line.
30 seconds to walk from the bow and release the jib furling line.

15.5 minutes.

If I choose to put the main up first then it takes another 4.5 minutes to uncover and raise it.

20 minutes tops.

Now if my dink is in the water from the day before 15 minutes tops.

Take into account that I am moored at the mouth of a river with an E and SSW exit so I often don't need that silly loud thing under the deck.
Reply With Quote Share with Facebook
Old 09-27-2012

rwlpatrick is on a distinguished road

It only takes me 15 minutes to leave my dock (I don’t uncover the main until I get out in the river) and about 30 minutes when I return to dock. I usually have another couple come along so it takes another 5 minutes after they leave to check behind them to make sure everything is the way I want it.
Old 09-27-2012
Irrationally Exuberant

arf145 is on a distinguished road

My times are like eherlihy's. I always think I should be able to do 15 minutes, but I don't even come close. This doesn't bother me though. Better I make sure I've covered everything--like bilge, fuel, and oil check-- before we take off.
eherlihy likes this.

2000 Beneteau 331
Northern Chesapeake Bay

Ambition is a poor excuse for not having enough sense to be lazy ~ Steven Wright
Old 09-27-2012

southshoreS24 is on a distinguished road

I can leave the dock in a matter of minuets, basically start the outboard and untie the lines. I usually take about 15 to take off the sail cover, put out the cockpit cushions, get anything all set. Having a furler saves a lot of time.
Old 09-27-2012
Senior Smart Aleck

jameswilson29 is on a distinguished road

30 minutes both ways...
Old 09-27-2012
Old as Dirt!

svHyLyte is on a distinguished road

I have observed that the time required is directly proportional to the LOA of the yacht divided by 1 minus the ratio of the wife's involvement in the management of same.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."

Last edited by svHyLyte; 09-27-2012 at 12:16 PM.
Old 09-27-2012

poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about poopdeckpappy has a spectacular aura about
As soon as the engine reaches operating temp

Freedom comes when youíre ready to sail away. True freedom comes when you donít have to return

Cut off from the land that bore us, betrayed by the land we find, where the brightest have gone before us and the dullest remain behind, .......but stand to your glasses, steady,.......tis all we have left to prize, raise a cup to the dead already, hurrah for the next that dies
Old 09-27-2012

kjretlaw is on a distinguished road

We leave when the wife is ready, she stows the gear puts out the cushions. I check the rigging open the seacocks, warm up the engine, remove all dock lines but two. Normally this take 15-20 minutes. When we get back it's everything in reverse, with a quick wash down included, 30 minutes.

If it's social hour add 3-4 hours.
Old 09-27-2012

ccriders is on a distinguished road

Honestly, I stopped trying to get underway as fast as possible when I realized I was neglecting things, like checking the oil, taking the extra line off the jib, etc. So now I take my sweet ass time and try to make sure I did everything on the list. By myself I'm sure it takes about 30 minutes, but I normally have 10 mooring lines, an extra line on the jib, the mainsail cover, four sailties, engine oil check, seacocks open, get out tiller pilot, blower for 5 minutes, check bilge, engine start, check water flow and warm up, turn on vhf and tiller pilot, get out of the slip, round corner and hoist main, take in fenders, turn corner and pull out jib, set course for 5 degrees, take engine out of gear, and now I'm sailing and the first thing I do is gulp down about a pint of water.
But when I have someone along, its all the above plus however long I have to wait from them to arrive at the pier, walk the longest possible distance on my pier, open the gate for them, back to the boat, safety brief, fitting of life jackets, explain toilet now we are ready to get out of the slip and do the rest of the stuff.
Who sail sailing was fun? Its fun work!
pyewackette likes this.
Old 09-27-2012

SeaQuinn is on a distinguished road

It just takes a few minutes.... I keep everything stowed for sailing....we just have to run through our checklist. Coming back takes longer because we wash everything down and clean everything up.